How many hours a day do pro boxers train?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Big N Bad, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Big N Bad

Big N Bad Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2007
    or how many times a day?
    i believe majority of the boxers trin twice a day?

2. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    thats full time job, getting up early (7,8) to eat breakfast and to do road work, strength and conditioning. sleep a bit, lunch, rest or do what they do and then its time for boxing training.. going home, dinner, do what they do and then sleeping about 22,23... i think they spend 8h a day training.. i dont know if i am right about this, but i think its logical to do it this way.. there are some pros on forum, maybe they can say what they do.

3. Big N Bad

Nov 29, 2007
    8 hours of training? thats impossible, the boxer would be dead before the fight

4. captain hook

Dec 11, 2011
    week or two before fight they dont train so intense, just massage, relaxation, and easy trainings to keep their condition..

ok maybe this 8 hours is bull**** but, you dont have to train all the time 100%. maybe 1 of 4 hours in gym is talking with trainer or watching your opponents fights..

5. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006

You've got some imagination pal. I think full time pro's would have other engagements. Twice a day max 2 hours a time would be sensible and thats pushing it.

6. widdy

widdy lancs,where real men live Full Member

Aug 19, 2008
    most boxers usually have a job as well,so maybe roadwork in morning go to work,go gym straight after work do a few hours and start again the next day:bbb

what he said above,beat me too it,was in the kitchen making chilli ;)

7. Big N Bad

Nov 29, 2007
    what you say on this topic means alot as your are a pro.
    I've seen clips of your fights and you are very skillful boxer and versatile.

8. captain hook

Dec 11, 2011
    maaan :) being pro boxer is really good job then..if you can make for living without doing another job

bnb sorry for my bs then :oops:

9. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks dude kind words. :good

10. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    No probs mate... listen there might be guys who do it all day but I don't think it would be productive training too hard or often.... remember rest is as important as the training itself. If you don't rest you don't recover. If you don't recover your not improving. :good

11. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    :good

12. billy boy balbo

billy boy balbo New Member Full Member

Jan 24, 2010
    hope you washed you're hands after chopping chillies,forgot to wash mines the other day then went for a pish,my dick was on fire for hours:lol:

13. widdy

Aug 19, 2008
    :lol: stuck mine up my nose,stings like a ****er,also,rubbing your eyes is a big no no:nut

14. widdy

Aug 19, 2008
    think the thread could be brought into amateurs training as well as a lot of amateurs train with pros,i know i used too in the 80's/90s.

my training was work all day(plasterer) go to gym mon/wed/friday run on tues/thurs. friday night after training and sat and sunday was spent in pub and eating kebabs
    when monday came i was always 6pounds more than friday, was a ****er if i fought on monday or tuesday,me trainer (he was the matchmaker as well)used to go mad and chuck me in with lads who were lighter but with loads more fights than me,on my 8th fight he put me in with a 90 fight boxer who boxed for england as well:yikes
    great fight though,the other lad wouldent talk to me after,he was gutted he dident stop me,and he was marked to **** as well:lol:

so a kinda lesson can be learnt here to the young lads,don't eat kebabs and drink beer when u want to be a boxer:hey

15. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    At the higher levels you need to finetune more than anything, training for hours and hours each day would mean that the training is low intensity and largely pointless. High quality training and high quality rest is what's needed.
    There comes a point when training hard and long comes second place to training smart if you want to get the best out of yourself.