How would Ali beat Vlad?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Ali was too smart to dance for 15 rds. He didn't move more than he had to. But Chuvalo didn't corner him. Ali went to the ropes on his volition in the early rounds to try to get Chuvalo to punch himself out. When he saw that it wouldn't work he started move again and didn't spend any more time on the ropes.

It is true that he was vulnerable to a left hook counter, though.

For my money, I think Vlad would be too big for Ali, considering the other qualities he brings to the table with his size. Probably not very unlike the Haye fight.

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    He'd make them look like plodding Mummy's in comparison, Lewis or Wlad wouldn't be able to plant their feet, even if they did catch him they wouldn't have their full power. Both Wlad and Lewis were light years behind Ali at fighting down the stretch, the further it goes on the sloppier they'd get.

3. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    or his opposition has been sub failed retiree corrie sanders.

4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I always wait in anticipation for HerolGee's excellent technical breakdown and ana lysis. This fellow has a superb mind, really top-shelf, and he always delivers insightful commentary. Almost like a Sherlock Holmes of boxing! I was truly blessed to have had the opportunity to read that piece de resistance.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    A fair position.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Your assessment of the Chuvalo fight is correct.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Ali has far more speed, far better stamina, a far better chin, matches him in reach and might match him in strength .. I see Ali being way too fast and hard to hit for Wlad .. that being said Wlad has developed into a very difficult guy to fight and I'm not saying it would be easy but especially over 15 I see Ali outpoint him and likely cutting him up along the way ..

8. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Keep Wlad off him? Wlad is not that type of fighter.
    Ali has the power to hurt Wlad, no doubt. He has stopped tougher opponents than Wald.

Wlad hates getting hit and historically if Wlad is outlanded he capitulates quickly.
    I won't bring up his losses for now but while he's a great 'on top' fighter he loses by stoppage/KO when things don't go his way.
    I'm not being simplistic either.

With Tyson you often hear "if someone stands up to him..." but Wlad is the same, but much worse.

I can only assume Ali is not going to be a big,stationary target like many Klit opponents have been.
    I am going to assume he will not allow Klitschko to do what he wants in there.

The size issue is overblown and especially in this matchup. Both are by nature out fighters so Wlad's superior bulk will not be of much use.
    He has 3" on Ali and a couple of inches in reach. Ali has a marked speed advantage and can counterpunch, something Wlad almost never does.
    If Ali punches he won't have to worry about getting countered. Wlad does.

Unless Ali has some innate stylistic weakness against Wlad, I see him winning by stoppage.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    You may be right and I concur with some of the things you say fist. But frankly I think being on the outside and trying to box Wlad is the worst place Ali could be. He'd be outreached and facing a man who's jab was at least as good if not superior to his own, plus has the sting behind it to do some damage. And I can't see Muhammad impressing the judges by avoiding him all night long. As for hurting him? Yeah Wlad's chin can be dented.. but you know as well as anyone that it took a hard puncher to make it happen and one that had the right opportunities to land on him directly and up close.. And if we're honest those opportunities have been few and far apart in recent years with Wlad being more defensive and staying out of harm's way.. I can't see Ali's jabs or right crosses doing much to Klitscko especially given that Muhammad would have to overextend in an effort to land any of them, taking away some of the sting off of those shots. I don't know.. Maybe Ali could overwhelm Klit with shear volume by throwing so many shots that the judges have no choice but to award him the nod as they did for Calzaghe against Hopkins. But frankly I think this is a very, very hard proposition for even the Greatest.

10. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015
    Wrong again...Ali only has 16 wins against guys who outweighed him..the rest he outweighed.And we are talking primes anyway,he almost always outweighed his opponents,the size excuse is nonsense b/c Ali had that more than Wlad did in comparison to who he fought.the differanc eis Wlad is far more elite at 240 plus pounds who is fast and athletic,Ali was slow as hell over 220 and sluggish.:smooch

P.s boxing doesn't have height classes they have WEIGHT classes.Though add his height of 6'3 and hes also a giant in the 60's.

11. uncletermite

Aug 2, 2015
    "Wladimir Klitchkos are faster than Tysons" Tommy Brooks...he trained with both!

Tyson was faster than ali..he could throw 5 POWER punches in 1.2 seconds

Ali was able to throw LIGHT punches of 11 in three seconds

Tyson on film thru 7 punches in under two seconds

Wlads one two jab/straight right or jab/left hook are blindingly fast combine with his height and reach would spell doom for Ali!

No fan made clips of Ali can alter reality!and again anyone who looks at Wlads speed bag work or his training prior to the Jennings fight will have nothing to say after.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You make statements that no one else agrees with .

eg Wlad has faster hands than Ali. 80% of Ali's opponents were smaller ,when everyone knows that is absolute *******s.

13. uncletermite

Aug 2, 2015
    you cannot dispute facts McLIAR.:lol:

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Here is your statement.

",he also outsized his opponents 80% of the time"
    17 of Ali's opponents were heavier than himself .
    14 were of equal height or taller.

15. uncletermite

Aug 2, 2015
    16/17 opponets he defeated did outsize him its a FACT the rest he outsized..oh and Mcliar just go check Wlads fight with Austin where he throws 5 POWER left hooks in under 2 seconds.:lol: