Injury from doing weights

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by DavidC77, Apr 30, 2022.

1. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I was exercising fairly regularly at home with dumbbells until I had pain in the crook of my left arm.

I stopped the exercises and have only done one brief set of weights exercises in nearly two months.

However, my arm still hurts when it's in certain positions, like if I'm pulling something over my shoulder e.g. carrying a rucksack or putting a jumper on etc...

Is there anything I can do other than continue to rest the arm?

2. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    No. Visit a doc. ASAP.

DavidC77 likes this.
  3. DavidC77

Aug 30, 2018
    ASAP? Would you say it's urgent from how I've described it?

It isn't agony. It just hurts a bit.

4. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    This stuff can turn into chronic **** pretty quickly. I have a friend who also worked out in the gym doing dumbbell bench press and he had some pain in the wrist afterwards. He just ignored it, waited a bit and went back to the gym. Pain came back. Rest. Pain came back. Rest. Pain came back. Now he's out for almost two years.

Everything that isn't going away after a few weeks (4-6) should be checked by a doc to prevent long term problems. IMO!

I don't know your age but if you were born in 1977 you're 44/45 i guess and especially at that age you should visit a doc. I'm 32 and i see some stuff really taking me out for one week which i just overcame with even more training when i was 19/20.

DavidC77 likes this.
  5. DavidC77

Aug 30, 2018
    I'm 44.

I'll get it checked out, thanks.

f1ght3rz likes this.
  6. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    What kind of exercises were you focusing on? Does your grip get weaker the harder you squeeze?

7. DavidC77

Aug 30, 2018
    Sorry, I don't understand.

If you squeeze something harder, your grip is going to be stronger, isn't it?

8. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    Well yes but certain injuries will prevent that from occurring as I once damaged something in my forearms which when I went to squeeze an object it actually increased the pain and weakened my grip.

DavidC77 likes this.
  9. DavidC77

Aug 30, 2018
    Sorry, I see what you mean now.

No, that doesn't happen. Gripping things isn't an issue but there is discomfort in the crook of my left arm when I bend it.

10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    It may be something simple that rest/ice will take care of. Or maybe something torn or strained like a ligament. It could require surgery (if it’s bothersome enough to correct) or perhaps just specific physical therapy that will get it sorted. Or maybe some anti-inflammatories.

I had a problem with my right arm (I’m a southpaw) from boxing workouts some years ago. Kind of behind the elbow it would lock up and be very painful. Had it checked out and was told to drink grape juice before and after workouts (it apparently it helps with joint pain) and I never had another problem. (If it’s a placebo I don’t want to know, haha.)

If it hasn’t gone away on its own by now I agree having a doc look at it is the way to go.

11. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    If I had to guess it would be the ligament which you should really get checked out because if you put it off like I did it takes FOREVER to heal.

Saintpat likes this.
  12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah mine was a tendinitis thing and only tightened up/hurt at the end of strenuous workouts (to the point that I’d usually finish throwing mostly lefts, even turning orthodox).

This sounds like it should definitely be checked out.

DavidC77 likes this.