I now appreciate Povetkin more

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, May 1, 2021.

1. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Perhaps you’re seeing something that I’m not. No doubt he’s tweaking his game ever so slightly, but let’s not ignore the wrinkles in his game that are now absent.

I like Joshua, and he’s obviously one of the top 2 heavies, but I reckon the Joshua of a few years ago bulldozes this version.

2. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I liked the 90's era, but at the same time there are some seriously rose tinted glasses.

Bowe was one of the most protected champs ever. He rose to top contender by mainly picking off has beens (and nearly stumbled even against one of them) and he choose to defend against a washed up Dokes instead of Lewis.

Tyson also stayed away from Lewis after prison and choose Seldon instead and then a Holy that was thought shot to bits at the time. After that he did nothing during the 90's.

Foreman was absolutely shameless with his ducking of live opponents after winning the title. One of the least inspiring lineal reigns ever.

These are thing that would fans go ape **** over the internet today, but they rarely pop up in the story about the 90's.

Holy and Lewis generally made the right fights, though, even though they faced off against each other too late, and Lewis did drop a belt for not facing Byrd.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    And retired not to gave looks that earlier promised in media rematch to Vitali.
    Western pupps even are continuing to dream that their belts and undisputed titles matters any thing for casual ukrainian, they usually does not knows that Lewis was a boxer.

4. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I strongly disagree. IMO the current AJ is the most complete version of him we've ever seen. He still has his devastating pre Ruiz 1 combinations, but also has the speed, fluidity and stamina from Ruiz 2.

5. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    My argument was simplified for a poster making simple comments. However yes I agree with your statements. My main point is that the top fighters aren't fighting on a regular basis. The belts changed hands in the 90s and early 00s on a more consistent basis because they were fighting more often. Fury has been the lineal champ since 2015, but only faced 1 top ten guy in Wilder. It's a pretty sad era.

Dance84 and Bokaj like this.
  6. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, I'd say that the 90's were better from that perspective. And during the late 90's you had some great fights between contenders a bit like it was in the 70's, and Lewis and Holy faced just about everyone.

Foreman 90's career was padded in a way that's been unsurpassed since then, though. And Bowe's wasn't far behind.

TipNom and HellSpawn86 like this.
  7. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I actually also give AJ a lot of credit. His resume is pretty good in that he's faced many of the names in the division. I actually have a gauge of how good he is vs Wilder or Fury. He was looking like the legit top man to beat until his loss to Ruiz. However it's a bit sad how politics have slowed down negotiations for the top fights we want to see him in.

8. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, I think he should get more credit for looking to face the best.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    yeh povetkin has been a top 5 hw for about 15years lol

his technique and form has been a joy to watch at times. has some lovely KO's on his record.
    just a bit small to be the man.

Aint no stoppin likes this.
  10. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    If you go down that route you end up with supermen by the nineteen fifties. Prime fighters have off nights. They come in under prepared, or over confident, or get freak injuries, or make crucial tactical mistakes. Older fighters can have Indian Summer type moments or gain experience that can make them more effective in certain areas. It happens.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  11. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Yeah I was just trying to show that no matter where someone stops with this, someone else can always take it one step further.

12. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Fair enough. It can take you to some weird places though.