Channel 4: Amir Khan's Angry Young Men

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by IronBull, Aug 19, 2007.

1. AllyT

AllyT Active Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2004
    This content is protected

2. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I thought it was a good show.

The guy who left was just a natural born loser.

I'm more intrigued about how the physical side can give them discipline. I watched Bad Lads Army and thought it was good.

I'd like to see them taunted and then put in the boxing ring. Then they will understand how calm someone like Khan has to remain when an opponent taunts him or his coach shouts at him in the corner.

Like Dempsey said, the difference between a street fight and boxing is anger and science.

I would have liked to see the show more boxing orientated. I feel the faith angle and the obstacle course is just to meat up the show and give it different angles.

It would be great if they were given eight weeks and then were put into their first amateur fight. Ultimately thats how Khan can relate. He was a hyperactive kid who went into boxing and that made him more disciplined en route to millions.

3. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    indeed.

4. IronBull

IronBull Active Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Im not going to explain what happen in the next part.. but what I can say it did work well and amir did a good job...

5. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm of the mind that we were all born with a brain in our head and though the world around us does have an affect on us, we ultimately make our own decisions.

That guy chose not to see it through and that is ultimately his decision even though his life isn't stella.

The coach tried to talk to him and failed, the lads were a last ditch approach and remember it was the lads who got him to stay in the house.

6. bigG

bigG Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2006
    oops..no wonder he seems so mature!!..think he is still 20 tho???.....or he could fight for the british title...??

7. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    He's 21 on the 8th of December , but don't worry people will be calling him 19 till he's about 24..........

8. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    A fair point of view but you have to also accept he has been given alot of guidance. At some point you need to take responsibility for your actions.

If he wants to sort himself out the opportunity was there. He had Amir, boxing coaches, the religious guys, the motivational army guy etc That was in just 5 days. Can't ask for much more.

9. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    He's still getting KTFO sometime soon, then this show will mean very little, as it's all publicity anyway.:yep

I love seeing a good china cracking.:yep

On top of it, Politics should sort out this capitalistic mess and there will be no need for publicity stunts in the genre of being selfless and helping the needy.:yep

Snicker, snicker.:yep

10. LeedsLad

LeedsLad Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2007
    lol Amsterdam, i bet you were hoping one of those delinquents would crack that china:lol:

11. faisal

faisal Hoolios daddy Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    amsterdam if he doesnt get KTFO in his next 5 fights, you better do us all a favour and stop the repetative posts about the china chin and stick to sucking china hand joe calzaghe ****, some thing which you seem pritty damn good at;) .

12. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Amsterdam takes unfair flack for his ridicule of Amir Khan, his assessment of Khan abilities is actually quite accurate if you ever seriously critique them.

Khan will never ever be a true top 10 P4P fighter, ever.

13. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    And you took unfair flak for the longest time for your consideration of Joe Calzaghe. Both of us tend to underrate him anyway and it takes drugs to fully understand the depth of this great fighter, that's not even fair the flak, especially when the opponents are completely and utterly biased for their favourites and won't give.

Khan is a joke, I'm not falling for this TV show, which is a publicity stunt by the way. Does anyone really think that he truly cares about what's going on? This is to make him look good and most have bought into it.

I'll again state that it is ABSURD for a prospect to be this BIG, to get a damn TV show when ATG's do not. There's your sick Capitalist outlook for you though, cheers.

14. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    But for him not to get ko'ed it would mean he hasn't fought either Thaxton or Romanov and would at best have beaten Lawton , Earl and 3 other opponents who aren't at the level of someone like Romanov .

15. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Well...not quite. Khan is a personality/celebrity in Britain since he won that silver medal. There are many reasons why he has become a personality - he was 17, he was of Pakistani origin and the media were looking for British Asian Muslim heroes, he was a nice, humble lad from a nice, united family, he was coming from modest socio-economic roots - it was like a Cinderella story in many ways - the public took to him like a duck does to water. We all liked him. That is when the Khan brand was created. It has little to do with how good a boxer he has been since or is now...

I also think that Khan really cares about what is going on. Maybe not as much as he cares about his cars, personalised trainers and expensive watches, but he does care. And the older he becomes, the more he will care about the important things, seeing how he can make a good contribution. Let's not be too cynical and let us not forget that he is a very young man - it would be abnormal at his age if he weren't a bit materialistic and immature! But how many celebrities of his age have done the good he has - even as a publicity stunt? All they do is preach - don't wipe your bum with more than one piece of toilet paper, or don't fly more than once a year, when their lifestyle is completely unreal and alltogether wasteful...when they're not in rehab clinics or throwing mobile phones and swearing at staff, that is. In comparison, Amir is a grounded guy and a good guy too - he is not a moral hero, he is not a saint, but he is a good guy, especially for someone his age. He is milking his celebrity status sure - they are all doing it more or less, when it suits them, but as long as he does some good along the way - let us not be too harsh - it might lead to some good. All this doesn't mean, of course, that we should think Amir is a better boxer just because of all his charitable contributions or high public profile - these two things should be separated in our minds. But a personality/ celebrity, he nevertheless is. And his contribution to society is also a positive one, hyped up/ china chinned or not.:good