Hopkins v Calzaghe

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by dealt_with, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    And yet, you just admitted that your scoring criteria are different to everybody else's.

What's the point of me picking out a round where zaggers lands 15 punches to 10 if you're going to be a little child about it and petulantly say - as though you just got shot at cowboys and indians - nuh-uh, that doesn't count, you missed! :rolleyes:
    Sir, I protest! :mad: Since Boxed Ears went on hiatus I consider myself BF24's premier and most entertaining troll :nonono

Clinton and lefthandlead like this.
  2. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    yes, he was able to beat good contender level LHW opponents, if you look at my posts I have already said he was a level above that, able to beat the weak titleholders but not the actual powers at the top of LHW.

You lowballed my argument, actually making my pro calzaghe argument weaker.

3. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    An extremely ugly, at times amateurish looking fight. Bernard did **** and Calzaghe didn't do much but flail around. It was a horrible style mesh up but Calzaghe won, he was dedicated to his workrate and moving his hands.

lefthandlead likes this.
  4. Pound4PoundGG

Pound4PoundGG Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2013
    I saw live what you see now.

dealt_with likes this.
  5. KO Artist

KO Artist Do not attempt to adjust your TV Full Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Not seen it in a long time, it was a messy fight and not much happened apart from that brief knock down. But Joe was busier and landed more (Didn't they say he landed more against Bhop than any other Bhop opponent?). Bhop was getting outworked at times in large stretches due to Joe's well known fast pace throughout. Bhop landed some good counters and pot shots , but nothing sustained. Joe won this though.

Clinton and lefthandlead like this.
  6. JabCross727

JabCross727 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Calzaghe simply was the busier of the two and the one taking on the initiative in the figh . As much as BHOP is a legend in the sport, Joe got him on this on based on work rate.

7. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    117-110 lol. Also lol at being intentionally naive about the meaning and interpretations of what corners tell their fighters- its totally always black and white and said literally. Definitely not meant to psyche a fighter up especially in close fights in hostel territory. Crazy how this fight still polarizes and causes major ass pain. Close fight that Calzaghe won through sheer work rate and not getting sucked into Hopkins world. Get over it already.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    First fight in America, he was scared of being robbed. Hopkins was looking for a way out. Or he was acting for a point deduction. You don't do that if you are winning.

9. lefthandlead

Jan 1, 2010
    Name a super middleweight who unified the division, has more title defenses and retired undefeated?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    And gave another top 5 SMW his first loss

lefthandlead likes this.
  11. lefthandlead

Jan 1, 2010
    LMAO!!:biggrin::biggrin:

BCS8 likes this.
  12. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    recognised title defences, or including when unrecognised?

do you mean unified title defences or non unified unrecognised?

13. lefthandlead

Jan 1, 2010
    What do you mean?? That's the next fight I'm going to watch but I have to finish Ruiz/Oquendo, Wlad/Fury and the Ruiz/Holyfield trilogy. :drooling:

Jackstraw, dealt_with and BCS8 like this.
  14. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    tihng is even if you call it a draw, then its still joes best in in his wholecareer, this draw with a 43 year old man

you shuld respects joes best effort of his entire career, that against a 43 year old.

Must have been an amazing career to go out on such a high that chad dawson and kovalev acheived double so by winning emphatically.

15. lefthandlead

Jan 1, 2010
    When the division is unified, the previous defences count..just like with Hopkins and Tyson.
    Hopkins doesn't have the middleweight record if you only count his unified defenses. Carlos M. does. You have to count Hopkins IBF ones too.