Floyd Patterson vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Balder, Apr 4, 2021.

How does this turn out?

1. Floyd by KO

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Floyd by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Louis by KO

74 vote(s)
    96.1%
  4. Louis by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If it is the more modern version of Louis that faced Rocky he has a chance.

2. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    "I've been down before, more than any other man who held the Championship. I consider it a compliment that i keep getting up." Floyd Patterson.

Louis would be easy to hit, because he is off balance in all his fights. Patterson couldn't miss with pinpoint accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I recognize Louis, was very good.

3. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    The issue is not the ability of Floyd he had it in spades, all the talent and skills that belonged of a champion I think what is missing is Floyds ability to recover from Louis's first successful onslaught. Once Louis smells blood in the water then what? Floyd never faced such a good, accurate, speedy and powerful puncher as Louis to suggest he could survive he faced a few harder hitters but just not quite with the same accuracy, speed and finishing ability. I think Floyd could make Louis look foolish till the moment he does not- Joe would close the curtain on Gentleman Floyd at any round or any second of the fight he would need to box perfect for 12 to win yet Louis would need only a moment.

BCS8 likes this.
  4. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    Any fighter can win anytime with one punch. I doubt very much Louis as the Champion, would not fight Patterson, as Patterson was more clever and would give Louis hell.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Patterson would do alright until Louis sat him down.

swagdelfadeel, 70sFan865 and Kamikaze like this.
  6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Patterson was absolutely not smarter fighter than Louis, nor he was more skilled or more durable. What's his case here? How can you watch Liston fights and believe that he'd give Louis hell?

7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    lol

8. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    I think even the 44 year old Louis of 1958 kayos a prime Floyd Patterson. Reading some of the bizarre way out there opinions on this forum I gotta ask Are you people nuts?

9. Indefatigable

Mar 6, 2021
    And Harlin Sanders was not a Col.

Kamikaze likes this.
  10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes, agree. I don't think Patterson was durable enough to go the stretch with Louis. On the other hand he hit hard and fast. If Patterson wins it's likely by catching Louis with something big and finishing him early. I also wouldn't bet on it, but I'd bet even less on Floyd beating louis on points.

ron davis and Colonel Sanders like this.
  11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Well 44 year old Louis was more modern soo?

12. Indefatigable

Mar 6, 2021
    Now that is funny. Lol

ron davis likes this.
  13. NickChristo

NickChristo Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Patterson may have the speed but Louis has the timing and accuracy, his most notable attributes outside of power and combination punching, all of that together is going to trump Patterson's peek-a-boo, he'll be fighting Louis fight and you beat Louis by outboxing and controlling the range / pace of the bout. All I'm giving Patterson here is a punchers chance with that left hook and that's it, he'd have to end it early as well because once Louis has him figured out Patterson is going to be taking some nasty uppercuts through that high guard when he's bobbing.

Don't get me wrong Patterson is going to look good for a few rounds but them few rounds are all he'll have here

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013

Let me put it this way, Liston would Ko Louis in 3 rds, and Ko Patterson in 6 rds.

15. ron davis

Sep 2, 2013
    One more thing, Billy Conn was beating Louis, until he foolishly decided to Ko Louis, and got himself Ko. All he had to do was coast and he wins.

Patterson would beat Conn.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.