Do you like Eddie Hearn?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Oct 16, 2021.

Do you like Edward Hearn?

1. Yes - I like him!

55 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No - I dislike him!

37 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    He acts like a cockney wheeler and dealer but he wouldn't have lasted in the 80s-90s era when villains were running around and gold bullion was getting washed left, right and centre.

That's why I think he's going to fold now that he's left his safe space at sky, his stable is getting paper thin and things are not looking rosy.

He's not built like uncle frank. Imagine the **** he had to deal with from villains back in the day. The dry patches he's had since matchroom got the sky monopoly must feel like nothing compared to what he's been through during his come up phase.

navigator, Brixton Bomber and aaaaa like this.
  2. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Uncle Frank is a fcking don.

3. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    I don't hate him but I don't like him.

He reminds me of your typical upper class toff. Tries to act like one of the lads but privately (when he's with his other wealthy friends/family) looks down on all the peasants who go to his events/buy his crap shows.

I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.

4. Riordo

Riordo New Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like Hearn.
    Never liked the roll necks he used to wear and I do wonder if he's had his Barnet manipulated.
    As a promoter I think he's fantastic.
    Not sure if this DAZN thing will work out but I'm sure he will be o.k
    The last few months of his sky deal saw some shite cards but generally he tries to make decent matches.

Sonny1 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  5. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Unless I'm mistaken not one fighter has ever said Hearn failed to pay them or paid them less than they were promised. No fighter has ever took him to court over a contractual dispute etc so for that reason alone his good for the sport.

Also I appreciate that he doesn't screen the questions before interviews and also doesnt screen the screen the interviews before release and then asking for stuff to be edited out.

Sonny1 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  6. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Good shout. He's not built like his old man either, but you just know Barry's been done proud.

I feel Eddie would have made it anyway, his ambition and drive is deadly.

I like what he's done for the sport.

I mean, Boxing was dead here with Kelly and Fwank running it, but I do have to tip my hat to Frank. He's got nerves of steel and is an unbelievable promoter.

ryanm8655, alpo1, aaaaa and 1 other person like this.
  7. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    This. And when it gets real, he falls apart.

KingKO likes this.
  8. Glenn McKrory

Glenn McKrory M&S luxury pudding Full Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Hearn has been terrible for the sport, all promoters are like estate agents, there is no reason for any of them to exist, but sadly they do.

9. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Funny, charismatic, charming even. Led a revival in domestic boxing. Highly ambitious which is admirable. Fighters never really have a bad word to say about him which says a lot especially in this industry.

Bit of a bell though. When he lectures people how to live their lives with his crap philosophical self help nonsense it's embarrassing. He's a rich kid that has won the lottery of life - a front runner. It's easy succeeding when there's nothing really at stake.

LeavemealoneKoooogs, KingKO and aaaaa like this.
  10. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    He has done wonders for boxing and boxers and works his nuts off. Deserves every success in my book. He could of sat and home and lived off his dad. He’s took the bull by the horns and fair play to him. I rate him highly as a promoter and find him a very likeable person.

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    The damage he's done to British boxing over the last 10 years will be long term and possibly irreversible it's Eddie and Matchroom that have convinced fighters and most fans or least certainly casuals that it's acceptable for any fight that generates genuine interest to be on PPV.

I'll give him credit for what he's done with AJ in terms of marketing and genuinely filling out huge stadiums and arenas but apart from that his influence has been mostly negative the culture of greed and entitlement he's encouraged while playing the role of a salt of the earth lad is pathetic but while it's early days it's beginning to look like he's made a big mistake leaving and going the streaming route with DAZN so maybe we'll get some entertainment seeing the snake get some comeuppance if DAZN crashes and burns

12. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Don’t know him personally but he’s an outstanding promoter look at all the bull**** PPV cards he gets away with

aaaaa and Gatekeeper like this.
  13. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Can't argue with this.

Sums him up perfectly for me.

KingKO likes this.
  14. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Love hate relationship. I hate when he’s bigging up rubbish shows like the Kid vs Kiko card next month but I do understand that’s his job and he’s good at it.
    Don’t really know why but I’m always quite happy when one of his Matchroom favourites loses. Just find myself rooting for the opponent. That said I did vote for the ‘I like him’ option. He is a big personality and his interviews are pretty fun background audio when working out or working from home.

15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Obviously he's a frig, but I quite like him.

Gregor1987 likes this.