CONSENSUS top ten heavyweights as of 10/18/22.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Oct 18, 2022.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Based on my four threads...

1. Tyson Fury
    2. Olexsandr Usyk
    3. Deontay Wilder
    4. Joe Joyce
    5. Anthony Joshua
    6. Andy Ruiz
    7. Martin Bakole
    8. Filip Hrgovic
    9. While Zhang
    10. Dillion Whyte

The methodology is not perfect, but I think it is pretty good, and I think we came to a reasonable list, although personally I was surprised Makhmudov did not get in there.

First, establish the champ:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...eavy-usyk-or-fury.694191/page-3#post-21989491

1. Fury
    2. Usyk

Then #3, which was Wilder, with Joyce close on his heels, and Joshua having a solid showing. No one else got a single vote:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/so-who-is-the-3-heavyweight-in-the-world-after-tonight.694092/

1. Fury
    2. Usyk
    3. Wilder
    4. Joyce
    5. Joshua

Now, for the #6 heavy in the world, which was easily Ruiz, with only Bakole getting significant votes otherwise:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/all-right-then-who-is-the-6-heavyweight-in-the-world.694149/

1. Fury
    2. Usyk
    3. Wilder
    4. Joyce
    5. Joshua
    6. Ruiz
    7. Bakole

Finally, sort out the three that were tied after Bakole:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...-hrgovic-zhang-or-whyte.694192/#post-21989496

1. Fury
    2. Usyk
    3. Wilder
    4. Joyce
    5. Joshua
    6. Ruiz
    7. Bakole
    8. Hrgovic
    9. Zhang
    10. Whyte

Please discuss.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    theanatolian, Elvizzz, AdamT and 5 others like this.
  2. JDub

JDub Active Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Without any bias swaying the votes it's probably.....

1. Usyk
    2. Fury
    3. Joshua
    4. Wilder
    5. Joyce
    6. Ruiz
    7. Sanchez
    8. Hrgovic
    9. Whyte
    10. Parker

3. cleglue1

cleglue1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I honestly would put Hrgovic and Zhang higher, maybe its just because I'm a fan of their fight. I honestly think they both put hands on everyone but Usyk, Fury and Joyce. They put hands on Wilder but Wilder eventually probably catches them with something.

JunlongXiFan, sasto and catchwtboxing like this.
  4. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I love Usyk's toughness & spirit, but Fury has done more at HW to warrant #1.
    I will root for Usyk when they fight, & IF Fury is not allowed much clinching, he at least has a decent chance.

5. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Its not a bad re-arrangement. I personally have Joshua as #3.

JDub likes this.
  6. DobyZhee

DobyZhee VIP Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I have never seen Usyk or Anthony Joshua fight..

sasto likes this.
  7. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Do yourself a big favor and check out some YouTube. Usyk is a legit great, and Joshua is very fun fighter to watch.

JunlongXiFan, sasto and DobyZhee like this.
  8. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    1. Naoya Inoue
    2. Tyson Fury
    3. Oleksandr Usyk
    4. Joe Joyce
    5. Joseph Parker
    6. Anthony Joshua
    7. Deotay Wilder
    8. Andy Ruiz
    9. Zhilei Zhang
    10. David Ortiz

9. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I'd have Fury at the number 1 spot myself. His win over Wlad still ranks higher than 2 wins over Joshua for Usyk, if we pretend Fury wasn't on a diet of boar meat for that fight which he very likely was. But I have no problem with people ranking Usyk number 1, until they fight neither can really make a strong claim for the number 1 spot.

I personally wouldn't have Bakole top 10 or at least lower in the rankings, beating unproven Yoka isn't enough in my opinion. Same with Zhang losing a close fight to Hrgovic.

Maybe Bakole could be 10th at best but I couldn't personally rank him any higher for beating Yoka who lets be honest hadn't done anything note worthy at heavyweight as a pro up to that point. It would be like ranking Sanchez top 10 for beating Ajagba or Helenius for beating Kownacki. Plus with a loss to Hunter I would still find it hard to put Bakole ahead of Hunter and with Hunter's form dropping off a cliff it's even harder for me to justify Bakole as a top 10 heavyweight.

I'd personally still have Parker top 10 despite losing to Joyce, he's a more proven quantity and I think he could beat both Bakole and Zhang, though I'm less confident about Zhang but he could win on points as neither of them have good stamina and would fade later in the fight.

I'd have Whyte higher and Hrgovic lower. Losing to Fury was expected but he's a more proven quantity than the likes of Zhang, Hrgovic and Bakole, so I personally have him 7th behind Ruiz. But wouldn't shock me if he lost to all of them, his chin and defence at times is shocking and with the Povetkin loss and all the tough fights he's had I think we've seen the best of Whyte and he will only rack up more losses if he faces anyone decent. I would probably favour Parker to beat him in a rematch right now but until he loses to someone worse than Fury I can't drop him any lower than 7th or maybe 8th at worst.

I couldn't have Wilder any higher than 4th, ducking Wlad, Joshua and getting your ass kicked 3 times, twice by 2 of the worst versions of Fury we've ever seen doesn't warrant a 3rd spot in my opinion. I'd still rank Joshua higher at 3rd. Yeah he's coming off 2 losses to Usyk but it's Uysk who I think would school Wilder even worse than he did Joshua.

10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    1. Usyk
    2. Fury
    3. Joyce
    4. Wilder
    5. Joshua
    6. Hrgovic
    7. Bakole
    8. Sanchez
    9. Dubois
    10. Zhang

Numbers 6-10 is a hard pick because none of them have been given a chance against the top 5. Except for Dubois who did enough to prove he belongs at the lower end of top 10.

Parker has proven now enough times that he isn’t elite.
    Whyte’s punch resistance is completely gone.
    Ruiz Jr has lost his hunger for boxing since he got the AJ payday.
    Ortiz is absolutely ancient and can only fight a maximum of 6 rounds at pace.

11. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Not sure about Bakole at all, but definitely sure he isn't ahead of the three behind him.

I had a brief moment of hype after his last win, but we always knew there was something off about Yoka. The Hunter loss is aging poorly. But it is hard to say exactly who should go in that #10 spot.

At the beginning of the year you could make a credible HW top 5 and that's about it. Now you can make a good top 8-9.

The division really is improving, slowly but surely.

What are you saving yourself for marriage? Save yourself money on a night's entertainment and watch AJ vs Ruiz 1.

Brighton bomber and DobyZhee like this.
  12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I had an issue with the Hunter loss and the excuse that he was getting over the death of a family member when they fought.

Then when he smashed Yoka upside down and beat Kuzmin, he showed that he did have something about him. That the death of a family member did affect him, so it’s written off.

13. DobyZhee

DobyZhee VIP Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Lemme finish this crappy movie called “Amsterdam”

This movie is awful.

sasto likes this.
  14. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    >Without any bias
    >Hrgovic but no Zhang
    >Sanchez above Whyte and Parker
    >Wilder above Joyce and Ruiz

No. Resume would surely be the primary thing swaying a so-called "unbiased" list.

15. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    David O Russel hasn't made a good movie in almost a decade. He's living off past glory hence the loaded cast. So not surprised that this film sucks. I watched the trailer and it bored the socks off me and I sat there wondering why all these amazing actors signed up for such a boring movie.

DobyZhee likes this.