DAZN PPV - UK

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Double J, Oct 13, 2021.

1. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    There is a lot of disinformation about this survey going around. I completed it, so let me summarise how I remember it.

After normal demographic stuff, and asking what sports you liked, it asked about how you watched boxing - via sub, via PPV, via illegal streams, at pubs, at friends houses, etc.

Having said I'd bought a few PPVs in the last year, it offered some matchups (a mix of real ones and fake one) and asked if I'd have been willing to buy it as a PPV.

There were about 10 matchups there, including GGG v Derevyanchenko, Usyk v Witherspoon (i.e. unglamorous stuff that was on DAZN), Canelo v Saunders and Smith, and potentials like Whyte v Ruiz, Joshua v Fury, etc.

For the potentials I said yes to, I was asked how likely I'd be to buy it at x price, starting at £39.99 and down to £9.99.

So if my memory's right, the screenshot going around is of someone who said they'd be willing to consider getting Whyte v Ruiz as a PPV being asked what price they'd be willing to pay. They were then offered a range of prices.

This is market research. Don't overreact to this quite yet, at least not that proposed price point.

Personal view: if DAZN did this but at a lower PPV price than Sky or BT Box Office, I'd consider it a step forward. But it'd be some way from the original DAZN promise.

FWIW though, I agree with @Jurgen. If you don't like it when it comes - and I don't doubt it will come at some price point - vote with your wallet. All the broadcasters take boxing fans for granted, with the exception of Channel 5.

2. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I agree. The tv production on Sky Sports is better than DAZN.

Wizbit1013, Punchdrunk1 and N17 like this.
  3. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Couldn't put it better myself.

British Boxing really didn't need another new channel/sub service.

Sky have Boxxer and Top Rank shows, BT have Frank's cards and Channel 5 has some great domestic boxing. It's more than enough boxing without people feeling they're missing out by not having DAZN. Not to mention apps like Fite TV (with no monthly charge) having great fights like Loma v Lopez and Taylor v Ramirez available as a one off cost which I'm sure people don't mind for fights of that quality.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    caine, Coybig, kevinreid001 and 3 others like this.
  4. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I think it is more the fact most people thought the "we are killing PPV model" could only possibly work by having "PPV". So for a lot of people, this is just confirming what we feared.

I kind of think any level of PPV is wrong given what we have all been sold.

Jurgen likes this.
  5. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Another issue for Hearn is he's trying to equally balance UK and America so as a result you get average cards in both. Most Brits aren't bothered about Garcia v Martin or Andrade v Quigley in the middle of the night and most Americans aren't bothered about Smith v Fowler or Galahad v Martinez. He needs to focus on just one.

Charlie Stewart likes this.
  6. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Have they sacked off Costello yet?

BXNG101 likes this.
  7. Kennedy

Kennedy Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Ya I liked him at first but now he sounds like he's still on the radio. He's not suited to having a Co commentor because the man just doesn't shut up.

BXNG101 likes this.
  8. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Same applies to that dweeb Sam Matterface. He migrated from radio commentary to football and he just doesn't shut up. If he's not rambling non stop, he's making some kind of weird unfunny joke.

9. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    No doubt because DAZN often pay for advertising on this forum.

Jurgen and TBC-ASAP like this.
  10. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I totally agree. Costello is good in the radio, but not as a tv commentator. If DAZN buys BT Sport please bring back Ian Darke. He is an excellent boxing commentator. Still missing those days with Ian Darke and Glenn McCrory.

Glenn McKrory and Jurgen like this.
  11. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    I still love Costello’s commentary, but appreciate he is still in radio mode right now. Andy Lee hasn’t been great either, too quiet. I imagine someone like Froch would interrupt Costello if he had a point to make, but Lee is a gent and a quiet guy.

Personally I’d like DAZN to offer a no commentary mode. Would be trivial for them to offer a separate audio stream and would keep some hardcore fans happy.

12. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    That explains a lot as to why that thread was moved to TV.

The free feedback on it by boxing fans should be what they want to know in the target market.

13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    It is the DAZN promise of no more PPV that will be the beginning of the end for this venture as people know Earn is taking them for complete mugths time and again. Every time he speaks or David Haye for example - they are selling something.

When I hear Eh Day Earn and David Haye talk, the best way of listening to them is to visualise that they are selling you a yellow Robin Reliant while promising a Ferrari and at Ferrari prices.

N17 likes this.
  14. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    This content is protected

This could tempt back a few of us unsubscribers LOL

Wizbit1013, Jurgen and N17 like this.
  15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    This content is protected

"DAZN on shaky legs Adam" :lol:

Adam Smith talking about DAZN PPV rumours from 15 mins 20, doesn't really say much apart from "I thought they didn't want to do PPV"

So obviously if these were just rumours without any substance whatsoever then it wouldn't even be mentioned.

aaaaa and Jurgen like this.