How popular is Boxing in the UK?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by JC Boxing, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I think if Ronnie is in the world final this year then that will do good numbers. He probably doubles the viewing figures I would say.

On darts, it doesn't help that the BDO is on TV about a week after the PDC World Championship. It's such a comedown, it's like watching a Sunday Pub League match after watching the Champions League Final.

2. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    None of my close friends have any interest in boxing outside of what they see on Sky Sports News.

Footballs massive because theres money in it for everyone, but if you look at it it relies on tribal following rather than it being exciting as the product itself is shite.

mark ant and 305th like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Boxing is a top 6-10 sport in the uk

4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Why would you say that? Are you from Northern Ireland or Scotland? Sounds too specific, I could be wrong.

5. CathyBarry

CathyBarry Active Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2016
    No I'm English. I don't think there's much in it but I just think for the population England has that boxing would be more popular. I know boxing is big in Northern Ireland and quite big in Scotland so that was my thinking lol.

6. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Football
    Rugby
    Cricket

Probably the top 3

Then

7. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Not articularly popular just seems that way to us fans.

Hockey is apparently pretty big in the UK but I didn't ever see it on the telly, cycling is much more popular a a participation sport but again not much news coverage.

Football followed by rugby and then cricket are the big 3 boxing is probably top 10 somewhere.

8. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Like others said events driven.

Bbc sports personality doesn't represent anything pretty much . We all know bbc is run by pedos and homos. Hardly representative of the uk

9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    You don`t think there`s a huge number of pedos and homosexuals in Britain?

10. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Overall no, there aren't a lot of boxing fans who follow the sport regularly. However when there is a big boxing event you get the feeling that the whole country really does get behind it.

11. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    People go mad for Joshua, but that's about it, in terms of the general public. A couple of years ago, in my last job, I was asked who my favourite current sportsman was, I said Lee and Andrew Selby were my favourite boxers, only two blokes had even heard of them. That was, then, current World Champion, Lee Selby, and his brother, Andrew, who was looking set to become a superstar.

305th likes this.
  12. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    I mean some world title fights get less than 5k in the building. That Charlie Edwards card was the smaller event matchroom put on that day. There was 14k+ at the O2 for their gymnastics show.

It's nowhere near one of the biggest sports in the country outside of Joshua events which are pretty much the same size as a big premier league or six nations rugby. And way below a England world cup game etc etc.

Americans try and say "we have more sports than you" but Boxing is easily below Football, Rugby, Cricket and F1. Eddie says the Darts does better numbers on sky so its clearly below that. Obviously PPV means its more of a money spinner.

305th likes this.
  13. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    It's niche these days
    Pay per view has played its part, let's not pretend it hasnt
    Sports that are easy to access have a better chance of becoming popular
    Pay per view is a barrier to the bigger names and fights
    Newcomers will only latch on to these kind of events and if they become hooked dig deeper to find out more about Boxing.
    Either way its healthy and obviously makes money
    It's behind football and rugby I'd say and mingles around with sports like darts and snooker somewhere

Hopefully ITV getting back in the game will give the sport some free to view events prime time that can conjure up some nation wide intrest once again
    I have my doubts but I live in hope

The BBC awards that have been mentioned imo don't mean Jack
    Agenda driven nonsense

Holler and 305th like this.
  14. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    This. 90% of the general public haven't got a clue who any boxer outside Joshua, Fury and Mike Tyson are.

mark ant and SambaKing1993 like this.
  15. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I have been to an AJ fight where Selby was on the undecard and people there hasn't a clue who he was! No word of lie

mark ant likes this.