FOTW #16: Yaqui Lopez Double (Saad Muhammad II & Galindez II)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Feb 3, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Inspired by the Lopez love in the other thread. Two fights involving three 70s light-heavyweight legends. A Ring Fight of the Year and a controversial decision. What's not to love?

Standard reminder: The point of this thread is for people to actually rewatch the fights and share your round-by-round scoring and/or commentary with the group. Lopez seems to be extremely well-loved around here--I hope you folks are into him (and Galindez and Saad Muhammad) enough to take an hour out of the week to watch him fight...

This content is protected

JC40 likes this.
  2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I am so excited about this one I might have to watch Alvaro fight
    Muhammad x’s 2
    Galindez x’s 2
    Conteh
    Rossman
    Spinks
    I might just call this Yaqui Lopez week!

3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I'll be watching Lopez-Galindez 2 first as I've seen Lopez-Muhammad 2 loads of times (not a complaint - one of my 10 favourite ever fights!)

Good to have some light-heavyweights debuting in the FOTW thread!

4. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Just scored Galindez - Lopez. I scored for YL 146-141 or 9-4-2 in rounds. Neither fighter did a lot, but YL went forward, while VG laid on the ropes or backed up. When a fighter who is 5" shorter backs up, he is probably going to lose and IMO VG did lose. YL was content to follow VG most of the time, he didn't cut the ring or force the action, but why should he, he was much taller and winning the fight with his jab. VG only had a few moments in the fight when he was aggressive and came forward, those were his best moments, but there weren't enough of them.

I scored 1,2,5,9,10,11,12,13,14, for YL, I scored 4,6,7,8 for VG, and I scored 3,15 EVEN.

JC40, greynotsoold, Russell and 2 others like this.
  5. Pat M

Jun 20, 2017
    I scored MSM - YL. After 10 rounds I had it EVEN in rounds at 4-4-2 and had it scored 96-96. I had MSM winning 9,10, then he won the next 3 rounds before knocking out YL in the 14th. Good action fight, but YL seemed to lack the physical strength of MSM. I scored rounds 3,7,9,10,11,12,13 for MSM, I scored 2,4,5,6 for YL and had 1 and 8 EVEN before the knockout. My score after 13 was 126-123 MSM or 7-4-2 in rounds.

Even early in the fight, MSM seemed stronger, and his advantage in strength was more pronounced as the fight went on. Round 8 was MSM early, then YL hurt him, then MSM took the last part of the round, I scored it EVEN because both fighters dominated parts of the round.

6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Hey guys I know it isn’t in this thread but I wanted to watch and score Galindez vs Lopez I before digging into this. I just scored it a draw, and if you guys get any extra time I would like to know your thoughts. I posted my card in

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...-watch-today-scorecard-thread.186016/page-338

Didn’t want to clutter this thread with another fight but once again if you get a chance I would love your thoughts.

The audio is bad but the commentary was pretty good IMO

George Crowcroft, Pat M and Jel like this.
  7. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    This fight was tough to score and I will post my card and thoughts in a minute...but I took a look at your card before I did and it scared me a little so I have no confidence in my card as we scored 8 out of 15 rounds different although we did reach the same verdict. I felt there were 5 clear Yaqui rounds and 10 debatable ones....I do think the judges were atrocious and am putting this down with Gomez and Lockridge as the only 2 robberies I believe happened so far in the FOTW threads

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Pat M likes this.
  8. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Yaqui Lopez vs Victor Galindez II
    In hindsight I think their first fight would have been more fun to watch and score, and I have never scored either one before and have not rewatched them in years.

