Did Penfold get Whyte KTFO?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by im sparticus, Aug 24, 2020.

1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Throughout the fight you can clearly hear Coldwell calling out shot selection to Dillian Whyte.
    On numerous times u hear Coldwell shouting out for Whyte to throw his jab and to throw it in a particular manner.
    Firstly, as the fight was unfolding, I thought it was rather bad mannered of Coldwell to do this. He was over running the appointed coach Zavier Miller and calling all the shots as the fight progressed. Miller as far as I remember was parroting what Coldwell was saying, so it was obvious that Penfold had taken over the corner.

Coldwell was shouting for a jab in this manner and in that manner, and whyte was fully obliging. At the time I was thinking stfu Coldwell, ur gonna get him knocked out. It's obvious what a clever fighter would do in that situation, he'd dial into the pattern of how much his opponent is doing as is been shouted from the corner. You'd build up the pattern in ur mind and then set up a power shot as a counterpunch to what's been shouted out.

Back to the fight, you could clearly hear Penfold shout out, "defend the jab and throw (counter) off it. So povetkin duly obliges his requests, he sends a jab knowing that Whyte is going to Parry it, which is what Whyte is doing with the right hand, it's a parry/catch he goes to make. Povetin give a Whyte the jab, which then ends up been a mess of a parry as he falls in with it, he's trying to to Parry/catch -throw the right hand, per Penfolds instruction Pov knows this cos he's done most of the other shots Penfold has shouted out, he knoes what's coming cos Penfold telegraphed it, so he knows what to do to get round the situation. Slip inside with the Feint to the body shot, dip and bring the lead uppercut up himself.
    Now i know Povs English ain't the best, but I'm sure he knows the basic English boxing terms. Jab, parry, slip etc
    I think there's enough evidence to suggest Penfold screwed that up for Whyte, or is it that I'm looking to give him some blame, cos he's an annoying, always looking for the limelight but not willing to take responsibility for when things don't work out, little so n so.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Inglis_1, Robney, impacted and 14 others like this.
  2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Love your technical analysis when you get into your flow, bud. I’m much more basic with it. I thought Povetkin was throwing a jab and left to the body throughout the fight, and then in the 5th he switched it up, so Whyte was expecting the left hook to the body off the jab again but he threw the uppercut instead. Clever how he sold that trap for 4 rounds. Anyway, I prefer your insight and I agree 100%.

Inglis_1, Robney, ryanm8655 and 9 others like this.
  3. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  4. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Great post and valid question. Has no crowd noise backfired in this instance?

5. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    It was just a thought tbh but I think there is a good argument for my supposition but I also agree with you, yes he was throwing the jab- left to body and maybe he was looking to set up the final shot through the baits he had left earlier as whyte did attempt to block a left to the body once he realised what was going on
    But I just think Penfold created the perfect opportunity for Pov to pull it off, because the parry/catch n counter right hand *what Dave shouted out for) is a different body (weight transfer) position to adopt than a straight forward parry. Had Whyte simply parried that jab he would of been in a stronger position to defend the final shot.
    The fact that whyte was " out of position" as he fell in with the attempted counter was down to him attempting the counter off Povetkins (light jab) thrown light on purpose, so that Whyte couldn't ride off Povetkins positioning.

Holler and Twentyman like this.
  6. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Joe Gallagher said he never understood benefit of adding Coldwell as he wasnt in camp and that too many cooks spoil the broth lol. Definetly the least technical post of thread, but i agree with Joe G.

ryanm8655, Holler, sjp17 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Yes. But then again Whyte isn't very good.

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Reading far too much into it, nothing to do with Coldwell whatsoever.

9. Aint no stoppin

Aint no stoppin Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 15, 2008
    i agree coldwell should have been quite in there cause hes not the trainer and only confused whyte. But povetkin did this all on his own. He doesnt understand a word what the corner from whyte was shouting IMO. If coldwell is bumped up to the lead trainer for the rematch i might actually bet on povetkin this time, even though i still think whyte should beat him

10. Carlton Cole

Carlton Cole Member banned Full Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Good theory but think we’re forgetting Povetkin can’t speak a word of English haha

11. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    The biggest problem was sacking Mark Tibbs
    You cant avoid the facts

caine likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Povetkin trained and planned to knock Whyte out with an uppercut based on what he'd seen of Whyte's flaws in previous fights.
    There's a Russian interview (subtitled) where he says as much.
    I'll accept that as the leading theory.

Whyte being crap, and the sacking of Tibbs, and Coldwell's late entry to the corner, are reasonable contributing factors but the main factor was Povetkin doing what he set out to do (despite being a 'shot' old man who was decked twice along the way).

Accurate, Twentyman and im sparticus like this.
  13. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Yea I agree and that's my point, Dave set up the scenario povetkin was looking for.
    He made Whyte attempt to counter of his (whytes) parry/catch-counter. If whyte had simply defended the jab with a parry he wouldnt of been out of position. The attempt to catch and counter put whyte out of position badly.
    Povetkins slipped inside as whyte went to parry/catch- counter right hand Povetkins jab.
    Pov knew not to put any weight on his lead so Whyte couldn't ride a counter off it, Whyte went to ride povs jab but u need your opp (pov) to have weight in his lead or the move doesn't work. Povetkin knew what was coming cos Dave shouted it out. I've heard it been mentioned that Pov doesn't speak English but he certainly knows simple boxing words like Jab.
    I know it's just a theory and only Povetkin knows the truth but it's worth considering.
    Yes povetkin was looking for it but Dave created the perfect/ easiest opportunity for povetkin to pull it off.

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Doubt it has much to do with Coldwell. Povetkin would likely have spent thousands of hours in the ring in his life. I suspect he can read what his opponent is doing.

15. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    Povetkin is an elite fighter and an Olympic gold medalist.

He wasn't going to lose to a roadman like Whyte.

Southpawology likes this.