Chavez sr vs Duran

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ph33rknot, Mar 24, 2019.

1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Addressed this below in my post to big Philly... you pretty much touched on what I mentioned to him. So we're in agreement, and why I don't think Ike's was better, he just used it more imo

ETM and roughdiamond like this.
  2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    you presented a strong case with good video examples to back up your opinions.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  3. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Haha Haha Chavez being KO'd at 135. Sure buddy. Yeah fukn sure. Not just sure buddy but yeah fukn right buddy.
    Hahahahhahahaha
    Chavez being KO'd by anyone in the history of boxing when it comes to under 140. Just not happening. Not in his prime. No way.

4. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Ah..bad news he was 72-1 at one point in his career. Most of that at lightweight. That's just the fact though don't let that stop you

The Morlocks likes this.
  5. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    That cool. So he lost one. LoL
    But he does everything way better than anyone in the history of boxing.
    LOL

6. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Ok I can't vouch for everyone else posts. I don't know who is saying way better. I don't even see Chavez getting s*** on really. In reality Duran has advantages over him in quickness, in defense, in boxing ability and overall power. That doesn't mean Julio was weak in those areas. IF Duran wasn't a special fighter could somebody please tell me why he is the only one to win the lightweight title as well as the middleweight title.

The Morlocks, Reinhardt and JC40 like this.
  7. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Duran might not KO Chavez. Julio had a tough neck. If he did stop Julio it could be an accumulation. Like too many right hands landing flush. We're talking about a guy that proved he could hurt middleweights. That's probably the reason

The Morlocks and JC40 like this.
  8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah i poured over some Chavez at 135 last night and i don't see it either.

The Morlocks and JC40 like this.
  9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    He did beat everyone at lightweight hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Morlocks likes this.
  10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Cheers mate.

The Morlocks likes this.
  11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Duran didn't actually lose that "one" at lightweight". He also came back and beat the guy twice at lightweight.

The Morlocks likes this.
  12. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    Duran was the bigger puncher, physically stronger and had quicker feet but Chavez had quicker hands, better jab, more accurate puncher, better head movement, and was a more patient and smarter fighter.

13. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Well I did pick JCC, and have not changed my pick....but quicker hands? He didn’t have quicker hands even at SFW in this contrast, let alone at LW. This one does not ring true. Is there a fight where JCC showed quicker handspeed than Duran? I am watching a bunch of his fights and don’t want to miss one that showcases this. In regards to Mario Martinez and Ruben Castillo, JCC out worked them, but they both were quicker in terms of jab and combos and handspeed. Not sure I see the evidence for this one

Reinhardt and KuRuPT like this.
  14. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Well... if you keep saying something enough, eventually you start to believe it eh?

The Morlocks and Reinhardt like this.
  15. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    If Chavez had better balance, was a more accurate puncher, more consistent power, just as good of a chin, better body puncher, better footwork, and some even say better head movement and defense etc.
    I want to ask to the Chavez side why these traits didn't serve him better even at 147 against somebody like Oscar? I get there or other variables so I'm not expecting him to go all the way to 160. Julio wasn't capable of hurting Oscar at 147. That could have been just age but he looked like he lacks firepower as well. His defense wasn't slick enough to survive at a higher weight.

The Morlocks and Reinhardt like this.