General strategic advice guide

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by ChrisPontius, Apr 3, 2009.

1. karatekid530

karatekid530 Milwaukee's Best Full Member

Mar 22, 2006
    when i get on the ropes i like to do a few seconds of blocking and feigning tiredness and time their shot so i can sneak in a body left hook/left uppercut to the chin combo (im left handed/orthodox) then if that works and their head snaps a bit ill pivot out to my left and finish with a right hand usually up top. LOVE that combo.

2. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    call it whatever you want as long as you know what it is i dosent matter and its damn well effective

sounds good mate but dont get too predicable

3. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    A nice manoeuvre to use against southpaws is to parry down their jab with your left, take a half forward half side step to your left then bang out a 1 - 2 to their side.

4. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    i sparred my trainer last night who went southpaw it ****s me up im a sucker to a right hook and he caught me with it heaps but nearer the end of the round i was getting better as i jabbed my way in feinted with shots and used my right straight and a left hook.

but i had done 30 mins conditioning, 4 x 3 min rounds on bags with 100+ punches a round and 2 min x 3 rounds sparring before that with a burst nose but what the hey its all learning

5. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Lol, sounds good, keep it up.

I've never seen anyone spar a trainer at my gym :think probably because they're all old

6. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    its a shame on our trainer as he is only 25 but wants to box again but since there is no other trainer its between him and another 25 year old who wants to box again as well there both still **** hot though and them sparring is like hagler hearns

7. thekokid

thekokid Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2009
    yeh i got ****d up by a southpaw 1st round, couldn cope wit his straight left,, bt got the hang of it after a wile, gt beat tho,, he was hometown fighter so he got the decision,,

im a tall fighter n i wana go to the body more,,

how?

8. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    watch Alexis Arguello to see it done

Its all about getting your distance right, too far away you expose your self, too close you smother the shots.

Practis throwing a 1-2 then stepping in and landing a left hook to the body till you get it perfect. The distance will be intinctive and you can mix up the body shots now.

I try and get round the side of the guard plant my feet then bang the body. For defence i normally just lean on them as that smothers their work. Then step back when i want to punch the body.

9. thekokid

thekokid Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2009
    thanks for the advice,

10. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    no problem but watch Arguello he was the master

11. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I've just watched a few Arguello fights, very educating to watch.

12. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    yeh its good aint it RDJ

i love Arguello what a fighter love his 1-2

What a nice guy he was aswell.

13. 'Ben'

'Ben' Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 8, 2009

He had some ****ing good fights too. I have this documantary about latin fighters indoors made a few years back with him as one of the main fighters it's about, he seemed like a proper nice guy too to be fair, it's a massive shame what happened.

14. 'Ben'

'Ben' Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Any kid in an amatuer Gym who wants to know how to hook off the jab well should watch him too.... he was so good at making it land aswell, which is what the hardest part of using it is.

15. PH|LLA

PH|LLA VIP Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2007
    I liked how PBF broke down Judah. He took away the straight left by closing the gap on him. In order to do that he had to take away Judah's jab. He did that by agressively countering every time Judah threw it (charging in with the left over the top). Eventually Judah stopped throwing the jab and Mayweather was able to focus on Zab's left. One of Judah's flaws is that doesn't follow up his straight left with a right hook. He uses his right hook as a counterpunch only.

So Floyd took away Judah's jab, then he shifted his focus to the left hand, closed the gap, and dominated the fight on the inside which is where he is at his best and where the southpaw style is not as pronounced.

Marquez took away Pac's left for large periods of the fight with his footwork. Moving backwards and towards Pacquiao's right