How would Ali beat Vlad?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Aug 13, 2015.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUzl0aFHZw

2. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015
    Agreed your link shows how Ali beats a handicapped out of prime fighter once again,and by modern standards wopuldnt be able to pass a physical to fight since Cleveland Williams is only said to have 60% of his mobility here due to neurologic damage and leg atrophy disease...Ali show boating with an out of prime fighter as well proves nothing but how easily one could imagine Wlad thumping him with the ramrod jab and crushing him with the left hook,total mismatch.:thumbsup

3. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Methinks unletermite has been visiting heavyweightblog too much.

4. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
    Magoo

The thing is for me that let's say Ali is having a hard time of it vs. Wlad.
    You can't write him off because he has proven time and again that he can come back from adversity and win.

The only time Wlad has faced any kind of diversity and actually won was against Sam Peter, where he won about 8 or 9 of the 12 rounds anyway.
    There is historical precedent for Wlad failing the test-repeatedly-when asked to suck it up and overcome.
    He is very black/white in that way. He either wins going away or loses badly.

I am fully aware that Ali had his struggles and sometimes frankly he looked like ****. I am under no illusion that Wlad will give him some problems.
    But at the same time, I cannot even imagine Wlad just jabbing & grabbing Ali at will.
    Ali is surely, surely going to be asking him some uncomfortable questions in there. Again historically Wlad doesn't deal well with that.
    I know he has dominated for ages now but I don't believe his challengers have been taking him places that make him feel uncomfortable. When was the last time he even had a losing round?

All credit to him for his dominance but at 39 to be this dominant tells me the division is lacking genuine competition.

I agree that being on the outside vs. Wlad is generally a bad idea. This is because he is either out-ranging his opponent, faster than him or both.
    Against Ali he is at a speed disadvantage, I don't think anyone who isn't horribly biased can dispute that.
    What was said above is very true-getting off first and beating Wlad to the punch is probably the best way to beat him. Also he would only need to take a small half-step inside (or alternatively make Wlad overextend himself) to be in range. We're talking an inch or two in arm length difference...not much of an advanrage really.

That is exactly why Sanders ( who was 38 at the time) managed to beat Wlad. He got off first and shot straight punches at Wlad. He in fact was similarly-sized to Ali and in that fight fought similarly to Ali too. Yes he was a southpaw and it's said that Wlad is a better fighter now, but for me the real reason Sanders beat Wlad and maybe always would was because he was quickhanded and got off first.
    His power only came into play once he was able to tag Wlad fairly regularly. More regularly than Wlad was able to tag him, at any rate.
    Talking of power, yes I think Ali can stop Wlad, no problem. I don't think he could do it as quickly or as dramatically as Sanders, but still do it? Why not?

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It shows his hand speed , which is what I wanted it to do . Your example shows a man up against the ropes, already half out of it.Williams did not have neurological damage or only 60% of his mobility.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Good post:good

7. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
  8. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
    We haven't even gone into the pre-fight trash and smack talking. Poor Wlad.

9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Great post.

10. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    The more this thread goes on, the more I think the kliturds are referring to parkinsons 50something ali. its the only way there arguments make sense.

11. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Its been mentioned in this thread that Wlad in handspeed was equal to Ali:nut

Thats like saying Froch was equal to Roy Jones in hand speed.

12. uncletermite

Aug 2, 2015
    Again mc LIAR anyone can look up how bad Williams actually was,i thought you were showing that fight to show how weak alis opponents actually were throughout the 60's my bad.:lol:

Ironically the Williams fight is almost always shown to see how GREAT Ali was,if Wlad fought a ten year past prime handicapper he would be crucified! ::nod

13. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I wouldn't shed too many tears for a man packing an ATG left hook against Ali, who is vulnerable to the punch.

I'm in the minority, but I do think he hits hard enough and precise enough with it to one-shot Ali and take Muhammad's legendary chin and recuperation out of the equation entirely. Especially if the version of Ali people put up against him is the lighter one- there's a tradeoff between weight, speed, and punch resistance. If you want the speed of the 205 lb Ali, that doesn't come with the punch resistance of the 225 lb version.

14. uncletermite

Aug 2, 2015
    fists of fury,Sanders hits three time as hard easily than Ali,he was also a southpaw that's about the only reason why he won ,nothing more,you also are using pre steward Wlad..with Steward Wlad is alis worst nightmare.

15. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Single shots there's not much in it I bet.