Compare Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MrBumboclart, Jul 24, 2013.

1. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Dempsey was much faster, Marciano the harder puncher (even though Dempsey could puch like hell) and better stamina.

Chins were probably about the same. Defensively they had the ability to bob and weave (they were pretty deceptive in this area,( Marciano in particular). Dempsey was ahead of his time with his combination punching and Marciano was more of a sledge-hammer puncher.

I 'd give Marciano the edge based on stamina, superior strength and punching power.

2. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I don't know of anyone who watched both men live and in person who picked Marciano. Arcel and Fleischer both said you cannot compare Marciano to Dempsey except as a puncher. Dempsey was the much more highly skilled fighter.

3. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Your analysis of Dempsey v Marciano is very good.

However that list - whether legacy or h2h - is ridiculously US biased.
    Tyson would beat most of those you have above him.
    Lennox at #9, neither K bro in the list :patsch :huh
    They would clean out that list - many of them easier than most fans can imagine (b/c they don't want to believe their old heroes would get beat).

4. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    US biased? only a handful of hwt champions have come from outside the US. No matter what a top ten will be heavily concentrated with US born fighters.

5. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Marciano went 49-0 (43) overall, 7-0 (6) in HW World Title Fights, and 6-0 (5) vs. Hall of Famers Louis, Walcott x2, Charles x2, and Moore. He was down only twice and won by KO in both fights.

Dempsey didn't beat the likes of a very faded but still tough Louis, a past prime but well prepared Charles x2, Walcott x2, and Moore. Dempsey didn't even fight the best contender he could have faced... Harry Wills. Dempsey was a bad mofo, but Marciano was better.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Marciano beats 4 Dempsey's at the same time. Dempsey beats 5 Marciano's upon a luncheon break. Please.

7. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Not by what those that saw them both live and in person. That's something neither of us could ever do. Dempsey was considered the far greater fighter.

8. Hookie

Dec 19, 2009
    Yeah.. how many times are you gonna write that? So and so said that... or... People that actually saw them both said...

Just because they said it... don't make it the truth.

Muhammad Ali said Douglas was gonna knock out Holyfield. George Foreman said he was afraid of Frazier... and Norton! Opinions are like azsholes... everybody has one, and most of them stink.

9. Hookie

Dec 19, 2009
    ...and Frazier used to get rated above Foreman until the 90's! My point? Just because some old fart says its so... doesn't mean it is. Think of something new to say man!

10. Hookie

Dec 19, 2009
    I've seen every bit of video that is available of Dempsey and Marciano. I've read everything I could possibly read about both. That's all I can do... I still feel that Marciano was better... but who really gives a ****? We will never know for sure.

11. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

agreed, foreman by ko every time that they ever fought

12. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    This battle may start out with serious action....Dempsey usually started quick and Rocky liked to take you to the limit and finish you. Dempsey was fast of the offensive but could also be countered.

Marciano was not as easy to hit as many say and he could catch a guy that was coming at him....Rex Layne showed toughness getting off the floor against Bob Satterfield and at 34-1-1 beat every man to beat him or draw with him but Marciano ruined him as he did to many in a tough battle.

Marciano has the better proven one punch power and stamina as well as late power over 15 rounds

Marciano beat the better opposition as champion while a rusty JD showed flashes of great power and speed vs Tunney and power vs Sharkey (who were good fighters)

I am not sure how well they would do vs the others opposition but both have a chance of coming out on top, however the skill level Marciano faced against JJ Walcott, Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore (on his best win streak ever) was superior to Dempseys

both men had solid chins but Marciano fought the harder more accurate punchers in Walcott, Charles and Moore, Tunney was accurate and had good legs but was not the puncher of a Charles, Walcott or Moore

both men were good finishers but Marciano had the better late fight stops and KO's (stamina again along with late power)

would Marciano KO Willard as quickly probably not, would Dempsey be able to catch Walcott and Charles, possibly but these men also had ability on par with Tunney so I give Marciano the strong edge against boxers. Marciano beat guys that were 6"4 and over 250 lbs but Dempsey has the edge vs big guys of quality (this was not Marciano's fault the big guys were beaten by Moore, Charles, Lastarza, and Satterfield and knocked out of the # 1 spot so Marciano fought the most # 1 contenders.

In a match that exhibits brutal power and perhaps a few early knock downs Marciano continues to up the pace and punch the arms neck shoulders and Jack does the same with his hands of stone but in this battle of attrition Marciano's proven stamina and late power take JD by a clean KO sometime between the 10th and the 15th

13. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Bummy I respect your opinions. I don't like to repeat myself, but as I once posted before, during Marciano's reign as titleholder 1954-55 , a boxing survey of top boxing writers, trainers and ex boxers who were old enough to see Dempsey from 1919-23 fight and of course Rocky Marciano, the present champion at that time, picked Jack Dempsey over Marciano by an almost unanimous choice...Should not these veteran boxing people
    who adored Marciano, most assuredly no more than anyone today ?
    Virtually to the man they chose the prime Dempsey over Marciano, because of his much greater speed, and accuracy ...Of course I never saw Dempsey of 1919-23 fight but I saw Marciano decimate Carmine Vingo in Rocky's first fight in NY and saw him train at Grossinger's, and I loved the raw power of
    ATTRITION that Marciano possessed, but I agree with the pollsters and
    believe that Dempsey in close on the attack, needed 6inches to flatten a man, and Marciano would not survive a Dempsey in his prime attack...
    I know today MOSTLY on ESB ,Dempsey comes across as an ogre who was overated, but I believe all the experts who saw him and raved about him
    over today's ESB detractors, for dang sure...I also believe that a Joe Louis
    of the Max Baer era would have destroyed Rocky Marciano ...Speed kills as they say...cheers...

14. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

Burt I respect your opinion as well and I know you have spoken to many in the past who actually saw Jack Dempsey in action. I met JD and he was impressive even as an old man hard as nails. I remember the old Ring magazine people and the old timers all remember Dempsey as the best heavyweight they ever seen, Nat Fleischer loved Johnson and Langford as well but the majority of the old timers said they never saw anything like Jack Dempsey up until that time.

The next generation of fight people those born later in the 30's 40's were big Marciano fans. My uncles rooted against him because he fought against Vingo and Lastarza from NY but later recognized his greatness

Joe Louis for me is the greatest fighting machine ever

Still we can all make our best guess and boxing is a matter of styles vs styles but both Dempsey and Marciano are in my top 4 and Louis my # 1 but who really knows who would win we can only guess. I think even Louis said Marciano crowded him and he would have always had trouble with him

Dempsey said Marciano was a harder one punch fighter than he was and Marciano said Louis and Dempsey were great. Joe Frazier said the 2 men that he could not beat were Louis and Marciano

Ali and Holmes said Marciano would be there toughest fight of the ATGs

But Burt I have always had a high opinion of Dempsey unlike most on here and he would do damage and hold his own with the top 5 ATG Louis,Marciano,Ali,etc but we can only make our best guess

Best

BD

15. JLP 6

JLP 6 Fighter/Puncher Full Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nice short convo Burt and Bummy.