How can we win over boxing fans?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by pumpingiron, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Get them to watch it, the product speaks for itself.

2. oblate

oblate Active Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I agree. Especially in pen vs pulver 2 penn grabbing pulvers arm with his leg so he couldn't defend against the choke then getting the choke. good stuff.

3. knox-boxer

knox-boxer CPL of the VRWC Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    You can't win over the majority of them as they don't understand the ground game, or hate all things that don't involve standing and trading leather.

4. Mrboogie23

Mrboogie23 what the?? Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I think what Oblate said is correct. Alot of idiots that are fans of MMA criticize boxing and so alot of the older boxing fans are bothered by it. MMA is a fairly young sport so some of these guys have been fans of boxing for a LONG time.

It bothers them that some folks that haven't been following combat sports as long as them are trying to derail and criticize boxing.

Hell, I've been in that boat. People that criticize boxing are dumb as **** and vice versa with mma.

I'm a fan of both and everyone person I know that does MMA respects the hell out of boxers. The problem is with the fanboys I think.

5. mann187

mann187 WTF is going on? Full Member

May 22, 2007
    They just need to realise that its not a competition. But when you have people like Dana and Dibella saying things about each other sports everyone starts to pick sides. Personally i got respect for any aspect of the fight game and because I was a boxing fan first I feel a sense of loyalty to boxing. But at the same time Im starting to love MMA so I cant pick sides. The hardcore fans will realise that MMA is exciting when they actually change their mindset.

Boxing on the otherhand really is doing itself no favours with so many weight divisions and belts its hard to tell who is who. Boxing still has a legion of fans who will pay to see big fights e.g. Oscar/Floyd but these fights happen once in a blue moon and other fighters either too scared to fight each other or some bull**** politics in between stops all the real exciting fights happening.

MMA because its relativly new were still finding new guys who are wiiling to fight each oher and the main point is that there is only a handful of champs and divisions so its easier to follow. But to answer the question boxing fans need to realise that MMA is here to stay and that both sports can work together.

6. younghypnotiq

younghypnotiq Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2007
    i understand the ground game because i wrestle but i still find it hella boring

7. ufoalf

ufoalf Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Than you dont understand submission wrestling/BJJ.

8. oblate

Sep 16, 2004
    yea. those people are missing out though. As a fan of both I have so many more fights to watch then being a fan of just one. Boxing especially can have pretty long periods without a good fight so its nice to have mma and vice versa.

9. oblate

Sep 16, 2004
    sumo is cool. I've watched it before.

10. theunderdog

theunderdog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2006

he's actually 16. saw it at the lounge because he was asking stuff about the size of his dick. stupid. and he claims to have watched all ufc and pride events and yet cannot appreciate gracie bjj. wow. that's something.

he even claims that the old fights are the best?? no way. punching directly to the groin area is just not the way to go.

11. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    He also claims to be a hardcore gangbanger who got into MMA cause he was fighting and "fucin' people up!" All at the tender age of 16 :lol: :rofl

12. theunderdog

theunderdog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2006
    he did?? man, i didn't see that! what thread was that in?

13. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The post your picture thread.

Check the last couple of pages.
    Its quite humorous.

14. USMCGixxer6

USMCGixxer6 Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    depends on what fight you get them to watch, if I tuned into an MMA fight for the 1st time and saw Diego vs Kos or basically any Tim Sylvia fight, id be like **** that boring ass ****. The same way if people tuned into Spinks vs Taylor as the 1st time they ever watched boxing.

People are going to watch it, or they arent.

15. oblate

Sep 16, 2004
    the groin punches were pretty cool though.