Dave Allen on RTs Podcast

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Dec 20, 2018.

1. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Fair enough mate. All I meant was that as a professional boxer he has never been in the right condition for us to see how good he is.

2. Fhaggis

Fhaggis Active Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I agree bud, just saying what was said. His dad wasn't clearly a ******* to him and it's like he's a fat mess to spite his dad

tee_birch likes this.
  3. underwraps

underwraps Active Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I know Dave ain't gonna be a world beater, but he is young, deffo got balls and has one thing that you can't teach... A chin. I like to see him with a good trainer and nutritionist( spelling) and a 12 week camp. He can earn a good living at British, maybe Euro fringe level,if nothing else.

4. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Even the best of boxers are worth nothing if they can't sell tickets, that's just how this sport works when there's no governing body. The fact is that Dave Allen brings the viewers/PPV buys in not purely by himself but as a very useful add on to a card. More so than other more promising talents. David Price is also another extra emotional rollercoaster added to cards. Amir Khan is a shell of himself but he brings a very unique asian demographic which is extremely loyal hence his ability to get big fights.

This is the fundamental flaw of boxing, you are honestly defined by the money you bring in. This is why you don't see humble, down to earth technically gifted ("awkward" in matchroom speak) guys go far without backing or without suddenly taking on some egotistic and arrogant persona (a la Mayweather) to sell a few tickets...

305th likes this.
  5. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    It isn't just the Asian demographic for Khan, but his glass jaw, style, social familiarity and amateur/olympic pedigree. As with Price, fighters that could easily be destroyed at any moment will always appeal to fans.

6. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    ^^^
    Spot on. It's becoming like the WWE. Less about ability and talent and more about marketability. It's always been that way I suppose, I mean Cus was telling Tyson to be entertaining back in the 80's, but with a new generation of followers who are used to 24/7 rolling coverage in the form of social media, it seems far more about what's a cash-magnet gimmick now.

Case in point, BJS.

7. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Decent point, but BJS hardly manages to pull of the cash-magnet gimmick as he messes up on social morality causing him to be out of pocket due to his actions.