Fury vs Schwarz

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Manny Pacquiao fought there in November 2016.
    "Iconic venue" tends to suggest "historic" anyway, so whatever point you're trying to make I don't know.

The venue has hosted a dozen of more HUGE fights (over the last 3 decades), including some absolute classics and fights between all-time greats. Therefore it is an iconic boxing venue. No ifs or buts.

If there were people here "actually trying to herald the Thomas and Mack as an iconic venue" (as you said), they were CORRECT. And if you disputed it or mocked their claims, you were WRONG.
    That's all.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    The fight is a load of turd wherever they put it anyway.

Holler, Jurgen, 305th and 1 other person like this.
  3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I like Fury but I find this fight a bit sad.

You have a guy like Tyson who has done about 75% of what he needed to do to be remembered as a legit ATG by the time in he 27, and here his is 30 and just can't get past the finish line.

Work your way up the ladder undefeated but untested...unseat an ATG...become embroiled in controversy...go completely off the rails and become a fat drug addict...come back against soft opposition...take on the champ a bit too soon, without real tests...win anyway, but in a fashion that allows the judges to screw you...go back to fighting soft opposition.

It is sad to watch. I honestly don't think that he should ever fight Wilder again, because they will only screw him again. But why not just fight a good series of challenges to build up to Joshua, or even just for the sake of doing it?

Well, I am still fan, but time might really be running out.

Holler and 305th like this.
  4. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    He didn't get screwed over with Wilder.

The first half was even, Fury was hitting elbows, air and gloves but Malignaggi attributed everyone of these to some masterclass in punching. Racoon-face Paulie was asserting Fury had won from about the second round, it was among the most biased commentating I've ever heard.

Fury showcased superior defensive skills in the second half of the fight, but got dropped twice and very nearly stopped. At most he won by 2-3 rounds, and that's being generous and attributing sticking his tongue out and waving to the crowd at the end of each round as being part of overall skill shown, which it plainly isn't.

inb4 "everyone else says" - IDGAF. I go on what I judge and assess. Hype is a thing in boxing folks. FWIW, I thought Wilder was extremely lucky indeed to be given extra time at the beginning at the 7th or 8th round against Ortiz. Lucky as in, he may well have lost without it.

TonyHayers, Scissors and emallini like this.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I had Wilder winning by one round

305th likes this.
  6. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    I'm going to give it a rewatch later mate. Commentary muted. I thought a draw was more than fair.

There's more to winning fights than pivoting your hips and doing a *******ised version of the Philly-shell in the corner. Landing effective punches is a thing, and Fury barely did. All this talk of "Wilder almost getting stopped" is absolute garbage.

7. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    I cannot remember Wilder being in any trouble with Fury barely landing a power punch all fight. Wilder was the aggressor with Fury showing good defence. I had a German commentator and that helped with keeping an objective view of the fight.

Scissors and 305th like this.
  8. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Can you break the rounds down there, Jurgen?

Also, wasn’t Wilder in trouble towards the end of the 12th following the Fury knockdown?

In fairness, I never rewatched the fight; sometimes it’s hard to remain objective judging fights live, but from memory I remember Fury showing superior head and foot movement, jab, ring generalship and counter punching through the fight.

Ended up with Fury winning by 2.

305th likes this.
  9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Check the official thread as I posted how I scored it on there and left jonnyv on here seething even worse than HeavyT. I did not think Wilder was in any trouble in the 12th but still cannot believe Fury got up.

Scissors likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Unfortunately had the misfortune to listen to the Sly Sports commentary for the Usyk v Bellew fight and all I saw the first 6 rounds was Bellew keeping Usyk at bay but hearing how Bellew was winning nearly every round!!!

Amazing how these clowns spouting loudly the pre-rehearsed sly sports script can influence one's judgement.

305th likes this.
  11. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    As in you understand German but the commentator was neutral or you can't understand German and hence weren't influenced?

12. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Fury won by six points. The various polls that have been done here and elsewhere have shown 75-90% of the boxing community agreeing that he won, with the rest splitting between a Wilder win and a draw. There really is not a question here.

pow and Wizbit1013 like this.
  13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    If it makes you sad to watch it flower, don’t watch. Or do you like cuddling up on the sofa for a good weepie?

305th likes this.
  14. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    It’s impossible to score that fight a draw btw. You need to give wilder FIVE rounds.

Wilder
    5x10=50
    7x9=63

Fury
    7x10=70
    3x9=27
    2x8=16

I challenge anyone to OBJECTIVELY find three more rounds for wilder than the two KDs. It’s impossible. As all objective minds accept.

pow likes this.
  15. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    GIven Wilder had two ten-eight rounds you need to find three rounds from the remaining nine to have the fight level. I thought rounds two, five, seven, eight and eleven were close enough to go either way. The only rounds which I thought Fury won without any question were three and ten.

You just don't win fights convincingly landing so few punches.