The crowd is very lethargic waiting for a fight to break out but it never does. This is a very scientific, technical, tactical and strategic (well not sure about the strategy of Galindez, but hey he won so he or someone did something right....or wrong since I think this was a robbery!!!!) Berkshire, Clancy and Dundee were a listless commentary team, but in their defense the fight didn’t really engage a lot, and they did come to life a little in the 11th which is about the only real fun round of this fight...not that there are not things to appreciate in this fight, but I will likely not revisit this again in my future. They didn’t detract from the fight but they really did not enhance it any either. I thought there were 10 debatable rounds and the judges scored a vast amount of even rounds (8,7,5) while @Pat M and I scored 2 each. But the judges failed majorly for me not in even rounds but in scoring only 2,2,4 rounds for Lopez...In my mind Lopez won this fight, and no one will convince me otherwise. Even if you score as many rounds different as Pat and I did I can’t see any way Galindez won. But then both fighters were reluctant/Hesitant to exchange perhaps out of respect perhaps strategically? Their defense and punch slipping impressed me even as my heart waited for a fight to break out during this boxing match. I felt like there were 10-14 round 1’s compressed into one fight. It really felt like they were just feeling each other out and even in the 15th you would never know either guy realized it by the lack of energy or urgency? Oh well onto my card

RBR
    1 Lopez
    2 Galindez (19-19)
    3 Galindez (Galindez 29-28)
    4 Draw (Galindez 39-38)
    5 Galindez (Galindez 49-47)
    6 Lopez (Galindez 58-57)
    7 Galindez (Galindez (68-66)
    8 Lopez (Galindez 77-76)
    9 Lopez (86-86)
    10 Lopez (Lopez 96-95)
    11 Lopez (Lopez 106-104)
    12 Lopez (Lopez 116-113)
    13 Draw (Lopez 126-123)
    14 Lopez (136-132)
    15 Galindez (145-142)

Lopez 145-142 or 8-5-2 in rounds.
    Pat M and I scored 2-6,8,13,15 different with Pat scoring those debatable rounds 3-3-2 and me scoring them 4-2-2 for Galindez. But we still came to the same Decision a comfortable Yaqui win. Are we right? Get your cards in and help us find out!

9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    A very tough fight to score. Galindez was laying back in counter-punching mode and Lopez primarily jabbed and occasionally mixed it, so you really have to watch this close because it's not the liveliest - not as good as their first fight anyway. But here you go. 10 point must system in effect.

Round 1: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 2: 10-9 Galindez
    Round 3: 10-9 Galndez
    Round 4: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 5: 10-9 Galindez
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Galindez
    Round 8: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 11: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 12: 10-10 Even
    Round 13: 10-9 Galindez
    Round 14: 10-9 Galindez
    Round 15: 10-9 Lopez

144-144 Draw

Some very close rounds here, guys. I've got 2 draws now in my last 2 fights (the other was Ike v Tua). It says something about the fights you guys are choosing. Good, tough, close contests.

10. Pat M

Jun 20, 2017
    You pick some close fights! I just scored Galindez - Lopez 1. I scored it for VG 144-143 or 7-6-2 in rounds. Most of the rounds were close. I gave VG 5,8,9,10,11,13,14, I gave YL 1,3,4,6,7,12, I scored 2,15 EVEN. I thought VG looked much better in this fight than in the second fight with YL. VG was more aggressive and came forward more, he still fought going backward more IMO than a man giving up 5" of height should. YL has a nice jab and movement, his weakness is probably that he isn't as physically strong as VG and MSM.

This was a good fight and it could have gone either way. I didn't think that VG was intentionally hitting YL low, it seemed to be caused by the height difference.

mrkoolkevin and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  11. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Started scoring Galindez-Lopez II but will need to finish tomorrow. I've been really enjoying this fight even if it is short on fireworks. I love fights like this where two boxers with obvious physical and stylistic contrasts are putting on smart, strategic, high-skill performances.

I have Galindez ahead through 8 on a crazy 3-2-3 score. Unless the second half is a completely different fight, I can't imagine feeling that this one is a robbery. Most rounds are extremely close but I haven't felt compelled to give many to Lopez.

Lopez seems a bit too mechanical and isn't really placing his punches well. Fighting a fundamentally sound fight but not really adapting or adjusting to Galindez' tactics. He seems much better than I realized defensively though. Galindez is the much craftier fighter but he seems just a little too slow, and too short (in height and arm length) to pull off the kind of fight he's trying to execute. He'd probably be way up if he had longer arms.

