Deontay Wilder vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Having a hard time believing he threw 35 punches a round that fight. I suppose maybe he was pawing his jab which isn’t really a punch but more of a measuring stick. Will watch later though.

2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    The style appears to favor Frazier IMO. Wilder does have a big punch and would be a threat from the outside. I dont see Wilder having the skillset to keep the fight at a good distance for him.
    I believe Frazier is gonna bob and weave, coming in low forcing DW back on his heels. Taking away his leverage and some of his power.
    At midrange and inside Joe would have a field day targeting the body and ofcourse that fast lefthook.
    I dont know how much punishment Wilder can take. He has yet to be in any deep water and certainly never has faced anyone as relentless as Joe Frazier.
    Frazier by decision

The Slaps, JC40, surfinghb1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I have not seen Wilder yet against a prime Frazier type opposition - Frazier had a short prime but up until FOTC he was a beast- Wilder can wack no doubt but can he take a Frazier left hook? time will tell

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I bet Ortiz packs more zing in a left hook than Frazier did

5. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    What makes you say that?

6. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Amen, Let the truth be told here …. And it doesn't stop at just the HW division... Where these coddled P*ssy ass fighters of today won't even get in the ring with each other … A 41 year old WAY passed it Pac pretty much just answered the question on how much this sport has evolved .. into a big pile of dog sh*t actually

7. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Have you ever picked Frazier to win one of these mythical fights?

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes this one!
    "Frazier met only the one ,what I would call heavy duty puncher,Foreman. I feel Wilder is probably on a level with the very hardest punchers of all time.
    I've never called Frazier a defensive genius and I cannot recall anyone else describing him as such.
    I think Wilder shines best to advantage over taller more upright guys such as Ortiz,and Breazeale and that he may well struggle to find the shorter , bobbing and weaving Frazier's chin. Foreman threw looping shots from both hands and big uppercuts which Joe ducked into.George also continually pushed Frazier's back by his shoulders keeping him at the optimum range for his shots. Wilder is usually a sloppy finisher he fights nothing like Foreman,and is crap at inside work ,his punches are long and not especially well directed, his ko of Ortiz being an exception.
    Wilder's work rate is also very low, he does a lot of posturing in between throwing punches.
    Frazier would obviously try to get on his chest and go to work,inside laying that hook in there both up and down.
    I'd give him a real chance of being successful with this tactic as Wilder has glaring deficiencies in his game.
    If Wilder connects flush then its good night ,but Frazier wont have his head up like a street lamp asking to be tagged. I have usually been the first to state I think Frazier's power is rather overated.I would not expect him to stop Wilder who has given every sign of being durable,but that doesn't mean his workrate and continuous bombardment couldn't carry him to a decision.imo That's my rationale anyway. "

mcvey, Monday at 9:40 AM Edit Delete Report

9. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    WOW... I had no idea, that today's boxing is this bad!

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Because some of the shots that he either hurt or knocked out guys who weighed over 220 were brutal. Frazier has to systematically wear down crusierweight sized opponents over many rounds on a lot of occasions. Buster Mathis is one of the few exceptions of bigger men who he stopped and Marthis wasn’t even in shape yet it still took almost a full nights work

Rock0052 and mrkoolkevin like this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'd agree this is possible,the difference being how many each throws a round!

mr. magoo likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I agree to some extent,I think Frazier's one shot power is overated,he was an attrition puncher.

13. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Yeah I know, I was venting! I read this article that Crawford/Arum have turned down a couple of fights because Arum wants to match him with only JR's now. Also, now Arum wants him to fight Connor McGregor under MMA rules…. Some sport we have now , huh

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    With regard to the best not fighting the best - you're right, of course. Sure, we all wish they would just get it on, so we can watch the best possible matches. That this isn't always the case of course sucks.

However, is it really worse today than in previous eras? Bowe-Lewis was never made - even though it would have been the biggest fight that could have happened at the time.

Sanchez and Pedroza were "parallel" champions for several years, but never met. Palomino/Cuevas were likewise parallel title holders - as were Galindez/Conteh. All these were superfights that never came about.

Going back to the 40s and 50s, when there was only one champ per division, we saw some of the most dangerous challengers being frozen out for years - before they were finally (if they were lucky!) granted a title shot.

Archie Moore was ranked #1 contender by The Ring 10 years before he got his shot - and we all know how LaMotta had to throw a fight, before he was given a chance at the middleweight crown. Liston was easily the best heavyweight in the world for at least 4 years, before finally shaming Patterson into risking his title against him.

Going even further back in time, Dempsey ducked his outstanding challenger Harry Wills for the entire 7 years of his reign. Yes, I know… all kinds of excuses can be made for this fight never being made. But the fact is, that it never was.

For a champion trying to protect his crown is not something, that is exclusive to this era. It has always been like that.

Pat M and Rock0052 like this.
  15. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Its the pressure of Frazier , the condition of a prime Frazier along with his power and leaping hooks and pressure workrate - again Wilder can punch and has heart but Fraizer of the FOTC hurt Ali badly in the 11th and dropped him hard in the 15th - As far as weight- They are saying Wilder may come in at 211-215 for Tyson Fury and that about Ali's weight for the FOTC .....Frazier slowed down his workrate by the time he met Foreman and he was hit clean several times but he still got up 6 times.
    Wilder may still turn out to be the best of this era but I am not convinced yet- time will tell

mcvey likes this.