George Groves announced for WBSS

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by yesihavearm2, Jun 16, 2017.

1. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    George Groves Signs On For World Boxing Super Series

WBA Super-Middleweight Super Champion George Groves (26-3, 19 KOs) has officially entered the revolutionary bracket-style elimination tournament for the GREATEST prize in boxing, the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

The Saint, who comes off a spectacular TKO victory over Fedor Chudinov, is thrilled to defend his belt against the best of the best.

“I see the World Boxing Super Series as a chance for me to show everyone that I'm the best in the division. I believe I am the best super-middleweight on the planet and certainly the man to beat at 168lbs [76.2 kg],"

Source is the Scene.

Thoughts?

Northadox and S.K like this.
  2. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008
    I hope to see both Eubank and DeGale sign into this. Rumours are Matt Korobov has already signed too.

3. Daydorail

Daydorail Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2015
    I think the 8 will be,
    Winner of Zuegue/Smith
    Winner of AA/CEJ
    Groves
    Ramirez
    Korobov
    Chudinov
    Probs loser of AA/CEJ
    Feigenbutz

App Eddie won't let matchroom fighters in so No DeGale and Smith

4. Daydorail

Daydorail Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Would set up unification between Smith DeGale, and winner fights winner (who would hold WBA IBO WBO)

5. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    One thing nobody can take away from Groves; he's never looked to dodge a challenge.

Gneus7, Terry94, Odins beard and 6 others like this.
  6. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I can't stand James Degale but he's also been plenty game throughout his career.

He's also wanted the tough fights which is why it's all the funnier that he doesn't really want it with Groves again. It's a similar situation with Khan and Brook. Amir has fought and wanted to fight against tougher opponents but just can't bear the thought of Brook beating him.

Gneus7 and Robney like this.
  7. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008
    If DeGale doesn't sign into this it probably rules him out of a lot of big fights. I can see him being very inactive over the next 12 months which is a shame.

The whole country wants to see DeGale vs Groves and DeGale vs Eubank.

8. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Degale just had shoulder surgery, wouldn't that rule him out? I think Eddie will try to make the Smith vs Degale fight for the end of the year.

I am stoked Groves is in though and I actually rate him and Gilberto the no1 and no2 of the division, Degale is 3 IMO.

Let's see who else has the nuts to sign up, apparently Korovbov is in which is a shame. Andy Lee took his soul and I'd expect any decent 168lber to beat him at this point. In his prime he was legit though.

9. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Top class from groves fought degale froch jack chudimov Murray and to enter into this guy always up challenge massive respect good to see guys wanting be best by taking on best and not ether holding a belt hostage or talking talk then fight bums. Like a few other British fightrs

Draperys likes this.