How good was Alan Minter?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Jan 2, 2016.

1. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    lol Minter has 2 notable wins in his entire career both vs Vito Antuofermo and 1 of them was a gift decision. Either you know nothing about boxing or you're trolling which one is it?

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Minter beat Antuofermo the first time and stopped him the 2nd he also had decent wins over Licata,Seales,Tonna, and Finnegan.Not a great fighter but not a cheese champ either!

3. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    The first fight was a gift decision no one thinks Minter legitimately won that fight go watch it it's on YouTube. Seales, Tonna and Finnegan are certified bums. Licata is maybe a notch above bum. None are good wins for a guy who was a champion. Eubank and Benn obviously have infinitely better resumes no one thinks otherwise the guy is trolling. Minter is arguably the worst lineal MW champ ever

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've seen it several times ,I don't agree with you and I don't use the term B*M about any man brave enough to enter a ring and hold up his hands.

Clinton and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Eubank beat no one at middleweight apart from Benn, and a disputed decision over Watson.
    Benn and Watson were not true top-flight middleweights at the time.
    I followed boxing at the time.
    Eubank, Benn and Watson were in the lower half of the world's top 10.

Even if you include Eubank's 168 reign, his resume is still weak.
    The "WBO title" was a joke.

6. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The first Antuofermo fight was close the main controversy was that the British judge gave Minter practically every round.
    It could have gone either way personally I thought Minter edged it. There was no controversy the second time round though Minter demolished him, busted him up big time. Considering how highly regarded Antuofermo now seems to be on here Minter doesn't get the credit he deserves for that performance, it's as though the Vito lovers have swept it under the carpet.
    Well if Minter is arguably the worst linear champion ever then where do you put Antuofermo?

mcvey likes this.
  7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Carlos Padilla the referee of their first fight was extremely lenient with Vito about his headwork. I thought Roland Dakin, the English judge leaned too far towards Minter .

Cecil likes this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I agree, Dakin's scorecard was ridiculous. Only saw the fight when it happened and my recollection was that Minter edged it after 15 gruelling rounds.

mcvey likes this.