Did Eddie deliver in 2018?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by james5000, Jan 13, 2019.

1. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    If I remember correctly at some point in 2017 Eddie was claiming his Saturday night shows were going to be of PPV standard, and PPV cards were going to be reserved for mega events?

Whyte vs Browne must have been the best of them on regular sky last year (or was that PPV I don't remember tbf)?
    Okolie vs Chamberlain was a good fight on paper
    Brook/Khan are big names so any event they headline is worthy of a Saturday night show

I don't think we can accuse these fights of being PPV standard though lol

Was this year better or worse than previous years?

2. 2fast2fury

2fast2fury Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Whyte Browne was non PPV and was embarrassing.

Okolie Chamberlain was woeful.

Khan Lo Greco was more than embarrassing.

Brook Rabchenka was OK and Brook Zerafa proved Brook doesn't even deserve to be a stand alone event on regular Sky.

3. uppercut_to_the_body

uppercut_to_the_body Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
  4. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    No, one of his worst years in terms of actual match-ups/cards. Although i can understand why his focus may have slipped, with a lot of his focus going on Matchroom USA, but that's still no excuse for no world title fights on regular Sky or the PPVs he's put on.

5. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    From a business POV I imagine he did. The 2nd, 5th and 11th biggest selling PPV fights in British history were in 2018. It's testimony to how massive Joshua is that even when he fights opponents such as Parker and Povetkin, which the man in the street has essentially never heard of, he does bigger numbers than Mayweather Hatton and Mayweather Pacquaio respectively. The figures for Bellew Usyk were very good as well considering how little was known in general about Usyk.

In terms of his biggest names, a slightly mixed year. Joshua has ticked along doing about as well as can be expected if Wilder and Fury aren't fighting him. Whyte has probably been the most significant in terms of increasing his profile. Brook however has had another bad year and now looks to be at the point whereby his career is winding down with a whimper.

6. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    abysmal 2018 for boxing fans that pay for sky sports, well and truly robbed by sky/matchroom

7. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    From a financial view they would have made a stack of cash.

Fan entertainment/value, pretty moderate.

Momus likes this.
  8. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Just what this board needed. Another thread about Eddie and his financials.

9. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    A minor point in the grand scheme of things but I've seen 'no world title fights in 2018 on Sky' mentioned quite a few times.

Wasn't McDonnell Inoue on normal Sky?

10. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Wasn't a real world title, as well you know Mr. Matchroom.

EDIT: I should add though, there were world title fights on regular Sky sports last year. Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko, Andrade vs Kautondokwa, Farmer vs Tennyson, Farmer vs Fonseca, Beterbiev vs Johnson. But no world title fights on their regular Sky sports, UK shows, I believe.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  11. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Fair point. Wilder Ortiz was on regular Sky as well.

If the question is 'no world title fights on regular UK shows which were not on PPV,' I suppose a question which could be asked would be which shows these could have been and who would have been fighting? Whyte didn't fight for a world title. Joshua has been on PPV for years and I think anyone reasonable knows he's not going onto normal Sky for some time if ever. Brook didn't fight for a world title and neither did Khan. Quigg did but he fought in the US. Yafai fought in America and Monaco.

12. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    He delivered middle of the road stuff

13. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Pretty mediocre stuff.
    But compared with the domestic competition, he did quite well. Boxnation is on it's knees, and to me (an outsider) it didn't seem like BT made much waves either.
    He's lucky that the UK is like the US before the Floyd vs Pac fight. People are happy to massively overpay for mediocre fights, when it features a big name like Joshua.

14. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    This forum is OBSESSED with Eddie Hearn.

Scissors likes this.
  15. ClemFandango

ClemFandango Member Full Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I give him credit for what hes trying to achieve, but I think he seriously miscalculated how much effort it would take, and its having knock on effect throughout Matchroom. Theres a Matchroom card in Mexico card set to be announced, the US stuff, Italy, Germany, and they only get announced a few weeks in advance. Phone must be ringing off the hook trying to put it all together. Just thought "hell I can do this", and didn't look around at his resources.