Groves vs Eubanks.. Official pick em!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by im sparticus, Nov 23, 2017.

How do you see this fight going

Poll closed Mar 3, 2018.
  1. Groves k.o

52 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Groves pts

85 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Eubanks k.o

60 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Eubanks pts

34 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    We have a British superfight on our doorstep early next yr in manc.
    How do you all see this fight going. Also give at least a short explanation for your choice..
    Im going with Eubanks k.o.
    Im quite suprising myself at this choice tbh, iv always been a groves fan and i never bought into the eubank hype but i do feel jnr is starting to show a bit more and groves, maybe a bit less since he left Booth.
    Im going late stoppage from jnr after hes been on the floor himself early to mid rds on.

2. S.K

S.K Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I've gone Eubank points. Like yourself I'm surprising myself as I would've picked Groves until recently.

Eubank is relentless, and I believe he will outpoint groves due to his incredible workrate.

Groves last couple of fights I believe he was having trouble with the others guys workrate, getting backed up, however he was manage to win these fights due to his power.

The big question is, can Eubanks chin take Groves power? I believe it can. It's not been truely tested yet, but it will against groves.

I do believe there's a decent chance groves wins by KO.

The one result I can't envisage is Groves points, I don't see how he hold manage this as Eubank will no question out punch him.

Either way, great fight, I'm a fan of both, and will definitely be watching this live at the Manchester Arena!

3. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Super Groves on points, close but clear.

Suspect.chin, Spice52 and CST80 like this.
  4. underwraps

underwraps Active Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Iv'e gone Eubank on points.It's a tricky one.It's also possible that Eubank could stop Groves late as well,due to his better engine and high work rate.
    On the other hand Groves could catch him with a bomb and win by ko.
    The only outcome I can't see happening is Groves on points.This ain't a fight i'd bet on.

lencoreastside and S.K like this.
  5. Blancrabello

Blancrabello Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Groves on points. Think he may just have enough ring craft and power to beat Eubanks. Depends on Groves jab for me and whether he can use it to keep Eubanks at bay. Personally I have a feeling that Eubanks may be another James Degale. All flash and powder puff but comes unstuck against a good fundamental operator with experience.

6. Anabolic

Anabolic New Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I'm going for Eubank on points also, Groves is the better boxer, but I feel that Jr. is getting better with every fight, and Groves is on the decline, this is so close though as even a slightly past best groves can beat Jr.

Controversial statement but I beleive it's better for British boxing if Jr. wins.

7. dfgtruk

dfgtruk New Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Eubank stops him. Groves will retire in his corner. (Round 9)

Eubank too fast and overwhelming for Groves, will hit with combo after combo and really hurt Groves.

Groves has a good jab but that will not be enough to keep Eubank away. Post Carl Froch Groves has never been the same, the wars he had will catch up with him on the night.

matt007 likes this.
  8. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm picking Eubank but I wouldn't put any money on it, I just think if he can take the Groves power he will out work him. Eubank ud.

S.K likes this.
  9. hap

hap Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Eubank stops him.

It's just a horrible style match-up for Groves. He's a much better fighter than his mammoth effort to become world champion would suggest, easily one of the best brits of this era. Problem is, Eubank represents the embodiment of the style that's posed him trouble throughout his career.

I'm sure Eubank will pay him the respect his power is due in the first few rounds but it'll just be a matter of time before discomfort shows up in Groves composure and things fall apart. I'd guess by about the 8th or 9th it'll be over for him, or near to it.

matt007 and DJN16 like this.
  10. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Groves K.O or Eubank will pull out before the fight.

Spice52 and Suspect.chin like this.
  11. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Eubank on points due to work rate I think Groves will catch him often though and might take him out unless he has inherited his dads chin

12. Breazer5678

Breazer5678 Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2014
    True 50/50 for me- either Groves UD or Eubank TKO late.

Obviously Snrs chin was granite but who has Jnr been hit by so far ? Not questioning his chin but is there any evidence to show he's got a similar mandible ?

Biggest questions going into this are; can Groves deal with the relentless attack & speed and can GG hurt Eubank/earn his respect. Really looking forward to this one

Hugo98 likes this.
  13. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    If this was the GG who gave Froch all kinds of unholy hell in their first fight, I'd be picking GG all day long but, I feel that GG is a little bit shop worn nowadays and has had a pretty tough schedule the last few years. Eubank Jnr seems to improve with every fight and has grown into the weight comfortably.

I also feel that Jnrs style, work rate and athleticism is GG's Kryptonite. I imagine the first few rounds being pretty tight and cagey, GG then doing quite well in the second quarter of the fight, at which point Jnrs work rate will start to make GG uncomfortable and work to hard to hold Jnr off. Jnr starts to take control in the third quarter, and finally ends up catching GG around rnd 10 and works him over for a TKO/ref stoppage. Should be an absolute corker though, whatever the outcome. Big fan of both and can't wait, definately FOTY candidate.

matt007 and im sparticus like this.
  14. Windrunner07

Windrunner07 Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2015
  15. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    The problem with Groves is that he is on the slide and he has physically deteriorated. Example, the Jamie Cox fight.
    He also never had that great stamina or athleticism. Example, Carl Froch fights.

CEJ has come on leaps and bounds and has the stamina right until the end of the 12th.

CEJ by UD. I will go for UD, because I think CEJ will see the decision out rather than go full throttle and go for the KO. He respects Groves a lot and will be fearful of his power throughout the fight.

im sparticus likes this.