GGG leaves Abel Sanchez

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by cleglue1, Apr 24, 2019.

1. BaileyBlack

BaileyBlack New Member banned Full Member

May 31, 2018
    This is not how a trainer, manager or fighter should act in public. You say the right things in public and you do your real business behind closed doors.

Also, when you are making 10's of millions, you don't pay any trainer or manager a standard percentage. At that stage, you negotiate a different pay structure. Does anyone think Floyd, Vlad, Joshua, Canelo, etc. pay their trainers and managers standard percentages.

Rock0052 likes this.
  2. cleglue1

cleglue1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Realistically team GGG consist of Gennady Golovkin & Max Golovkin, Abel Sanchez holds mitts and acts like his hands hurt all the time.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  3. Payback87

Payback87 Active Member Full Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Im not the biggest fan of Golovkin or Abel Sanchez but this trainer was acting like a promoter and did a lot for Golovkin in the long run. He was explaining how Golovkin is some monster and beats anyone from 154 to 168 and even dropped Kovalev in sparring and stories of Golovkin sparring cruiser and heavyweights etc, bunch of lies but still made a name for Golovkin, something that Golovkin himself and his real promoter Loeffler couldnt do.

Golovkin is all about the money and begging Canelo for more fights. I had Golovkin 8-4 in the first fight and draw 6 rounds each in the rematch but never wanted to see a rematch honestly. Golovkin sold his titles for cash and wants to get 1-2 more fights.

His latest opponent is disgraceful also. Fighting Brook was pathetic as well, ruined the guy`s career. My opinion is that Golovkin struggles to make 160 for couple of years now but some fanboys claim that he is SMALL middleweight while he is average one. I think Golovkin is looking worse and worse each fight due to cutting weight and not that much because of age. He could do well at 168 considering the poor opposition in that division in recent years until now.

I cant understand why Golovkin didnt move to 168 all these years to get some paydays in the UK.

4. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Because he had way way more money to be earned against Canelo, also its not like the UK don't shaft you on the cards, he might as well go for the dough. He would've beaten Groves and Degale imo quite obviously, I don't think they would've jumped at the chance to fight him anyway

5. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Abel is a bollocks, he wanted to much

6. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Usually not a good idea to leave a long time trainer after this long. But maybe he wants to try another look from a trainer. Interesting to say the least.

7. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Reading through this thread is typical Eastside.

The saintly European is always 100% justified and can do no wrong, while the villainous brown/black person is always in the wrong and gets what they deserve...

8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Not that surprising really.

Sanchez molded GGG into a marketable fighter. He took someone with excellent technique, a remarkable AM background and someone who already looked good as a pro and turned him into a much more offensively orientated machine. It - gradually - made him a very popular figure and someone most fans loved to watch. Sanchez gets his fighters in great shape and he gets the most out of their power. He isn't a great tactician in this day and age though. His corner work has been poor from what I remember. He gave Gassiev nothing. In the second GGG-Canelo fight, he was poor too. Effectively saying "just knock him out!", which isn't useful. He was asking his 36 year old fighter to stand and trade on the inside with Canelo, who is not only an exceptionally competent counter puncher but also someone who works the body with the best of them. It was bad advice and although it's not great to see a fighter go mutinous I do think GGG electing to jab and move instead was the right tactic. So all things considered, I#m not overly surprised. Sanchez got GGG to the top but I don't think it's a job only he could have done. He was on his way there already.

Problem GGG will have is how much difference another trainer can make to his game at 37. Maybe he just wants someone who can analyse a fight better and provide better insight between rounds. His style isn't likely to change; we've already seen that he has had to adapt differently with age and incorporate the jab more.

As for the contract chat, I've no idea what trainers normally make and if Sanchez was deserving of it. Is GGG being disloyal or is Sanchez being greedy? Is it maybe even the other way round for each? I don't really know.

Dirsspaardis and Rock0052 like this.
  9. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    If you were being trained by a Russian and lost a disputed decision to Kovalev, you'd be OK with your trainer publicly saying he was proud a Russian won the title right after the fight?

10. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    It’s not that bad of a decision.
    Yeah, Golovkin is old but he has shown the world he can do it all, pressure, outbox, KO or win on points.
    He wasn’t this pressuring KO machine his whole career, that’s what he turned into.
    If he thinks someone else can actually give him an advice that’ll work, why not go for it.

11. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Even the best fighter can’t train himself. Also, Marciano was successful because of Goldman’s training and Marciano’s dedication and discipline outside the ring. Bonavena had the talent and potential to be as good as Marciano, but was lazy and wouldn’t take instruction like he needed to.