Heavy weight contenders fighting in the wrong era?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Sep 19, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    He also called himself better than Marciano, or something to that effect.
    That gives him an automatic +55 points in the rankings.

The Kentucky Cobra likes this.
  2. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    To answer the thread, Black Heavyweight contenders before 1940.

And superheavyweights from the same time period.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Elmer Ray could have done very nicely for himself, if he had come along a bit later.

Not that he would necessarily have been champion, but he would have had all the advantages of good management, and he would have made a ton of money.

Ray Mercer could have done a lot better, if he had come along a bit earlier, or a bot later.

4. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    This probably won't be an especially popular choice, but I think Golota could have excelled in almost any other era.

ticar and Fergy like this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Good pick in ray. Someone who gets a bit overlooked. Depending on the era he fight s in, with better luck on his side he could have gone lot further.
    Same as mercer, he came along in a solid era of top heavy s. He'd never be a Atg but that's not my question. Mercer would beat a few in the 80 s, one of the alphabet boys, if he's fit and focused.

6. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    You may mock rez, but remember, Quarry came along in probably one of the toughest eras in heavy boxing. Yes he lost a fair few and he had his weaknesses but he can't have been that bad to even get as ranked as high as he did back then. If he'd been just some white heavy coming along but no skills whatsoever, then he'd have been forgotten. He'd have been in the same position as Michael Grant! So yes.. I give him a good shot at the early 30 s guys.

7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Ruddock verses a young wlad, I give razor a great shot at replicating Sanders.

8. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    I’m not mocking him, I just think he’s being overmatched, and that there are other dangerous fighters in that division he would probably be better suited to win against.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Yeah, anybody who could punch could beat Wlad

10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

You know after reading your post I have to agree, whenever I think of Quarry matched up with histories fighters Patterson , Ingo, Baer, etc. not the all time greats mind you I have a hard time seeing him win many fights. He is what he was ,,,a ranked contender

11. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Ok rez, point taken. I'm not trying to imply that quarry is next greatest white heavyweight down from Dempsey and marciano, but the guy took his lumps in a very tough era and hung about. He would do better in another era for sure.

reznick likes this.
  12. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    What about a undefeated Golata verses wlad? Or, and it may sound crazy, but Golata v Liston the champ? Liston taking him lightly and getting worked over.?

13. The Kentucky Cobra

The Kentucky Cobra Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 9, 2017
    And Quarry was a bad man with some good wins. I think if you moved him in the 90s, he would have had the chance to grab some cruiser titles as well as grab an alphabet title at some point. Lots of big sluggers, he has a shot of outboxing in that time frame. I think he could have given Moorer a great scrap. That would be a fun series.

But moving him into the 30s or something like that, he would fall in with guys like Johnny Risko and maybe never even get a shot at the title.

14. The Kentucky Cobra

The Kentucky Cobra Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 9, 2017
    He would have got the Rex Layne treatment against The Rock.

reznick likes this.
  15. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah? Name five?