How important is showboating?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by RedDragonBoxing, Apr 15, 2009.

1. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    hes the only dutch guy i know whos box they ever even had a world champ

2. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I lived in Dam Noord,i would get the 5 min shuttle ferry to the back of train station ja ? From there if you were to look out the doors of the station, the gym from what i remember was N E , going on you are looking down the Damstraat.

I remember it was the weekend and i cycled through big markets, not the Leidersplein or behind it ( scuse the spelling ) markets.......

Anyways, it was 6 years ago and the boy was of Turkish or Moroccan descendancy from what the pics and cutouts on the wall showed, i remember checking walls and dates and thinking " am in ! ! !"

I wasnt.......

3. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007

Holland had a great fighter a few years ago, i forgot his name, was in the Super M's or Light H's.........Joval ?

Not a god but a damn good enough fighter

4. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    oh will look aorund for him

5. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    It was probably VBSK Albert Cuyp, in the Albert Cuypstraat. Raymond Joval trained there I think. Joval is a very cool guy btw, I spoke to him in the dressing room during warming up before my fight.

6. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007

Yeah Cuypstraat rings a big bell, he wasnt there, not that day. As i know how he looked etc

As i says, i asked to train or where do i train and pay, they just ignored me basically

7. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    He's hard not to recognize. My trainer kept making fun of his hair. At one point he told me to put the head gear in the bag and close it because people might steal it, he ended with "especially when there's black people around" and said it harder so Joval could hear it. Joval then jokingly stole my head gear :)

This content is protected

8. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007
    Hence why i says, " i know how he looked" he was always different. I presume ya coach knew him well ( he did ) regarding the "black ppl around" Im sure you know better than i how the racism etc is in Holland, be it black white orange etc

9. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I think racism here barely exists, but many people here call criticizing Islam racist so I'm sure they would disagree. But yeah my trainer knew him well, he's been around for at least 30 years so he's a very well known character in the Dutch boxing scene.

10. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007
    Racism certainly exists in Holland

Personally they can suck ma quacker ! ! !

Sweet with ya coach, ol timer :good

11. Mr. V.I.P.

Mr. V.I.P. Boxing Addict banned

Sep 20, 2008
    I do it sometimes in sparring but never for a fight. **** like leaving your chin out and then leaning back and landing the left hook. Dropping both hands. Winding up the right and throwing a jab. Looking down at the floor to the side.

12. The Predator

The Predator Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Well, showboating is fun and can be used in many ways with good results, you just have to be good at it otherwise it will make you look silly. However I´ve seen some amateurs do it but mostly the pro´s.
    I wish amateur boxing did more of these spectacular things cause like it is right now, no one hardly seem to want to come and watch amateur boxing ( apart from mom and dad and some old relative)
    I can give an example.
    During one week we had two different fight nights in town
    amateur boxing had 50 people in the crowd
    Kick boxing had 1000 people in the crowd.
    I think amateur boxing lost on knockout in the 1 round