Ex smoker getting back to boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Balsa, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Balsa

Balsa New Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I quitted smoking a few days ago and went back to boxing,i used to train it for like 2 years and it went smooth during trainings,but now i just gas out imidiately
    I want to improve my cardio
    What should i do to repair my lungs,increase lung capacity etc?

2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    How old are you and how long had you been smoking for?

3. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Continue to train, and continue not smoking. There isn't really specific advice for ex-smokers.

Good news is your body can, to a limited extent, repair the damage. You'll start to feel the difference after the first four or five months clean.

Otherwise, do like everyone else. Run, skip, spar. Good luck with it.

oldcanvasback, Potwash and Sphillips like this.
  4. WonderMonkey

WonderMonkey New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Train consistently and don't try to gain everything back at once. I think doing something five days a week is better than three large effort days, for example.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  5. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Rest assured after 2 weeks of non smoking your lungs will begin to heal, there' a time chart for it you should look up, keep up with training and give it time.

6. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Like Giancomino said - Run, skip, spar - great advice.

I smoke and have gone back to boxing as a strategy to reduce then quit smoking. The burning in the lungs from 'Run, skip, spar' replaces the burning of my lungs from smoking. I've halved the amount I smoke and WILL quit this year b/c of how much my cardio is holding me back. It's frustrating to be able to only execute my skills in sparring for a couple of rounds before having to revert to a style that involves less ring movement, lower punch output and more defence.