Evander Holyfield vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Quitali Bitchko, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Joe Frazier was **** and throwing straight punches...!! could he even throw them..?

Evander Holyfeild was faster, and was not one demensional..! he could box if he wanted to, and mix it up inside...!!!

2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    We just had this fight in the Boxrec tourney sweet 16 rd last week and Frazier won 12-5...as of now this poll is 10-4 in favor of Frazier. This seems to be a fairly consistant consensus!

I personally pick Frazier on what I feel would be a ultracompetitive fight, and give him the edge on a higher workrate. I have not heard from anyone on either side though who does not think that this would be an absolute war. If there are any I would love to hear their reasoning for a one sided fight!

3. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    The Holeyfield that faced Bert Cooper would have been in trouble.

The Holyfield that faced Tyson would have been interesting. I remember reading about Don Turner's strategy, and Holyfield's preparation for this bout. Most orthodox fighters line up with their lead legs between the other opponent's feet. Turner wanted Holyfield to line up with his rear leg between Tyson's. This helped take away Tyson's left hook. This also lined Holyfield up for a straight right hand. Tyson didn't take advantage of this, and I doubt Frazier would either.

4. PaulyJ

PaulyJ New Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Evander surprisingly was able to handle a shorter, stronger fighter in Tyson, but for the most part HE liked to be the guy on the inside against taller opponents. Just like you said, Frazier gets inside and under. From this position he will truly frustrate Holyfield and probably catch him a few times. I think Holyfield would like some space in this fight and Joe will not give it to him. This would truly test Evander's boxing skills. The only way Evander wins this fight is to stay outside, throw quick, hard combinations and move. I do not think he would be sucessful trying to clinch Frazier in close quarters. I mean, Ali had trouble clinching Frazier. It would also be worthless to pot shot Frazier. The only way Holyfield can hurt Frazier is those hard, athletic combinations he threw against Bowe and Foreman from a distance. Its doubtful that he could land enough solid headshots to really shake Frazier. I still do not see either of these guys being knocked out. Great thread Quitali Bitchko!

5. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Could Joe Frazier throw straight punchers..?

Evander Holyfield could box and use the ring or go inside with Joe Frazier....

What the **** is Joe Frazier going to do to Evander Holyfield inside..? Evander Holyfield would man handle Frazier inside and tie him up...

Joe Frazier crumbled against bigger and stronger guys..!!!

Evander Holyfield did'nt..!!!!

6. rusty nails

rusty nails Tszyu for PM!! Full Member

Jun 20, 2008
    ive always felt this would be the best heavyweight fight never to be made.
    i cant pick a winner but there would be no knockout.

7. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    i hate to say this but evander holyfeld had the will and style to beat joe frazier.....back frazier up......counter punch ect.....i would say even knock joe frazier out.....guys like tyson/frazier/marciano/qauwi/shavers/.......were the rite style for evander(evander had much tougher times with techinal fighters like holmes/lewis/bowe......but guys that came foreward evander was totally the wrong style for them....evander holyfield knocks joe frazier out..?????

8. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    i agree with this guy......

9. Waynegrade

Waynegrade Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 27, 2008
    People tend to forget that Bowe tore up Holy on the inside... Holy has stright shots sure, but I don`t see him keeping Frazier off him. Where inside Frazier`s hooks and devastating body attack would take its toll. Someone mentioned Bert Cooper, a poor mans Frazier, and he gave Holy hell...

10. PaulyJ

PaulyJ New Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2010
    The only guy who decimated Frazier was Foreman. You might be right about Joe not being able to do much head damage inside, but I do not think Evander would have enough room to do much either. Frazier could definitely get his attention with a left hook to the kidneys! I do not think that Evander would be comfortable fighting Joe inside all night and I do not think he manhandles him. Your point about Evander's boxing skills is well taken. That would be the winning strategy for Holyfield in my opinion. Honestly, I would love to just see them stand toe to toe and exchange punches. I really think that they have awkward styles for each other and it would be a tough fight for both of them.

11. ATP

ATP Fringe Contender Full Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Smokin Joe by decision........

What a fight it would be....Battle of the hearts!

12. duran duran

duran duran Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2010
    i agree with you pachilles frazier in 71 was in his prime the tyson of 96 was well past his best if tyson wasnt so controversial and disliked by the media the holyfield win in 96 would have been dismissed as a a good win against a badly faded fighter:good

13. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    The only thing Frazier did with his right hand was to throw a straight right hand to the body. The irony is that the guy is not given 1 iota of credit for it. But if you watch Frazier closely, you'll see it was a tremendously accurate punch and he threw a ton of them. Then came the lefthooks everyone talks about. But it was never a case of the guy keeping his right hand glued to his cheekbone.

14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I see Frazier winning. Evander would take the early rounds with a bit of movement and countering while Frazier's warming up. The middle stanzas would be a battle of attrition with Frazier just about getting the better of the exchanges. It would be Joe's pressure which would decide things in the end. If this is a rwelve rounder,frazier would take a close but clear decision,and if it's scheduled for fifteen,the referee would rescue a brave Holyfiedl in the thirteenth or fourteenth.

15. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I'd have to go with frazier based on the pressure factor. Evander has never dealt with anyone that applied pressure like frazier, not even tyson.