I am shocked that people saw the fight close or had cotto winning.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by strongarm, Nov 22, 2015.

1. strongarm

strongarm Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I was at the movie theater by myself, had turned off my phone and had no way of knowing how people viewed the fight. Upon coming out and seeing comments online, I was genuinely shocked that people viewed it as a close fight.

Canelo outlanded him, but lets say that they landed indentical number of punches, Canelo definitely landed the superior punches. The power difference was massive, enough to negate Cottos connections.

Even on rounds that Cotto outlanded Canelo, I would take one of Canelo's over 3 of Cotto's weak shots.

With all of that being said, please make a case on why you chose cotto as winner. I will keep it in mind for when I get to watch the fight again.

Trash me all you want, but I have an open mind and just being sincere.

2. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    People who watched the HBO stream thought Canelo won and people who watched the British stream thought Cotto won. My guess is it was the commentary. HBO has a way of hyping up their favorite fighter and giving them credit for punches that never land and things they don't even do. British commentators are the worst at this, but only if there is a British fighter involved. They really didn't seem to give a **** about Cotto or Canelo, almost to the point of not knowing who they were. It was like watching a fight with the volume off.

Anyway, Gannicus broke things down pretty well in his thread about why he thought Cotto won or it should have been a draw. Go check that thread out.

Dan Rafael ESPN's boxing guy had it 115-113 for Canelo.
    Live coverage on Sherdog had it a draw.
    Bleacher Report had it 115-113 for Cotto.
    Bad Left Hook had it a draw.
    The Guardian has the fight 115-113 for Canelo too.
    USA Today scored it 115-113 for Canelo.
    Boxingjunkie.com has it 115-113 too.
    Sports Illustrated 115-113 Canelo.
    The scene has it 115-113 for Canelo.
    Las Vegas Review Journal has it 115-113 for Canelo.
    Juan Manuel Marquez called it a draw.

3. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    You'd have to score with your heart and not your eyes to even think that fight could be close.

If there's an article floating around there from a reputable journalist that makes a case for the fight being a lot closer, I'd sure would like to read it.
    I doubt seriously any boxing journalist worth his salt would make a case for Cotto having beaten Canelo.

4. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Another big factor would probably be the compubox stats. HBO mentions them all the time in a broadcast but the British guys don't have compubox at all. When I watched the fight it looked like Cotto was outlanding Canelo, but when I looked them up it says that Canelo outlanded Cotto. I'm really starting to distrust compubox.

5. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Dan Rafael ESPN's boxing guy had it 115-113 for Canelo. Not anything like the 117-111, 119-109, 118-110 the judges had it. And for the record, I was rooting for Canelo.

6. divac

Jul 24, 2004
    I saw the British broadcast, they saw it for Canelo, only they thought the official scores were to wide.

I thought the British broadcast harped to much on Freddie Roach being the trainer and the things that he said Cotto should do, that they turned a blind eye on the good things Canelo was doing in there.
    For instance, the British team barely made a mention of Cotto missing with most of his combination attempts because of Canelo's swiveling waist movements, but harped bigtime on the fact that Cotto would Cotto would lateral to the sides because that's what was in Roach's gameplan.
    They overcredited Cotto's punch and judy routine to the point there were oblivious to the fact that Canelo was outlanding him period.
    The British team admitted that Canelo's connects were much more effective, but they failed to acknowleadge that Canelo outlanded Cotto .
    Even so, the British team did not make a case for Cotto winning, each and everyone of them had Canelo ahead.

7. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah, the Guardian has the fight for 115-113 for Canelo too.

8. divac

Jul 24, 2004
    Would love to hear or read the basis to which he came up with that score. No way was the fight that close.
    The judge who scored 117-111 I felt was being charitable to Cotto.
    Anyone having it closer than that just wanted to see it that way and judged with there heart rather than with what actually was happening.

9. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Live coverage on Sherdog had it a draw. Bleacher Report had it 115-113 for Cotto. Bad Left Hook had it a draw.

10. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Seems like 95% of folks think Canelo won.

With a big, super hyped match up like this involving an ethnic-based rivalry as its marketing tool, you will always get a large contingency claiming robbery, BS stoppage, or something along those lines no matter how the fight plays out.

So when the fight is competitive, naturally there will be some emos out there.

11. Hitmanstyle

Hitmanstyle Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2013
    I watched the fight with the sound off. I scored it a draw. Miguel Cotto got told to retire by the judges. Simple as that.

12. Ramon Dekkers

Ramon Dekkers New Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Agree.

Unlike Lara, Cotto failed to establish a jab, Canelo landed some body shots that clearly hurt him.

The fight wasn’t competitive.

13. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    That it's a close fight it's not a problem for me, I gave 3 rounds to Cotto but I thought maybe I could have given him some more but the fact that so many people scored it for Cotto shocks me.

14. strongarm

Dec 5, 2008

Good post

15. strongarm

Dec 5, 2008
    This is the stuff that I find baffling. I will rewatch though. Lets see what I miss