Harry Greb vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Mar 28, 2016.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Bit less fantasy when you consider Greb had already beaten almost all of Jacks title challengers, even the one who ended his reign.

2. gregluland

gregluland Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Allright then... maybe I should do a Greb vs Ali thread... who do you pick in that one ?... and while we are at it how does greb go against The Bull of the Pampas ?

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Well I don't think Greb beat any of Ali's it'll challengers so it's a slightly different kettle of fish.

However, for Greb v Ali: I've never seen Greb fight so can't comment.

For Greb v Bull of the Pampas: I've never seen Greb run from a bull so can't comment.

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    He beat them pre 1922 aside from Gibbons which was very early in 1922. Up until the Gibbons fight in 1922 Greb was not on the boxing publics radar in terms of a serious challenger to Dempsey. After Gibbons he did NOTHING in the hwt division. Greb was so serious a hwt challenger he did nothing to pursue a championship fight for the rest of his career.

5. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    LOL the guy known as the Wild Bull of the Pampas was the giant Luis Angel Firpo who is basically a foot taller than Greb and god knows how many pounds but he is like a Klitschko in size.

6. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Absolutely untrue. Greb and Dempsey had been talked of for a match as early as 1918.

7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Unfortunately, sparring is all we got for Greb-Dempsey, since Jack & Co. saw fit to give title shots to every Greb victim that was plausible.

The level of denial among Dempsey apologists is so astounding as to be laughable. With the exception of hype job Firpo, Greb beat every Dempsey challenger that would dare enter the ring with him. Carpentier sh*t his pants at the mention of a match with Greb.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Should I quote the dozen or so articles at my fingertips which refute this statement. It is just getting tiresome to correct this stuff....

9. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013
    And when offered a fight with Greb he refused saying hed rather fight tiny jim herman or joe mccann, two bums who lost to the best fighters they faced. Greb took out ads in the newspaper and released handbills calling for a fight with Firpo. Firpo was steared clear of Greb for good reason. He was a big, slow, lumbering, totally unskilled neandertal who was manufactured by tex rickard and the media as a foil for dempsey.

10. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013

If i had a nickel for every time perry said this and i corrected him id be rich. The problem is fanboys live in their own reality. You can post documented articles from 1918, 1919, 1920, and 1921 showing Greb was very much on the radar before 1922 but hed be back here on the next Dempsey thread repeating the same nonsense like hed never seen anything to the contrary. They all do it. They all have to practice the willing suspension of disbelief because the alternative would be to admit they were wrong and they cant do that.

11. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Sure I know the weaknesses of Firpo but the guy is so big and strong he really can't be hurt by Greb and to last 15 rounds so outsized, outstrengthed etc etc etc seems unlikely, Firpo was a big lug but one single swipe lands and Greb is in trouble despite a great chin he cannot do a Dempsey and knock this guy out... it is unfair to cite this matchup, Greb wanted to fight everyone, no matter how realistic his chances. Firpo is a streetfighter, certainly no boxer. You cannot see Greb as being beatable no matter who I'd name.... he could win on points over 15 but how ? all Firpo needs to do is push him to the roped or corner and lean on him and just hit him. The matchup isn't important to me though but Firpo has so many obvious advantages... who the hell knows why he didn't fight Greb, maybe he was afraid Harry was so small he would simply not see him as a mountain may not see a billygoat. All these stories about fighters not taking up offers often come down to just money.

12. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Carpentier soiled his pants ? Never read that report. Carpentier fights the most feared man in the world yet won't fight Greb ? that doesn't make sense.

13. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    seriously this thread is losing the plot... is there actually a fighter in history who could ever beat Greb ?..... in this bubble of a universe Greb beats Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Lennox Lewis The Klitschko's Liston Patterson, Jeanette, Foreman... hell why bother obviously there is no point.... he could beat every heavyweight in history ON THE SAME NIGHT............. all well and good, if you never heard of PHYSICS.

14. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Please do I love to read that stuff.

15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Uhm. I think that you've lost the plot. Nobody has claimed any of that. That's your straw man.

What's true is that Greb did want a fight with Dempsey and that he gave him a torrid 3 round sparring session.

As to what would happen in an actual fight, well that's speculation and we're putting an honest effort into trying to answer that.