How does it affect Frazier's performance in FOTC and Manila if Ali is really nice to him?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jan 25, 2022.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    If Ali was uncharacteristically polite to Frazier throughout their rivalry (instead of taunting him), how does that affect Frazier's performances against Ali in their first and third meetings?

Without channeling his hatred of Ali into the performances of his life, does Frazier do as well?

sasto and Fergy like this.
  2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    It might have been quite different. People often seem to forget that Ali knocked Frazier around more than a little in the early rounds, and at several points you can actually see the latter with a very grave, fantastically determined look on his face. That fight was do or die for Joe, and it had a TON to do with his ultimate victory.

I think Ali might have stopped him before 7 if there hadn't been that factor. Anyone rewatching that fight with even a cursory interest could see that Joe took some no-joke shots.

sasto, Fergy, Flash24 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Muhammad Ali being nice to Joe Frazier is what is known in my profession is Passive Aggressive Behavior, pretending to behave in a nice courteous way only to do the worst, there are a lot of Mentally Disturbed with this behavior, even some people in the communities with this type of behavior. Joe Frazier was one of the few opponents that was unaffected by the behavior of others, before The Fight Of The Century he was oblivious to the antics of challenger Muhammad Ali in months leading up to their epic match. Joe would have saw thru this phoniness in a heartbeat. On the other hand I believe that it hurt Frazier inside but he had the pride not to display it.

sasto likes this.
  4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I wasn't talking about Ali creepily fawning on Joe. More like the unusual politeness, respect, and cheerfulness exhibited by people like Old Foreman, occasionally Patterson, etc.

Ali and Frazier were apparently reasonably friendly during Ali's exile. Frazier helping Ali with his license, etc. So that's more along the lines of what I'm talking about.

5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I was not talking about Muhammad Ali creeping on Joe Frazier either, it just struck me that there are professionals and everyday people who are Passive Aggressive, it does not always have to refer to intimacy, everyday people are somewhat like that, not all. If it was genuine on Ali's part, maybe Joe Frazier may have seen this as a weakness, on the other hand both fighters may have developed a mutual respect towards one another.

sasto and cross_trainer like this.
  6. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Joe was hungry at the time. Lineal championship was the ultimate crown jewel of his career.

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    YUP!

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Good question - while Frazier was a warrior through and through, and loved battle, Ali’s treatment of him pushed that drive from a 7 or 8 to an 11 come fight night - and I think it only intensified in the four year span of their rivalry, worse in 1975 than 1971. Joe would never quit, but without that fire driving him, maybe he does suffer a stoppage by Manila - a lot of mileage in his career by then, that was his last hurrah and Ali maybe had a bit more at that point

9. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    So true, Joe Frazier worked hard to get that title, going thru Buster Mathis and then Jimmy Ellis. Then defending his lineal title against challenger Muhammad Ali, who had been stripped of his title and boxing license back in 1967 for refusing to serve in the U.S. Army.

10. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Frazier would have turned in the same performance if he was fighting his Mother.

ETM and cross_trainer like this.
  11. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Frazier gets all googly eyed, falls in love with Ali, brings flowers into the ring & it becomes The Marriage of the Century.

12. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Both would laugh and hug a lot more in the fight, put their tongue out at each other at the end. Maybe go to each other corners and have a natter with the others team.
    But on the whole... No different.

13. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    No dice. Joe goes at 100% whether Alis good, bad or indifferent to him. He knew no other way to fight

14. bboyrei

bboyrei Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Remember Ali still just recently came back from exile and he came in underestimating Frazier, while noticeably gassing out towards the end of the fight. He definitely has a chance to do better but Frazier always came in hungry no matter who his opponent was.

15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I think it would be the same. The rubber match would be the one that happens differently (if at all).

ETM and cross_trainer like this.