Holyfield-Holmes Scoring

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RulesMakeItInteresting, Jul 25, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Holy won the 1st round as Holmes didn`t do much of anything until tyhe last minute of that round when he got a few shots in.

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Absolutely, Larry seemed very hesitant. I think Holy's hand speed kind of befuddled him throughout the fight.

mark ant likes this.
  3. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    OK very good! I rarely hear any talk about Holyfield almost being even knocked down against Foreman.
    Just how Foreman survive his blitzkrieg.
    Do you agree about the point re: relative merits of each older boxer's performance against the same opponent considering stylistic advantages or lack therien?

4. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    Very good, I rarely hear aby talk about Holyfield even nearly floored against Foreman, let alone almost Koed.
    Just about how Foreman survived The Real Deal's Blitzkrieg.

Do you agree about my point re: relative merits of each man's performance against a common opponent based upon stylistic advantages or challenges?

5. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I think we could have a very interesting conversation about that after I check out Holy/George again, which I'm now looking forward to thanks to you, my friend.

Entaowed likes this.
  6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Can you timestamp the point that Holy nearly got KO`d at?

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I will try to do that...but for sure in either the second or third round. Then there was the 10th, when Holyfield came back to his stool and with serious concern asked the corner "are all my teeth knocked out"?

Holy himself admitted to the two semi-blackouts during the fight. The problem was Holy was just too young and spry for George to follow up.

It's testament to how scary a puncher George truly was, his punches would sometimes be far more effective than they looked (witness the final blow against Moorer).

8. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    No, because I never said that it occurred or that this was my judgement. I was responding to what my friend Rulesmakeitinteresting wrote-he believes it happened twice.
    Ask him, because I would not want to assume what incidents he referred to.

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Fantastic.

roughdiamond likes this.
  10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed. Unless you were peak Mike Tyson there's every chance he's going to make you look worse than you really are. He maintained a solid level even when his best was long behind him.

Sangria and Colonel Sanders like this.
  11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    You got it rolling - well done.

12. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Feel free to score the other 11 Mark or are you going to tease us with one tantalizing round at a time!

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Just looked back at the fight yesterday, hated it the first time around, Holy was dissapointing against a badly faded Holmes but won a clear decisive victory.

14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    You tease!

15. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    OK, but the guy who insisted he could beat HW champ Holyfield-was he a World Class professional fighter?
    Or anything close to this?
    Any reason to believe that if Holyfield took the fight seriously he could even last a single round?