Do you consider James J Jeffries an ATG?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, Jun 20, 2017.

Jeffries atg?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Jeffries looks amazing in film.

louis54 likes this.
  2. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Come on Rez, he looks "amazing" on film? Quite a bit of an exaggeration there no doubt. If not, please illustrate which particular fights he looks "amazing" in.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He was barely over 6 foot.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He was barely over 6 foot. I think I rate Fitz above him, their comparable results favour Bob. He won the title in his 14th fight, Corbett won it in his 13th.I wouldn't take too much notice of how many rounds he lasted with Johnson.Fitz said afterwards Johnson could have finished it when he liked.
    Does he Rez? In which fights?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Unequivocally yes.

If you could find no other merit in his record, you would have to acknowledge that he dramatically raised the bar, for both quantity and quality of title defences.

Even if you thought that other versions of Corbett and Fitzsimmons could have beaten him, you would still have to recognise that they did not come close to him as champions.

In practice I think that those fights were not as one sided as you are making out, and that Jeffries himself was pre prime at the time.

6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Besides Johnson, his fight films are very low quality. So I am using his training footage, combined with the stylistic nuances I see from the Johnson fight.

Very fast for a man of that physique. Great head movement, footwork, power, and punching technique. He also had really fast feet, very good mobility and really good balance.

He looks like a complete nightmare of an opponent.

louis54 likes this.
  7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    With regard to his size advantage, I think that the argument is overplayed.

Yes Jeffries had a weight advantage over all of his opponents, but there were guys who were bigger than him around at the time, who did not come close to replicating his success.

If Jeffries was only successful because of his size, then why didn’t Sandy Ferguson dominate the opposition?

reznick likes this.
  8. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm just not seeing this at all. The fights we do have, I see very little head movement what so ever. I don't call leaning your head to the side "head movement", in fact, they teach you the opposite of that these days. I'd say he has poor head movement, and certainly not "great". Footwork, again I'd say no, I wouldn't call his footwork great by any means when you watch the fights we have. Training videos count for F All in my world. You could watch me without somebody trying to take my head off or needing to position myself to set up my punches and block others; and just freely move around a ring pretty damn fast. That in no way means I have good movement for functional boxing purposes. In his fights, movement wasn't his thing, he generally plodded forward with his head leaning to the side and tucked in. That isn't great movement. I'll give him strength and power though. Plus I do feel he had good speed for a man his size. It was noted by others, but that isn't the same as functional boxing movement, that, we can clearly see he doesn't have when watching his fights. He also likely did have good Balance, so I'll give him that one as well.

mcvey and mrkoolkevin like this.
  9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I agree with all of this, though I'm not sure that his speed would seem notable for a modern fighter his size.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No one has suggested this.

11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I think it has been fairly heavily implied.

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Rez.... time to take some Jeffries clips, stabilize them, and post for all to see.

13. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    I'd agree there isn't much to go by when it comes to straight speed, but I'm simply extrapolating on the fact that he was an All American football player in college. Who really knows though.

14. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    This content is protected

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Did he raise the bar when he defended against Munro and Finnegan,or Ruhlin whom Fitz had half killed? How about when he defended against Corbett the second time ? Corbett hadn't fought in3 years. I give Jeffries credit for quantity but not quality.