Does Fury have a weak chin?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tyson379, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Wasteman

Wasteman Certified Wasteman Full Member

Jul 17, 2018
    This raises another question: are chin and recovery two assets which are mutually exclusive?

If so, then Fury has a weak or average chin at best but freakishly good recovery.

If not, then Fury has a great chin which is reminicent of the ATGs already mentioned in this thread: Ali, Holmes, Holyfield etc. but distinct from the McCall /V. Klitschko type of chin (freakishly good chin as opposed to freakishly good recovery.)

andrewa1 likes this.
  2. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    In 20 fights he was down and wobbled something like half a dozen times. Yes, very low punch resistance. We also have to consider Fury loves showboating and is very very careless and unconcentrated at times, which doesn't help his knockdown stats.

3. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Exactly. I suppose one can argue they should be separated. But if so, we need to recategorize some of the old ATG's we think of as having ATG chins.

Ali had a freakishly similar career to Fury to this point in many respects, especially with chin. He was kd'd twice by lesser opposition before he had his first championship fight (just like Fury, except Ali came closer to getting ko'd in one of those fights), and had been staggered by other lesser comp as well. He was thought to be chinny, then beat a feared, hard hitting champ to gain the title. Then he went into exile and visited the canvass against the first top notch opponent he faced in his return. Again, at the end of the day, he is thought(justly, in my opinion) to be one of the greatest chins of all time. But if we are saying Fury has an average chin but great recovery, then we need to reevaluate Ali (and Holmes and Holyfield). At best you could say these guys had an average to above average chin and very good recovery. I guess it can be seen as technically true, I just think that sells them short and misses the bigger picture.

Wasteman likes this.
  4. CasualFan

CasualFan Active Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Seeing as Fury is from a long line of Gypsy fighters the normal rules don't apply to these people. They don't have chins, they have hearts that cannot be beaten. You literally have to kill this bloke to keep him down. When gypsies have a fight it's not over when one is knocked out, he's helped up and asked if he wants to continue.

hpsauce91, G Man and mirkofilipovic like this.
  5. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fury has the best chin in boxing

Everytime he gets hit he just comes back even more ferocious.

No man should get hit with a clean Wilder right hand left hook IN ROUND 12 and get back up.

6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Fury rose from the dead like Lazarus on an industrial dose of PCP after eating a flush right hand from the ''hardest puncher in the sport'' and of ''all time'' which landed right on the money. And that was in the final round after him not having fought anyone with a pulse for 3 years, 2.5 years of inactivity, ballooning up to 400lbs and then having to shift 140lbs of it back off, and seriously abusing his body all throughout those 2.5 years of inactivity drinking like a fish (''I thought my son was going to die'' -- John Fury), snorting like a rock star, and stuffing his face with enough junk food to give the population of China a collective heart attack and only having had 2 exhibition 'fights' against zero threat scrubs in the last 3 years.

hpsauce91, Faceplant and G Man like this.
  7. Wasteman

Wasteman Certified Wasteman Full Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Appreciate the thoughtful response and I fully agree with you concerning the similiarities you cited between Ali's early career and Fury's career. I've seen a couple of other people draw these same comparisons too and and believe they are certainly merited.

I also agree that Ali had one of the best chins of all time and his name should rightfully be put forth when discussing the greatest chins in the history of the sport (and commonly is.)

I tend to agree with your last point too: that when we separate chin from recovery we don't get as full a picture as we do when considering these attributes as not being mutually exclusive. All the same, I think there are probably still some contexts in which the two can be analyzed separately but within the context of this thread, I will concede that Fury has an above average chin which may well have proven itself deserving of the ATG label by the time has hung up his gloves and called it a day.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    andrewa1 likes this.
  8. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up. Vince Lombadi

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't. Jack Dempsey

Fury has gone down but he has always got up, so weak chin no.
    Plus it could be viewed that taking a count on the canvas, could be wiser than being a boxer like Frank Bruno, who when he was hit on the chin stood there taking extra punches without having a defence.

9. Alphafighter

Alphafighter Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Suspect chin but bad ass recovery is the same as having a good chin

10. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    His chin is fine, but his fighting style means he has to use it more than a guy with his reflexes, defence and capability should, and it probably will be his downfall one day.

11. archdeacon99

archdeacon99 Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Let's compare some lauded recuperative powers with some acclaimed to be China chins and we see little difference,
    This content is protected

12. edabomb

edabomb Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Average chin that is moved up a notch or two by the fact he shows zero panic when boxing on after a knockdown.

bandeedo likes this.
  13. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Modern day Floyd Patterson

14. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    look at his duck list. he avoids guys with size and power. there is a reason.

15. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Fury easily outboxed Wilder after two bum fights in three years where he'd ballooned to 400lb, that said he was almost ko'd. I know he came back amazingly well but not a great chin. I think Fury would easily win the rematch as he's going to improve and Wilder just isn't. I think it could be a beat down in the rematch if Fury sheds the love handles works as hard. Only chance Wilder has is Fury's somewhat suspect whiskers.