I'll be damned...William Warburton won a fight this year!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Aug 12, 2020.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Warby, who has since turned 33, scored an upset over Ryan Gall in February to snap a thirty-two loss skid and improve his record to 27-164-10.

I'm over the moon for him...but wondering whether he has chosen this high note to bow out on. A six month absence from the ring for him is drastic...he fought sixteen times in 2019! Granted, the Covid-19 outbreak hit global scale just half a dozen or so weeks after he beat Gall, but still. There have been small hall shows back on for a bit now, and he's the sort that shows up to any assignment, regardless of the circumstances, to fight for pay. If he is retired (and not just enjoying life in the dole), who will then take up the mantle of the UK's most tough and reliable round-going professional loser? (passed onto Warburton himself from the likes of Kristian Laight before him)

LoadedGlove, Badbot, haileris and 4 others like this.
  2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    His Boxrec picture is perfect. Can visualize that same cheeky smirk as his hand was being raised - the losing streak being broken.

Badbot likes this.
  3. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Might as well retire. He's not going to get any calls for a few months since he's not following the script.

velagod and sjp17 like this.
  4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

:ggg

Wizbit1013, DJN16, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  5. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    There's fighters with much worse records. Kevin McCauley, for example, is 15-207-12 and last won in November 2017 (he's had 53 fights since then). Or Qassim Hussain (4-104-2 - last win November 2016).

LoadedGlove likes this.
  6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I prefer his rival, Harry Hovis.

7. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    They fight to lose basically to keep getting pay days versus prospects, if everyone fought to win there wouldnt be a lot less of these inflated records around.

Reinhardt and Furey like this.
  8. split_decision

split_decision Electronic information tampers with your soul Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    William Warburton vs Conor McGregor should happen

9. KO Artist

KO Artist Do not attempt to adjust your TV Full Member

Aug 29, 2018
    hashtag this sh*t, get it trending.

split_decision likes this.
  10. Kokiri

Kokiri Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2016
    He might be a bit past it now but on his day Warburton could beat area/English level guys if he fancied it. Underated for a entry level journeyman I think.

Furey, DJN16, Inglis_1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Pretty clear that Gall has zero defence... minus 10 defence rather. Everytime Warburton tried anything more as a half assed punch, he landed.

12. Bondy365

Bondy365 Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Have only seen the guy boxing live once at a show in Liverpool and beat a welsh lad called mano lee.

Got talking to a man who had travelled from Wales to watch Mano and informed me that he had 100 quid on Mano to be a future world champion.

I believe after a few wins Mano then went on to lose a rematch with WW. Think it's safe to say that's £100 safe for the bookies

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ...idk about "much worse". Sure you could say that McCauley's winning percentage is half of Warburton's (a measly 6% compared to Warby's robust 13%) but really you're splitting hairs. 164 losses or 207, you're in the "been defeated a fuck ton of times" club either way.

Not sure why you seem to be white knighting anyway, since nobody's even attacking Warby. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm myself a fan, and my thread was only meant to be half tongue-in-cheek, while still genuinely chuffed that he upset another unready young upstart.

I know all about British record-padders, and the function they serve.. and yeah, quite often they have a fair bit more skill that you'd expect and the better ones (the ones good enough to get hundreds of jobs in their careers) usually have near-iron chins, often with only a handful of stoppage losses relatively speaking (like single digits, or very low double with staggering triple digit loss columns)...but I don't buy that all of them always just tank on purpose because that's more lucrative than letting their real ability shine through. Fact is, were their ability good enough to have themselves become a prospect or (even regional belt) contender they would've pursued that path...because I'm not sure what you think professional losers make per diem but it ain't much. The only way to scrape a living at it would be to keep a bullish schedule, which most can't hack. So yes, they deserve credit for putting in yeoman's work and serving as the backbone of the sport and separating the men from the pretenders, but don't let's over-mythicize them and suggest that if they were really giving it their honest all they wouldn't still have overall losing records in as many contests. (I'd buy that someone like Warburton, if he really tried decapitating every kid he was thrown in with, might double or even triple his winning percentage, but...26% and 38% are still low, and nobody in that range is a secret elite suppressing their power like a DVZ character and hiding in plain sight. :sisi1)

LoadedGlove, BCS8 and Rumsfeld like this.
  14. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Maybes they wouldmt have great winning records but some were maybes capable of a decent ceiling.

Take Yussef Al Hamidi for example. Only 15 fights into his career he had fought John Murray, Anthony Crolla, Michael Gomez, Ricky Burns, Michael Hunter and John Simpson aside from some other prospects.

He beat Crolla and got a win, he was robbed v Murray, pushed Burns and Hunter pretty close.

I mean from that lot hes fighting two future world champions a former and future world title contender and two British champions (one of which was a current champ) and the other who would drop a near prime Amir Khan the next year.

If he had more support behind him, wasnt fighting on a weekly basis, had full training camps he surely could have attained British title level.

LoadedGlove and sjp17 like this.
  15. Veys9

Veys9 Let's go Champ! Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I mean... If you go on page 3 of his records on boxrec, the beginning of his career looks quite successful.

This guy reminded me of the fighter on Kabayel's last fight's undercard, it was Miguel Aguilar. Had a draw in 2016 and lost all fights until now. He looked a bit psycho in the last fight, lol.

IntentionalButt likes this.