Could Joey Archer upset Carlos Monzon?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Apr 11, 2008.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    The fundamentally sound Archer against King Carlos...Would Monzon experience trouble with another excellent left jab (from Archer)?...:think

2. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I would expect so, Archer was apretty good fighter, He just fall behind the real elite of the group. He did put Robinson in retirement. I still think Monzon wins, with his arkward style, but it will be a close one.

3. DFW

DFW Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Joey Archer was a good one. He was able to outfox Dick Tiger, Rubin Carter and Holly Mims etc. So it certainly isn't all that impossible that he could upset Monzon. I would give him an excellent chance.

4. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Archer did not have great power but he was a excellent boxer with an IRON chin, I could see him giving Monzon a lesson but Joey had scar tissue that opened and Carlos could open a cut. Monzon had good skill as well as power but Archer could edge him

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't think Archer would have actually upset Monzon, but I think that he would have gone 15 close rounds with him. I don't think Monzon ever had to be too dependent on his power to win fights, and against the ultra clever Archer, he'd have to use that superior ring generalship of his, along with some rough tactics to eke out a close decision over Archer. Archer was not a puncher at all, so he wouldn't threaten Carlos at all in that regard, but he would trouble him with his speeddy cleverness and that jab of his. Monzon would have used the similar tactics of the first Benvenuti bout to slow down Joey enough to punish him and rough him up physically. As Archer had an anvil for a chin, like Monzon, neither man would put the other down, although Monzon would have hurt Archer with his right. It would be a super tough, close fight that would have been decided on points. I think Monzon's roughness and controlled style would have prevailed.

6. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Joey was clever enough to give carlos fits early on but he'd have been ground down in the second half of the fight and the Argie's heavy artillery starts to become a factor. Archer's best chance of upsetting Monzon is probably by calling him a 'Filthy Indian Maricon". :p

7. bumdujour

bumdujour Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2007
    i think this would be a close one, and appels and oranges type of fight. archer would trouble him early, but monzon would grind out a win by ud late.