How does AJ do in Bruno's title shots?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I should rephrase that, what do you think happens in those fights? Do you see AJ having any success at all against tyson and Lewis, much as Bruno did?

2. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    I should rephrase that, what do you think happens in those fights? Do you see AJ having any success at all against tyson and Lewis, much as Bruno did?

3. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Anthony Joshua has better punch variety than Frank Bruno had and is much faster, this isn't even a matter of
    opinion, i appreciate that you have tried to make an objective post but you need to get your facts right, you need
    to watch all of his fights and not only the fight against Wlad who is certainly better than Tim Witherspoon was
    even at 41 years old.

AJ brings more to the table against those guys than Frank Bruno did, he is bigger and stronger and he is superior
    to Frank Bruno in nearly every aspect.

Lennox Lewis was also still green in 1993 and he wasn't in his prime.

In my opinion AJ would beat Witherspoon, McCall and possibly 1993 Lennox Lewis, i can't see why not.

4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    He has more chance with McCall. I'm not saying McCall is better than Klitschko. He didn't have to be. He just has to be younger. Wlad was not an instinctive fighter. He was calculating. McCall can take out Joshua like he took out Lewis.

Fighters like McCall and Witherspoon can do nothing and still make the other guy work more. It's just the wrong kind of fighter for an 18 fight guy. And the can land when you don't expect it. A really fancy boxer can beat them but you really need as much experience as they have. It's not about talent.

I agree with the breakdown on Joshua v Tyson and Lewis that everyone here has written who think ajoshua loses.

5. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I have seen every single one of Joshua's fights and I have seen every single one of Frank Bruno's.

Have you seen every single one of Frank Bruno's fights?

With Joshua's fights so far he's fought what two guys who hit him back? One was Wlad Klitschko. Great fight. But he was 41 years old and he came within a kippers eyelash of knocking Anthony spark out. I am sorry but I see every single one of the guys on this list that beat Bruno creating the exact circumstances that decked Joshua and improving on it.

Like I say, Joshua learnt a careers worth in that fight. He ticked a lot of boxes to win it. So much to come from him. I am certain he will be so much better next time out. But we haven't seen that fight yet.

6. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I have seen every fight from Anthony Joshua, the most of them multiple times and i have seen the Frank Bruno
    fights against Smith, Witherspoon, Tyson, Lewis and McCall and i think this is enough.

Wladimir Klitschko was out of his prime but he wasn't shot at all, he was a late bloomer and he was at his best
    in his mid to late thirties, as i said a prime is individual, Wlad is still a good fighter and an all time great, he is
    certainly better than Witherspoon and McCall, i think both of them would have lost to a 41 year old Wlad Klitschko.

And you have to consider that Witherspoon and McCall didn't punch as hard as Wlad, only because Wlad dropped
    Anthony Joshua doesn't mean that they would have done it as well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    On the Lewis fight, as young and inexperienced as Aj is I think he hurt s him much as briggs did. Lewis that fought Bruno wasn't his best and frank was clanging Lewis s head a few times. I see a short action packed fight but Lewis finishing him off. Aj would come out losing but with respect.

Howitzer1888 likes this.
  8. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Are you really comparing Briggs to Anthony Joshua ?

I think some of the replies in this thread are ridiculous, are you guys blind ?

Anthony Joshua would have slaughtered any version of Briggs and he would have a close fight against 1993 Lewis
    which he would probably win, come on guys, you can't be that deluded.

9. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    We are getting carried away with AJ .Who has he fought apart from a 41year old vlad who got taken to school in his last fight yet went life and death with AJ.He may go on to be the greatest Heavyweight in history in the future but we cannot make a judgement yet .The Joshua of the vlad fight don't do well against the guys on the list maybe he could out point mcCall if Oliver was in a passive mood all the rest take him out .also Dillon white as good Tim Witherspoon???.what planet do you live on?

choklab likes this.
  10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    You are making a classic mistake here, but don't worry you will grow out of it.

You have just admitted that the only fights you have seen of a Frank Bruno are the ones he lost and the one he won against McCall. So you are measuring a long line of mismatches and blow outs against inferior guys, save for the one fight Joshua had at world level, as proof Joshua elevates this form against the scared and hapless into younger all time great fighters when the one remotely world level guy he fought (41 year old former champion) almost knocked Joshua spark out.

Like I say, it's quite common, but you will grow out of it.

Howitzer1888 likes this.
  11. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    No im not saying Joshua is anything like briggs or versa, I was trying to convey how a fight between Lewis and aj would probably turn out. With Josh hurting lennox and Lewis coming back. I can't think of a similar wild shoot out that Lewis was involved in.

Howitzer1888 likes this.
  12. Howitzer1888

Howitzer1888 Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Joshua seems to use his left power shots far less than his rights. I don't know about you guys but I don't see his left hook or left uppercut anywhere near as often as his right ones, or at least he only uses them when going for the finish. Is he a bit one-handed? Is this right or am I getting this wrong?

13. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Lmao, you know nothing about boxing and your post doesn't make any sense, remember i haven't made this thread, this thread is simply another poor try to discredit Anthony Joshua by comparing him to clearly inferior fighters like Bruno, Witherspoon and McCall.

What does grow out of it even mean ? The way you are writing i can see that you are an old man who is trying to
    talk up the eras from the past, this is boxing and not a science you imbecile, i have a pair of eyes and i can see that
    Bruno was not a better fighter than AJ, no matter what you are trying to tell me.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  14. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    I've picked up on that myself. When I first noticed I thought he may have have injured his other arm but it is noticeable.

Howitzer1888 likes this.
  15. Howitzer1888

Howitzer1888 Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2017
    At least it's not just me lol. This has been the case in most of his fights for me.