Holyfield vs Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Jan 11, 2016.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The black and white cat lost to a tabby, that Dempsey used as a sparring partner!

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    :lol::good You f*cker:lol:

3. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm not as confident as many of you are that Dempsey would win. I don't view this so much as a contest of power, as a contest of chins, and from that vantage point I think Holyfield's is better.

That said, while I like both of these fighters enormously, I'm a bigger fan of Dempsey so it certainly wouldn't bother me if he were to win.

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The fact remains that Holyfield was proven against a much deeper and
    much better level of fighter. I shudder to think what Holy would have done against a Firpo.

5. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Spot on.

6. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    holyfield would be able to bully Dempsey, take his best punches and stop him within 6

7. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    Frazier gets a phd in how to roll onto a left hook and Dempsey is invited to watch and learn

8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    holy can confuse up Dempsey for a points win, although hes going down at least once.

however, peds are an issue, majorly, holy was a user.

9. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    There you go again !!!:I suspect Jack Dempsey had a tad more courage than you sir...The same tired old mantra. Give it a rest...

10. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    The same old mantra is this lame insistence that Dempsey can beat fighters wildly more talented and accomplished than those he actually did beat.

Please to be listing me Dempsey's 5 best victims. Then please to do the same for Holyfield. If you can't see the wanting in one of those lists compared to the other, this forum needs to be refiled under: Fantasy.

11. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    How many post Louis, Heavyweight champions do you think Dempsey beats ?? Very few as I see it.

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    In no particular orders...

Dempsey:
    Willard
    Fulton
    Sharkey
    Gibbons
    Firpo

Holyfield:
    Bowe
    Dougas
    Tyson
    Foreman
    Moorer

Mix and match anyway you want. I don't see anyone on Dempsey's list beating anyone on Holy's list. Yes, Moorer would crush the Willard that Dempsey faced.

13. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    I have said this before , but I will say it again. If a Dempsey or a prime Joe Louis fought and beat opponents of their time who were for the most part less formidable than an Ali, Holyfield, opponent it does not translate necessarily that a prime Dempsey or Joe Louis would not
    whip an Ali, Holyfield H2H. Not at all...I go by my experience and
    intuition in picking fantasy fights and I will repeat once again. No fighter who ever lived were able to pick their time of birth...They
    could only fight and dominate what fighters were in their era...And
    that goes for GGG, who is as good a middleweight these tired eyes has seen, though his competition is not as stellar as some MWs of the past...H2H means what fighters of different era's bring into the ring.
    No less, no more...ciao...

14. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    No, but it gives far more weight to the argument that a Holy or Ali or Wlad or Larry would beat a Dempsey as they have defeated better fighters. That is both intuitive and hermetic logic. You have just bolstered my argument.

15. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    But, how in your infinite wisdom can you ascertain that a Dempsey or Louis would not have beaten the same roster of fighters that Holyfield beat ? You can't and you know it...A great fighter is born with inherent gifts in every age and these same fighters would have excelled in any age, is my philosophy...For example a Joe Louis from the 1930s would have sliced through Ali's era like a hot knife through butter. What a prime Jack Dempsey gives up in heft against today's dreadnaughts
    he makes up in agility and litheness, combined with great ripping power
    and do or die toughness...This talent transcends era's...And in boxing I have observed "speed kills'...