Hatton let boxing down last night

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TheUzi, May 3, 2009.

1. dan-b

dan-b Boxing Junkie banned

Jan 3, 2009
    The only thing I disagree with Dunky about is that Floyd senior took Hatton backwards. I think it's fairly clear Floyd wasn't afforded the opportunity to Ricky anywhere, because he wasn't listening to him. I thought Floyd saying 'You should have listened to me from day one' in between rounds was very telling.

Who was this Lee Beard chap? Why was he involved in the camp? Whether you like Floyd or not, if you hire a top trainer you let him use his own people. When a new manager takes over in football he bring his own team.

2. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Great post Dunky it really is. I think part of the problem unfortunately is that the Hatton nuthuggers have not been objective about hence the consequences when he is exposed at the elite level giving the haters the opportunity for payback.

As you know I am neither a Hatton nuthugger or a hater but I am very objective about him because he is a fighter I have had to study assidously. Like Lloyd Honeyghan before him you need to give him credit for facing the best of his era win or lose. His level of opponent was not always great during the time spent with Sports Network but taking on Tyzu, PBF and Pacman says everything about him as Calzaghe's failure to face the best at their peak says everything about him.

If and when he does retire I will really miss Ricky. I think he should probably have a final fight in Manchester as a "thank you" to those great fans of his. I think he will knockout Khan. I will be rooting for him against Witter and yo know what would happen to him against my guy. I don't know who will be chosen for his farewell fight but I think I will be ringside to see the most popular British fighter ever.

3. ApatheticLeader

ApatheticLeader is bringing ***y back. Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    He never let boxing down. The only person or thing he let down, was himself.

4. toffeejack

toffeejack Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2007
  5. TheUzi

TheUzi MISSION INCOMPLETE Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    So you honestly dont believe the way Hatton performed was embarrassing?

For the way he went about his business last night ,he deserves every bit of critisism he gets.

Not being smug,just telling it how it is.

6. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    He didnt let anyone down. He simply got found out.

7. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Bingo.

8. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    REALITY CHECK: Boxing is NOT a compassionate sport. This is a sport of gladiators where men put it on the line. Those that have inferior weapons loose. And the WINNERS ALWAYS win.

9. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Hatton embarrassed Britain AGAIN.

10. dan-b

dan-b Boxing Junkie banned

Jan 3, 2009
    Oh, so it was Hatton who implemented our 'swinging door' immigration policy, let the bankers run wild and took us on a phony war was it? Never mind the underage pregnancies and chavs. This country embarrasses itself on a regular basis and none of it has anything to do with boxing.

11. darren1976

darren1976 New Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2006

Unfortunately I have to agree with you mate. Hatton's approach in the ring was ridiculous. To be honest I never rated him as having much talent but he was strong and had a balls in is early - midle career. However in his last last 5-6 fights he has actually got worse in every facet of his trade. His strength is waning, what little technique appears to have gone, his chin is in pieces, and his tactical awareness and ability to change approach obviously is not there any more. It is now clear that he was over hyped, too much credence was placed on his win against KT when he had not fought for a long time and was past it. That night Hatton was at his strongest. Shame, like most I really believed hatton when he said he would box clever and move his head, but he simply was never capable of it.

I wish him well, was genuinely worried about him when he was on the canvas, it was a brutal KO. Fair play to him for having balls and giving it a go but I do wonder how so many people have managed to overlook his glaring deficiencies for so long. He must be a special guy to have so many loyal fans, I am sure he feels terribly disappointed about his performance. Retire, rest and a future in promotion awaits, no point risking what little reputation he has left for a few meaningless fights.

12. Axl_Nose

Axl_Nose Well-Known Member Full Member

May 9, 2007
    Totally agree with you .. But for morons like you who know nothing about boxing calling Hatton a disgrace from the comfort of your computer is a total joke ..
    Hey Scurla your always talking like your a prime Sugar Ray Leonard so why dont you give it a shot in the ring, i'd pay big money to sit at ringside to see you get knocked out in 3 seconds.
    Why dont you concentrate on providing constructive criticism instead of sounding like a an angry teenager :deal

13. Axl_Nose

Axl_Nose Well-Known Member Full Member

May 9, 2007
    'Embarrassing' is totally the wrong word .. Nobody who steps into a ring can be called 'Embarrassing'. Boxers are human beings, even Tyson was fearful walking to the ring because taking punches in the face in front of millions of people, and in front of your family is the hardest thing in sport.
    Boxing is by far and away the toughest sport in the world mentally and i just feel to call any boxer an 'embarrassment' is way over the line ..
    Its clear to me that Hatton's training camp was a disaster, no gameplan to fight Manny was instilled in him so he reverted to his brawling, head first, no defence strategy that has seen him through in the past ..
    I expected him to go 8 or 9 rounds with Pac before his stamina failed and a well prepared Ricky is good enough to do that, however good Pac is ..
    To call a guy like Ricky Hatton, 'an embarrassment' and to suggest 'he let down boxing', is totally out of order ..
    Lennox Lewis got stopped by 2 of the weakest belt holders in heavyweight history, yeah he avenged but those losses were far more 'embarrassing' than Hatton going down against the 2 best fighters of the last 25 years.
    Naz gets schooled by Barerra, has another fight against Calvo and then calls it quits, not even trying to get back on top. Thats more 'embarrassing' than Hatton.
    Its all about perspective and to ridicule a man for fighting the very best and losing is not right ..

14. retriever

retriever Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Hatton let Charles Barkley down:lol:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9i9pK4mgbY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeastsideboxing%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D71913%26page%3D1121&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

15. jabandmovetv

jabandmovetv New Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2009
    hatton is a legend. he's a world class boxer but not elite class such as mayweather jnr and pacquiao. hatton just met a man who is at the peak of his powers and will go on 2 be p4p best of all time when he beats mayweather jnr, so there's no disgrace in hatton losing to a future p4p best ever. ricky your still a legend!