Great All British Tear Ups

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Plumber From Liverpool, Jul 17, 2020.

1. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Lucas v Sibson is absolutely primal. Tony actually said he felt like he was fighting for his life against Lucas.

2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    One that was remembered with reverence for years was George Feeney v Ray Cattouse for the British Lightweight Title in 1982. I don't think words can describe that one. Wobbly highlights are still available on Youtube.
    Manchester's Mike Whalley and Les Walsh were not only gym mates but best mates. They produced two wars you had to watch from behind the settee. I can't believe there is no footage out there.
    Also anything featuring British Welters in the early to mid 80's, Kostas Petrou, Chris Sanigar, Tony Brown and Rocky Kelly.

3. Makingweight

Makingweight Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Minter v Sibson the fight we only get to see in grainy quality as TV wouldn't show it in the UK as Minter had advertising on his shorts DAF,was gutted was a young kid and watched anything and everything boxing on Sportsnight and Midweek Sport Special,,,,,one for us older generation:).

Eddie Hearn,Frank Warren wouldn't of had to build any fake hype on that one as they really had a dislike of each other,very intense fight and a passing of the torch,fight all good shouts and all fighters mentioned never in anything but good scraps :thumbsup:

4. Makingweight

Dec 7, 2011
    Guy i know used to fight on the same bills as Sanigar and they were an are good mates still,Sanigar was a real character and one fight he ran late for the weigh in on purpose knew his opponent was struggling with weight and walked in eating a ice cream,,,,aked the opponent if he wanted some :lol:

This was when he was fighting for Frank Warren.

5. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cardle v Dodds (Fight #1)

Cardle got the controversial nod on the cards but Dodds, as a rank outsider, did more than enough to win this fight. I quite enjoyed it.

Twentyman and Here's Johnny like this.
  6. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  7. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    The fat cheat stopped Dodd at the first sign of any trouble against Cardle. Dodd was well winning that fight . Always disliked Cardle since especially after getting a gift draw in the second and being ungracious when Dodd suggested a 3rd fight. I was delighted when Burns made him stiff as a board and Barrett gave him bit of a beating.

Oreet Cha! likes this.
  8. Makingweight

Dec 7, 2011
    No fan of Cardle either especially when after the second fight he made out he was doing Dodd a big favour in giving him the fight and a PAYDAY,laughable as Dodd always did a huge amount of tickets.

Cardle literally could only shift a few dozen and without JG in his corner and no fan of his either he would of never got any exposure,you don't sell you don't get on.

Here's Johnny likes this.
  9. Plumber From Liverpool

Plumber From Liverpool Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Great fight while it lasted

10. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Frankie Lucas , a genuine hard nut, they still talk now about his fight with Terry Henderson in the amateurs to this day, absolute all out war. if you didnt care too much about your fighter, then put in with Lucas. lessons learned the hard way.
    I used to visit a gym in Highgate around the time Lucas was in the top tier of British middleweights, to watch the sparring sessions with the pros of the day, luckily for me on this particular occasion Lottie Mwale ( remember him ) was there looking to spar with someone, who should walk in but Lucas !! happy days.
    So George Francis while wrapping Frankies hands pleads with him to take it easy, after all its meant to sharpen up fighters not shorten their careers, suffice it to say the pleading fell on deaf ears.
    Lucas tore out for the first round, like a man demented, throwing hard meaning full punches at Lottie, hate in his heart, lest we forget Mwale was so slouch, he was a battle hardened LH who had sparked Sibson, gave Bunny Johnson a boxing lesson, and a fight with Saad was in the pipeline, so e fought back with aplomb , for 6 rounds they pummeled each other ( much to my delight ) tbh I have seen world title fights that didn't pack this action , and let me tell you Lucas more than held his own, he was one tough hombre.

11. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    What a great read ! I love reading these kind of stories, first hand experiences etc. Wonderful post.

12. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Thanks for your kind words Bellers, makes it all worth while. keep safe.

13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I thought Ritson vs Davies Jn was an absolute belter. As was Smith vs Ryder, Selby v Warrington, Frampton v Warrington, Liam Smith v Liam Williams (1), and just to chuck an older fight in, Lewis v Bruno.

14. MooMan

MooMan Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Froch Calzaghe

15. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Who won!

Its been that long i seem to have forgot...

George Crowcroft likes this.