Favorite Boxing Movies.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    How many of you have seen “ The Price of Glory” starring Jimmy Smits ....it’s about a Latino boxing family ...it’s good

2. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Wow! I almost edited my post to add Body and Soul. Great minds think alike I guess!

3. elmaldito

elmaldito Like john madden 93, BOOM! Hes on his back. Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
  4. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Many good choices listed. But, no love for "Diggstown", Or, "When We Were Kings"?

5. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Raging Bull comes to mind. I dont take any of the Rocky films seriously. The scene of him punching slabs of beef was first sign of Hollywood phoniness

I really think they ought to do a film of the Hagler Hearns story with fight scenes from the actual fight. Nothing fake about that

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. red cobra

red cobra Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Richard, my 2 favorite boxing movies...and the I think they're the best ever as well, are "Requiem for a Heavyweight", and "The Harder They Fall".

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    I forgot about The Greatest

My favorite scene is of Ali going back to his dressing room after losing to norton with all the white girls taunting him "who's the preetiest! Who's the preetiest"

GoldenHulk likes this.
  8. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    My favorite was the scene with Velvet Green.

9. crixus85

crixus85 Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Champion
    The Set Up
    The Harder They Fall
    Body & Soul
    Somebody up there.....
    The Great White Hope
    Diggstown
    Hard Times
    Cinderella Man

10. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    My two favorite boxing films are the Set Up and Raging Bull. The Set Up is a gritty film noir movie featuring Robert Ryan as an ageing club fighter who is essentially thought of as an opponent for an up-and-coming fighter to pad his record. The scenes in the dressing room of a dingy fight arena really stand out. Raging Bull is a tour-de-force for Robert De Niro and Martin Scorese.

The first part of Rocky I was quite enjoyable, but it became too cartoonish in the second part.

- Chuck Johnston