R1: Lopez clearly. Landed a lot of legitimate punches while Galindez mostly waited on the ropes, hoping to counter. Lopez responded well to Galindez’s few offensive outbursts, stepping back out of position or catching the head shots with his gloves. Lopez should throw in more hard punch feints and double up on his jab more, because Galindez is clearly trying to draw him in and time him for hard counters.

R2: Even? Lopez was up for most of it but I think Galindez caught up late in the round. Not much happened and no real separation imo.

R3: Galindez, clearly. Landed a number of solid punches throughout the round.

R4: Even?? No real separation. No big punches landed. Galindez throws his hook with bad intentions but it’s so slow that Lopez usually sees it coming every time and even ducks under it. Especially when he tries to throw it as a surprise lead punch.

R5: Galindez, by the slightest of margins. Seemed like he actually outjabbed Lopez.

R6: Even. Slight edge to Galindez arguably. Had Lopez slightly up but then Galindez landed a hard body shot and a right to the head in the final 20 seconds.

R7: Galindez. (I don’t think Lopez hurt him late in the round when Galindez stumbled for a second). Galindez landed almost all of the hard punches.

R8: Lopez, by the slightest of margins. If I rewatch it I might score it even. Galindez has been doing an excellent job slipping Lopez' jab, though he has a hard time countering effectively because of the size disadvantage, and the fact that Lopez is making an effort not to overcommit to his punches. But I think Lopez probably won the round with a few head-snapping punches.

So far:
    Galindez 3, 5, 7
    Lopez 1, 8
    Even 2, 4, 6

Pat M and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Every week should be Yaqui Lopez week.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  13. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Galindez 3, 5, 7, 13
    Lopez 1, 8, 9, 10 (very close), 11, 12 (very close), 14 (very close)
    Even 2, 4, 6, 15

I ended up 7-4-4 Lopez. I disagree with the decision but there were so many close rounds that I'm not sure I consider it a robbery. I definitely disagree with the judges though.

Pat M and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Just watched both of the Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez fights last night. I didn’t actually write my score down to keep, because I knew it was unnecessary lol. I had it 125-122 so we had to differ somewhere? I assume in the 2 even rounds because I didn’t have them...but we still had a 3 pt difference. We did agree that Saad won 9-13.

Man these were 2 exciting fights and hopefully more will chime in. These can be hard for FOTW because we don’t have to score them? But well worth the time checking them out.

I loved that after the first fight Saad promised Yaqui he would give him a rematch when he won a world title. And being a man of his word we were rewarded with a great 2nd installment. 2 warriors giving 2 exciting fights...Yaqui is one of the few guys that inspires me to root for him and hope he will pull it out...despite already knowing the outcome. Great that we got to delve into a borderline great rather than just the historic champs in these threads.

Pat M likes this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    1978-10-24 : Matthew Saad Muhammad 175 lbs beat Yaqui Lopez 173½ lbs by TKO at 2:59 in round 11 of 12

Bout Summary

Matthew Franklin (Matthew Saad Muhammad) scored an 11th round TKO over Alvaro "Yaqui" Lopez Tuesday night to retain his NABF light heavyweight title. Franklin clinched the victory with a right hand punch that landed on Lopez' left eye, drenching the fighter's face with blood. As soon as the punch landed, referee Frank Cappuccino waved his arms to signal the end of the bout at 2:59. Lopez was the aggressor in the 1st round, but Franklin held him off with rapid-fire jabs. Franklin led out in the second. But a left hook that completely spun Lopez around led Franklin into a premature celebration and gave Lopez time to recover. Lopez sprained his right ankle in that exchange, but took the fight to Franklin in the 4th. In the 11th, Franklin cut Lopez' eye open and that was when the fight was called. (From The Associated Press).

Post-Fight Quotes

• "My pre-fight plan was to cut Lopez up. I worked my jab good. I was using three or four in a row," - Matthew Franklin (Matthew Saad Muhammad) said.
    • "I figured I would go to the body about the third or fourth. But really I waited too long to get started," - Yaqui Lopez said.