How do you beat Artur Beterbiev?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Aug 6, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    WTF? Canelo is totally irrelevant to this thread. He's too small for Beterbiev. He will never fight him unless he's old enough to be in a wheelchair.

Why is Canelo here in the thread?

Please guys just STFU about Canelo.

FastSmith7, eltirado, BCS8 and 3 others like this.
  2. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Beterbiev outclassed and stopped the best fighter in his prime in one of the original 8 weight classes. If that doesn't justify p4p ranking then nothing in this sport does.

The objective is to knockout the best fighter in the division. He's the man now.

3. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    :lol: Easy, take it easy.
    I was just looking to take a poke at hypocrisy.

eltirado likes this.
  4. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    1 win should not be enough to be granted a spot on P4P lists, unless the opponent beaten themselves are on said list.

eltirado, roughdiamond and Dance84 like this.
  5. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    He did exactly what you are supposed to do. The idea is to fight the man and separate him from consciousness or break his spirit or body so that you relieve him of his status as the man.

There is nothing more you can ask from a fighter.

eltirado and Dance84 like this.
  6. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    And it was still a singular win. Does that really qualify him for P4P status while others have done more(arguably)?
    I myself have criticized Beterbiev plenty, but I think he could easily climb the P4P rankings. Yet in 15 pro bouts, IMO he has not done enough.

7. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Agreed. P4P has lost its meaning though. In the old days the p4p guys would fight anyone, anyplace, anyweight, anytime. In recent decades it's mostly smoke and mirrors. Careful matchmaking, calculated "risks", payed off ref and judges etc. Compare what Canelo has done and how he's done it to how Duran did what he did. There's a world of difference between how the two went about their weight climbing and title grabbing escapades. Duran is one of the greatest fighters of all time for how he went about it, with no one questioning his legitimatacy. Clenelos career is filled with asterisks and question marks.

eltirado, BCS8, UniversalPart and 2 others like this.
  8. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I like how Beterbiev goes to the body whenever he rolls or gets low. That's one thing that IMO separates the good boxers from the others, they counter while they are still low. A lot of fighters can slip or roll under a punch but a lot of them straighten up before they counter. Beterbiev counters with the left to the liver or the right while he is in the position to be most effective. The left is usually palm up, but the forearm travels straight across sometimes to the liver, sometimes to the solar plexus. Beterbiev might get old or unmotivated, but until then he's going to be tough for anybody.

eltirado, roughdiamond, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  9. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Yeah, seems you need to just go for the KO. Probably the way to beat him is what Johnson did, nail him first, but make sure you finish the job (Johnson claims he froze, maybe someone else wouldn't). So in the end, perhaps the idea Kovalev could have beaten him wasn't so crazy, because Kov could well have nailed him first and was once a good finisher.

eltirado likes this.
  10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    You need a VERY strong LHW with a very good chin and body, very good stamina, and very good power.

Every LHW out there is lacking in one of these departments, so I feel Artur's hardest challenges might be up at CW.

11. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    As you say Lazar, pretty much do a GGG on him...CHEAT N Steal

eltirado and Lazar like this.
  12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    He doesn`t he just plods forwards with bad fundamentals, all it will take is for a P4P top light heavy who can move and set up his shots well and he`ll be outboxed, he`s very easy to hit, the problem is none of the fighters at 175 are in the top 10 P4P, it`s a bit thin on talent.

eltirado likes this.
  13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Usyk would have beat Beterbiev at cruiser just like he beat him in the amateurs.
    This content is protected

eltirado likes this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Beterbiev would miss a lot of shots v Ward, he`s never been in at that level.

eltirado and Richmondpete like this.
  15. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Damn beterbiev i don't know if fans are overrating beterbiev or underrating him

eltirado likes this.