Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by houmzz, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Disappointingly, the WBC seems hell-bent on making it one and is willing to ruin its own Cruiserweight class to make it a reality.

I hope that 6 months from now you speak the truth - because I think it's an awful idea.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Well, maybe it is not bad idea.
    A lot of boxers are suitable for this weight in limits but they are even " smaller " than Pov at 224-225-228 lbs. They are called as too small for HW and too large for CW if they have to work too much to make weight. Maintain very low fat % etc.
    For boxing orgs ofc this is good. More belts = more fees.

BeantownAll likes this.
  3. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Yes - that is very definitely true. Bridgerweight is logical for some fighters given their builds.

My concern is not Bridgerweight, itself. My concern is that the other federations will follow the WBC's lead and cap Cruiserweight at 190 lbs. This would mean:

LHW - 168-174 lb limit
    CW: 175-190 lbs
    BW: 191-224 lbs

It's going to give CW even greater problems attracting and retaining fighters.

velagod, DanielDimov and Surrix like this.
  4. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Jeremiah Milton will face Rodney Moore in a 6 rounder on May 1.

BeantownAll likes this.
  5. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    That’s the first time I’ve ever heard SBW described as too small :dunno

He’s not as tall as Fury/Wilder/Joshua but he’s taller than the likes of Parker, Whyte, probably Pulev etc etc (you can’t trust the listed heights for this...SBW is right around 6’4” or a shade less, none of those other guys are)

....and he’s 240lb without an ounce of fat on him

Of course, it’s all academic as he’s not going to be fighting any elites anyway

6. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
  7. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Early days for Mitlon - but he might be worth keeping an eye on. He was in the Joyce camp for the Dubois fight last year.

Looks like the Rodney Moore fight has vanished on Boxrec, though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    Inglis_1 likes this.
  8. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks. Yes, I am in the USA.

kostya by ko likes this.
  9. Inglis_1

Aug 4, 2018
    Waste of time fight not that I rate Wardley tbh. He's a KO waiting to happen imo and was lucky that Molina didn't come with the intention to win.

Chuck Norris likes this.
  10. Guru88

Guru88 Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Wouldn’t shock me in the slightest if Webb banged him out

11. Inglis_1

Aug 4, 2018
    Hope so haha. No doubt there would be a rematch clause in place if that did happen as is always the case with matchroom fighters.

12. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    At the moment I regard Nick Webb as the "UK's Cassius Chaney". There is limited data for both these fighters - but what we've got isn't encouraging.

Not sure what to make of Wardley yet. Eric Molina has a big, sneaky right hand - but very little else. He wasn't far off 39 years old when Wardley fought him.

13. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    BoxRec reports that Nkosi Solomon knocked out Demonte Cherry (now 1-8-0) last weekend. Solomon moves to 3-1-0.

Some of you might remember Solomon from his inauspicious debut for Matchroom a couple years ago when he rewarded Eddie Hearn's faith by getting dropped twice by little-celebrated Matt Cameron. He then failed a drug test a few months later - after his second fight

This is Solomon's 2nd fight (the first was last December against the profoundly-unsuccessful Michael Davis) since a nearly two-year layoff.

Inglis_1 likes this.
  14. Inglis_1

Aug 4, 2018
    At least Chaney is undefeated haha despite his dodgy chin and might get an undeserved title shot somewhere unlike Webb.