How many push-ups can you do?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Decebal, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Mikro

Mikro New Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2007
    A new friend indeed. I'm very glad I came across this post and learned the true measure of fitness. Tonight I plan to skip my boxing training and focus on what really counts... pushup endurance.

2. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think you are exaggerating now. This thread, although posted in the training/amateour boxing section is more likely to appeal to non-boxers like myself. If you are a boxer, I would have thought you would not have taken it that seriously...Let's leave it at that, shall we. I take on board the obvious point that there are different kinds of fitness.

3. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Decebal, I think you're a good poster and all, so don't get my previous posts wrong. I just think what you were saying is a bit odd. Like you said, there are many kinds of fitness. My coach was in the Army for years and can bang out push ups and pull ups like crazy, one handed push ups, all that. But he's dead tired after sparring with Amy. Obviously, he's not fit, but it doesn't stop him from being able to push like crazy.

4. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    You are right. My naive posts on this manner have proven my lack of expertise. Now that I have heard from some people who know what they're talking about, I have changed my mind. Thank you.

So, would I be right in thinking that if you practice push-ups regularly (daily?) and that is how you principally measure your fitness, you should be pretty fit if you can do 100? i.e. could a strong but not so fit body-builder do 100?:think

5. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    so kolya have you finally put on some weight?

6. Kolya

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm still below 165.

Have you finally put on some skill? :D

7. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    put on some skill? i am the most naturally talented guy in my gym.

8. Kolya

Jul 21, 2004
    That doesn't bode well for your gym. :D

I'm joking, btw. No, I haven't been able to lift much now because I leave for a major tournament in a week and a half and I'm not going to mess with anything, I'm just focusing on boxing and sparring right now, I'll be lifting again to try and add weight after I get back from this tournament.

9. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I've done 100 but like chin ups I regret not training for it and seeing my absolute max.

10. Mikro

Mikro New Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Didn't mean to be a d***, I was just joking. Anyway, don't let us hecklers discourage you as this was an interesting thread. As for your question... my wrist is injured now so i didnt try maxing but I would assume somewhere between 75-100. I usually do pushups in 4 sets of 50 mixed with other things

11. Pugsley

Pugsley Fat Bastard Full Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Well, push ups and pull ups are all an assertion of your strength to weight ratio. You walk around everyday and dont think much about your legs actually lifting your own weight. Go to space for a month and come back to gravity, the atrophy will be prominent enough to change your perception. Not that I've been there.