Henderson vs. Rampage

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by knox-boxer, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    I tell you what, Nobuyuki Sakakibara must feel like complete **** at the moment.
    He probably sold PRIDE in good faith thinking it will be kept alive in its then current state, the Ferttitas said so much bull**** at that conference about how they respected PRIDE and loved it and will keep it alive for the Japenese fans.......then gutted it of all talentand installing ***** unified rules.

The unfied rules system is very slowly starting to take away the entire reason why, vale tudo/ufc was created.

I mean christ! it doesn't have to be like early UFC's but no knees or kicks to the head on a grounded opponent?
    What will they ban next?
    Are they going to ban punching opponents on the ground? Elbows? kicks to the head?

Will it become essentially boxing+grappling and move futher and further away from what MMA is really all about!

2. Nuke

Nuke Full Length Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Josh Gross is reporting that his zuffa contacts are saying it IS gonna be a title fight. Just heard this on the Stephen Quadros radio show.

3. Nuke

Nuke Full Length Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Report: Henderson and Jackson Will Fight for UFC Light Heavyweight Championship

Posted by UFC Junkie on July 3, 2007 at 7:52 pm ET
    This content is protected
    The UFC 75 main event between UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson (27-6 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and PRIDE welterweight and middleweight champion Dan Henderson (22-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) will, in fact, be a title fight.
    Today on
    , Quadros and and co-host Aaron Crecy passed along a report — citing Zuffa LLC (parent company of the UFC) sources — that the fight would be for the UFC light heavyweight championship.

Earlier today, we passed along a report from the
    in which UFC president Dana White was quoted as saying that the fighters’ belts would not be on the line. With the update from Quadros, though, yesterday’s report now seems erroneous — possibly the result of a simple misunderstanding.

And now, even though the fight appears it won’t unify the titles as White first mentioned, the bout reportedly will have the UFC’s 205-pound title on the line.
    Henderson, it seems, will retain the PRIDE belt regardless of the fight’s outcome.
    Jackson, a former PRIDE fighter who transitioned into the UFC earlier this year, picked up the light-heavyweight belt by defeating longtime champ Chuck Liddell at UFC 71.

Henderson, a U.S. Olympic Greco-Roman wrestler, won the UFC 17 tournament in 1998 before heading overseas for a successful career in PRIDE. After winning the organization’s welterweight title, he scored an upset of Wanderlei Silva at PRIDE 33 earlier this year to pick up the middleweight belt, as well.

Ever since UFC owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta purchased PRIDE earlier this year, the Japanese-based organization has been in a state of limbo. White even went as far as calling the business “a mess,” and with numerous PRIDE fighters being signed to UFC contracts, it’s remains unknown if an event will be held under the PRIDE name anytime soon.
    For the latest
    , check out the
    section of UFCjunkie.com.

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/07/03/report-ufc-75-henderson-vs-jackson-fight-for-ufc-light-heavyweight-championship/

4. dwilson

dwilson Guest

I hope hendo wins and dominates the div for awhile.

5. Dostoevsky

Jun 17, 2007
    Shogun will just come over and beat up both of them (Rampage for the 2nd time)

6. elixirvtec

elixirvtec Active Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2006
    I agree with you on shogun over rampage if they were to fight a second time but hendo is a different kind of fighter. You are so quick to judge on that one. All i have to say is it would be a good fight and I wouldn't know who would win.

7. knox-boxer

knox-boxer CPL of the VRWC Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    The fact of the matter is that Pride wasn't making a large enough profit after the fighter pay outs, etc etc without a TV deal. When their Japanese television sponsor dropped them, they had 5-6 more fight cards. They might of lasted a bit longer if they hadn't try to come into the mainstream American market at the time they did. Sakakibara is a very well known *******, he backs out of deals and makes other possible deals impossible with his negotiations. If the copy wasn't at deaths door to begin with how come DSE sold out for all of 50 million?

Blame Sakakibara for being a *******, he murdered his baby.

8. fatcity

fatcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I understand the Rampage-Henderson fight will now be switched from ppv to Spike.Can anyone confirm this?:hi:

9. Dostoevsky

Jun 17, 2007
    Yes, the fight is in London so it will be free for Americans to view.

10. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007