Fight of the Fortnight #7: Quarantine...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Mar 31, 2020.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Michael Spinks v Eddie Davis. Here was my score on the fight when I saw it not too long ago and what I wrote.

Round 1: 10-9 Davis
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Spinks
    Round 4: 10-9 Davis
    Round 5: 10-9 Spinks
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Spinks
    Round 8: 10-9 Davis
    Round 9: 10-9 Davis
    Round 10: 10-9 Spinks
    Round 11: 10-9 Davis
    Round 12: 10-9 Davis

Total: 116-114 Eddie Davis

The official verdict was unanimous for Spinks. Two of the judges had it wide for Spinks. IMO they weren't even trying. They had to be at the concession stand getting a couple of dogs and a brew. They should have just mailed their cards in. I felt Davis deserved the verdict.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    So we have a sane guy and crazy person who scored it for Davis (decide amongst yourselves who is who), I think I need to watch this now. I was primarily interested in it to see if it offers any stylistic insight on a fight between Spinks and Moore, but now I'm interested in scoring it, too! :D

roughdiamond and KeedCubano like this.
  3. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    On my scorecard Eddie Davis took it too

4. Amos-san

Feb 2, 2020
    But every legend had a bad night, that's happens

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

1986-11-30,
    LFly Title

Bill McConkey 145-140
    Lou Moret 146-139
    Larry Rozadilla 146-140
    I know I watched it last week but it's that good I'm watching it again. Simply because, I cannot stress how good this fight is. ATG action, and I shudder at the thought of the Compubox stats. I didn't score it this time round, since I basically thought the same thing again, and decided to loosely analyse it rather than score. Side note: it pisses me off that in an alternate world, an alternate George is watching a fight between Yuh and Chang. That **** would've been amazing, up there with the greatest fights ever.

Onto this fight, their styles made this insane, as did their workrate. The video doesn't have any commentary, meaning you can just here the crowd and the punches.... It really adds to the atmosphere. Their balls and none boxing philosophy, along with their, fairly significant, lack of defence made it awesome to watch at such a pace, shame neither had power worth ****. :lol:

Yuh was a tough, co-ordinated guy without exceptional talent, who put in graft to learn his trade and obtain the stamina of a shaolin monk. His defence was helpful, as he could semi-slip shots and block a lot, but as such an offensive fighter he was always gonna get hit a lot. Yuh's success came from his ridiculous volume, but it was enhanced by his gauge of what would be successful. By that I mean he picked his spots well, and worked everything into how he could pin Demarco down as a target, despite throwing like 300 punches around.

Demarco's offence, upstairs at any rate, was actually pretty reminiscent of Chávez's, imo. The way he'd incorporate his bob and weave as a momentum builder for his left hook was very similar, as was the way he turned over his straight right as his shoulder cork-screwed. That said, he didn't really use them too much as he preferred the brawler's tried and tested tools such as a looping overhands and wide hooks. I can't put it words just how game this kid was. Type of heart that doesn't quit against anything short of being shot.

After 5, I had it 49-47, for Demarco. The first round was a relatively slow paced, feeler-out type round. Then 2, 3, 4 &5 were war. Yuh not quite getting into his groove as he struggled landing consistently on Demarco.

1. 9 : 10
    2. 9 : 10
    3. 10 : 10
    4. 10 : 9
    5. 9 : 10 (47-49)

After 10, I had it 97-96 for Demarco. But there's more insane action here and neither seemed to be slowing down.

6. 10 : 9
    7. 10 : 9
    8. 9 : 10
    9. 10 : 10
    10. 9 : 10 (96-97)

At the end, I had it 145-143 for Yuh, which was mostly down to the crazy momentum shift he seized after the tenth. He took the next 4 as clear as day and his quick flurries and short shots to pick through Mario's guard really effected the scoring. The finale was as insane as it gets, but Demarco kept it short and hammered away enough to take it.

11. 10 : 9
    12. 10 : 9
    13. 10 : 9
    14. 10 : 9
    15. 9 : 10 (
    )

roughdiamond and KeedCubano like this.
  6. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    God I hope there's an alternate world where that isn't so sad. ;)

7. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I watched the Davis - Spinks fight and scored it for ED 116-114, giving ED rounds1,4,8,9,10,12, MS rounds 2,5,6,7, and EVEN 3,11. MS punched hard inside and outside, Davis was busy and made MS miss a lot. I wouldn't argue with anybody who scored it for MS, it was close, but unless it was one of those fights that looked much different at ringside, two of the judges scorecards didn't seem to match what happened on the video.

I thought ED followed MS a lot and could have cut the ring more but MS punched so hard that I don't blame ED for not forcing a showdown. It was close, but ED did well following and staying close to MS. Good fight.

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

1984-02-25,
    &
    LHW Title

Carol Castellano 115-114
    Joe Cortez 119-109
    Larry Hazzard 118-111

Rounds 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 & 11 were close enough to go either way, depending on what you were looking for. That said, the close rounds that I gave to Spinks were based on his power thudding into Davis, and the close rounds I gave to Davis were based on making Spinks miss.

