Does anyone want to score Shavers vs Ali?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    It's been a while since I've seen it.

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm sure there's threads on this already.

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    :lol: you're obsessed with this fight Mendoza.

I think you can make a card for Shavers. I did. It's in the scorecards sticky, which is the first place you should look if you want to see scorecards.

What must be remembered, however, is that this fight had open scoring only on television. Dundee claims to have had a runner going back and forth between the close-circuit outside the stadium and his ear. In other words, Ali knew the scores going into the final rounds, new he could lose rounds and still win as long as he avoided a knockout. So Ali was being told the scores and knew how much to risk and when.

cross_trainer and reznick like this.
  4. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ali - 1,3,5,10,11,15
    Shavers - 2,4,6,7,8,9,13,14
    draw - 12

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Well on a round by round score cards.

By the looks of it, Ali got a favorable all in this fight, and perhaps the Jimmy Young fight.

One thing I remember was Shavers hurting Ali, but for whatever reason thought Ali was acting. No, he was not.

After this match, Ali should have retired for good.

6. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  7. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I had it 9-6 Shavers. I can't find my RBR, I scored it a long time ago. Shavers landed the harder shots throughout and I just couldn't give rounds to Ali on those pitty-patty flurries.

I read somewhere that Shavers said Ali did deserve the nod, which I thought was interesting. Most fighters who lose close decisions, naturally, feel they won. Sometimes the fight isn't close and they still claim they won. I even remembering reading an article where Holyfield claims he deserved the win against Lewis. Not just the rematch, but the first fight. :pancarta:

Given Ali's stage in his career, it was pretty amazing he was able to withstand all that punishment and eek out a decision. He was taking BOMBS.

Even Sports Illustrated pretty much said in the article that he should retire, because eventually there's going to be nothing there when he goes to the well for something extra.

https://www.si.com/specials/muhammad-ali-legacy-sports-illustrated/img/covers/24.jpg

https://www.si.com/boxing/2015/09/23/muhammad-ali-rally-ernie-shavers-si-vault

8. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I watched this bout live. The decision was not controversial. Shavers purposely did not extend himself then turned up the juice the last 3-4 rounds going for the KO. However Ali had already won the bout by that time. 9-6 Ali.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Had Ali up about 9-6 could have been 8-7 but no doubt Ali took severe punishment.Shavers hit him with enough power to take out the top 5 in the division that night. Ernie never displayed that stamina before or after

10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Watched it few days ago. Scored it 8_7 for ali. But a few rounds hard to choose between and ali was certainly hurt despite his best effort to appear not.

11. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

I wish Muhammad had retired two years prior to his fight with 'The Acorn' He had slipped so much during that time.

I make it 9 - 6 or 8 - 7 to Ali.

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It could have gone either way. Same with Ali-Young in 1976.

I thought Norton defeated Ali quite clearly in 1976 though.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  13. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I haven't watched this fight in long time but I did score it for Ali long time ago, I will give It a rewatch this week.
    I always had Young beating Ali.
    I also scored Norton 8-7 over Ali but don't consider it a robbery.

If Ali wasn't Ali - I wouldn't be surprised if he had lost all 3 of these fights.

14. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    The third Ali Norton bout was one of the most difficult to score bouts I've ever seen. A very nip and tuck fight that no doubt Norton could have won. He took his foot off the accelerator just when he needed to keep it going.

15. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I've recently watched it and scored it 8-7 for Ali.

The last round Shavers was winning until Ali had him badly hurt in the last minute of the fight. So I've scored 15th rd for Ali.