How will the long layoff after a devastating loss affect Wilder?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Perkin Warbeck, Feb 6, 2021.

1. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I am very physically burn you Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Makhmudov is slow, stiff, undersized, packs no power, and doesn't have Tourettes. Wilder would splatter him easily. He should definitely, definitely go for that fight.

UniversalPart and kostya by ko like this.
  2. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    I've been a bit underwhelmed by Hulk-Kovalev since he turned pro. Awesome amateur, but looks like he left it a bit late like a lot of others. Haven't seen Fedosov fight in a while but he's a solid, if unspectacular, pro. Probably not someone to pull an upset on Wilder, though you never know.

If Wilder wants to pick on an EE prospect I want him to fight Arslanbek. Would be hilarious if the Twitch-Hitter splatters him in the first few rounds, which is a very real possibility.

UnleashtheFURY and UniversalPart like this.
  3. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Asking Wilder to stop being delusional and accept defeat is like asking the Pope to become Buddhist. I think Wilder is mentally broken and is likely easy pickings for a number of fighters he might have been favoured over in the past. So much of Wilder's game was based on confidence and the belief that no matter how bad things got in the ring he could always turn things around with one good punch. Now that he has to come to grips with the fact that this isn't always going to be the case (even if that knowledge is still at the subliminal level) it'll sow the seeds of doubt in his mind and leach down into all facets of his game.

Maybe I'm overthinking that though, and Wilder comes back the same limited but dangerous fighter as ever. I'd actually prefer that TBH, since it adds another layer of interest to the division.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  4. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    The Russian speakers do seem abit obsessed with amateur glory and Olympic gold medals. Maybe its a cultural thing with these guys.

Wladimir Klitschko still wants to go back and claim Olympic gold again. Beterbiev also wants to re-attempt the Olympics again too.

It does seem abit obsessive whereas the true world glory, in my eyes, is actually in the professional ranks.

It's Ovah likes this.
  5. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Yeah, it does seem to be a difference in prestige there. There also seems to be a difference in money earning potential depending on the country you represent. Roberto Camarrelle could have been an awesome pro but never left the amateurs because he was so well looked after and held such respect as a multi medal winner. From his perspective it was probably the correct decision to make. An Italian going pro would have probably had to sign with one of the big German promotors and ended up fighting bums for years to pad his record until it came time to negotiate a title shot, by which point he might well have lost his sharpness or love of the game as I've seen happen with a lot of talented amateurs like Solis.

Still, as a fan it's a shame to think of all the potential we've missed out on in the ranks who've either left it too late or never felt the need to go pro in the first place. Mihai Nistor is now old, bloated and lacking fire, but in his prime a few years back he was an absolute killer. Probably the closest I've seen to an effective Tyson/Marciano type fighter in the last few decades.

Badbot and UniversalPart like this.
  6. Surrix

Surrix Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Yeah. Support level for national team members depends on the country you represent. Social value too: in some countries society value Olympic medals higher, in some countries not much highly.

UniversalPart likes this.
  7. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    We're now into April, and still no fight scheduled for Wilder.

Is he retired?

8. tee_birch

tee_birch Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    He isn’t waiting for Fury. He waited for Clause to elapse then ran his mouth. He got beat by the better man no harm in that. Fight a few cans and get the confidence up and have another go at a belt

Perkin Warbeck likes this.