Davis could've seized this one a little better, as in 7/8/9 he spent more time making Spinks miss with exaggerated movement, rather than doing what made him successful and working on the inside at a higher pace. Spinks should've fought with his jab like he did vs Qawi, coz this was an abysmal style match-up for him. Based on this, Moore beats him. :deal:
    3. 9 : 10
    4. 9 : 10 (36-40)
    5. 10 : 9
    8. 9 : 10 (75-77)
    9. 10 : 9
    10. 9 : 10
    12. 9 : 10 (
    )

Pat M and The Morlocks like this.
  10. Amos-san

Feb 2, 2020
    Michael Spinks - Eddie Davis (Found my scores)

1R: Davis
    2R: Davis
    3R: Spinks
    4R: Davis (even)
    5R: Spinks (even)
    6R: Spinks (even)
    7R: Spinks
    8R: Davis (even)
    9R: Davis
    10R: Spinks (even)
    11R: Davis
    12R: Spinks (even)

DRAW, But you can see how many even/close rounds I scored for Spinks. Despite the fact that he was champ, I see the victory of Davis. He won his rounds more convicingly. If you look at the pure technical-tactic moments, I also see the victory of Davis

11. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hilario Zapata v Jung Koo Chang 1

Matador v Bull - who do you like more? I liked some things that each fighter did and disliked some as well. Zapata's defensive moves were great to watch and he managed to make Chang look quite amateurish and sloppy at times bbut he didn't throw enough. Chang was the aggressor throughout, although that aggression wasn't always effective. His best and cleanest work came to the body. When he was head hunting, Zapata tended to nullify Chang's attacks but Chang was consistently busier than Zapata.

My scorecard is inconclusive as round 3 is missing but it's a fight that realistically could have gone either way and I'm not surprised it was a split decision (judge from Korea scores for Kim; judge from Panama scores for Zapata - shocker).

I had Zapata ahead until the last 2 rounds but neither fighter dominated the other so a draw would be fine too and I reckon if I scored it again, my tally might end up looking different - it was just one of those fights.

1 10-9 (close)
    2 9-10
    3 (missing round)
    4 10-10 (difficult to score)
    5 9-10 (Zapata did some decent work off the back foot but Change landed the better shots overall)
    6 10-9 (another tricky one to score but Zapata did some nice work defensively to nullify Chang's attack)
    7 9-10
    8 10-9 (close)
    9 9-10 (close)
    10 10-9 (very slick defense and countering)
    11 9-10 (the pattern continues - previous round to Zapata, this round to Chang. Chang worked the body well)
    12 10-9 (Zapata countered well and nullified Chang's attacks)
    13 10-9
    14 9-10 (better shots from Chang, Zapata not throwing enough)
    15 9-10 (close)

Zapata 133-134 Chang

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

2004-09-18,
    &
    FW Titles

Raul Caiz Sr 117-111
    Duane Ford 118-110
    Glen Hamada 117-111
    2. 10 : 9
    3. 10 : 9
    4. 10 : 9 (40-36)
    5. 10 : 9
    8. 10 : 9 (80-72)
    9. 9 : 10
    10. 9 : 10
    12. 10 : 9 (
    )

13. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Damn. Quarantine life is real when your watching this fight.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Believe me, I wish I didn't. :lol:

ChrisJS likes this.
  15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Michael Spinks v Eddie Davis

Even the great ones struggle. In most of the long title reigns there tends to be at least one title defense where the champ is just not on it and gets the rub of the green and this was Spinks's example.

This was a close and tricky fight to score but I came away feeling that Davis had done enough to win the fight. Backed by an excellent defense and superb head movement he pressed the fight throughout and landed well on Spinks with the seemingly more hurtful shots.

Both fighters were slick and elusive but Spinks seemed to miss a lot more than he landed, especially with his power shots. I'm surprised he didn't change up and go to Davis's body more as he tended to land those punches when he flurried.

Joe Cortez and Larry Hazard should have stuck to refereeing because both of their scorecards were horrible. They must have been awarding points to Spinks for missing his punches - inexplicably wide tallies. At least Carol Castellano had it close.

I find Spinks a frustrating fighter to watch. He's never quite as busy as I'd like and he does this thing where he takes a step in, looks like he's going to throw a punch and then steps back without throwing - part of his defensive arsenal of moves, I guess, but it makes him look hesitant to engage. His style is one I have a hard time watching to be honest.

1 9-10 (clear round for Davis)
    2 9-10 (closer but still Davis)
    3 10-9 (close)
    4 9-10
    5 10-9 (close)
    6 9-10 (Spinks swinging and missing during to Davis's excellent head movement)
    7 9-10 (close - Spinks with some big flurries which missed more than they landed while Davis showed excellent head movement and kept up steady pressure over second half)
    8 10-9 (good defense from both fighters but Spinks countered slightly better this round)
    9 9-10 (close. Rounds too tightly edited in this video- keeps cutting off ends of rounds)
    10 10-9 (better round from Spinks, controlling it with his jab)
    11 9-10 (overall better work from Davis)
    12 10-9 (close but felt Spinks edged it)

Spinks 113-115 Davis

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020